• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Justin or Alex?

Finished watching the FX1 show on the 2016 World Series and the final 30 minutes of MLB's Joy in Wrigleyville an hour ago. I was surprised how much emotion remains. After 59 years of frustration I guess it should be expected. It also reminded me of family and friends, especially my mother. She didn't get the opportunity to experience a Cub championship in her lifetime of 93 years. Part of me thinks she and a lot more departed Cub fans like her had something to do with that rain delay. Seems a silly thought, but I doubt I'm alone in thinking it.

Thanks to all of you who have been a part of this thread over the past two years. It means a lot. Even you Biff.

I was in the RF bleachers for Game 6 of the NLCS. The number of grown men and women crying during the 9th innning all around me was astounding - and I have to admit I teared up myself. I think each and every person in those stands was remembering someone who had either passed or who was still alive but old and no doubt celebrating from home as the World Series neared.

Justin Wilson. Hard throwing LHP. Not surprising.

Cubs confirm that Koji Uehara signed a one year contract for $6 million.

Looking ahead to 2017- hungry for another, or just sheer joy/relief that it finally happened, and will bask in that glow for years to come?

His market hasn't been that great and he might come cheap. Also, he wears a lot of vests with no shirt underneath - very Cubs kinda guy.

And he's capable of going yard in a playoff game.

And he's capable of going yard in a playoff game.

073116_woodcatch_med_o5c58oty.gif

tumblr_n4ew44CZG31ro5xweo1_400.gif

The Cubs have signed three arbitration eligible players. Jake Arrieta signed a one year contract for $15,367,500. Hector Rondon signed a one year contract for $5,800,000. Justin Grimm signed a one year contract for $1,825,000. Pedro Strop remains unsigned and will enter arbitration.

David Ross has been signed by the Cubs as a special assistant to baseball operations.

Last edited:
A couple of recent transactions. The Cubs signed free agent, LHP Brett Anderson to a one year contract. Anderson has had a history of injuries over his eight year major league career. He was reasonably effective in 2015 as part of the Dodger rotation. A Bosio project.

The Cubs swapped RHP James Farris to the Colorado Rockies for RHP Eddie Butler. Butler was a first round pick by the Rockies in 2012 and has spent the last three seasons on the shuttle between the minors and the bigs. Farris was a ninth round pick by the Cubs in 2014 and finished last season at AA Tennessee. Dylan Floro, a RHP claimed by the Cubs off waivers from Tampa Bay was DFA to make room for Farris on the 40 man roster. Another Bosio project.

Pretty boring spring training so far, since most of the team has returned intact. The starting rotation will begin to make their spring debuts today as Kyle Hendricks starts todays game.

Pitching prospect Carson Sands underwent surgery to remove bone chips in his left elbow and will be sidelined through June. Prospect Corey Black underwent Tommy John surgery and will be out for the year.

The thread title could use an update.

Great way to start the season and go ahead and assert our dominance in the Central again.

Stupid Reds preventing it for another day, but I have a feeling we'll secure the outright Central lead for the duration manana

Molina and the Velcro chest protector. Who would have thought it. Anyone taking bets on who leaves when Duensing returns from the DL?

Back