• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

I hate watching the Cubs this year, we are so bad/mediocre. Every time it looks like we could have a decent run, our pitchers give up 100 runs or our bats miss everything.

Hoping we dont move any pieces this year, one pitcher is not winning us the division, even though 84/85 wins probably wins the central this year.

Agree completely. Kind of like Charlie Brown, Lucy and a football. When I was typing the last post I was watching Montgomery blow up and felt like I was cursing him. Now Leathersich gets an opportunity to be cursed.

Brewers finish off the Cubs 11-2. Schwarber goes 0 for 4 with two K's. The other two AB's were ground ball outs to 2B, the result of trying to pull pitches on the outside part of the plate. Same results, different day.

I believe Schwarber needs to catch. Too much time to ruminate playing the outfield. Keep his mind and body occupied with the demands behind the plate and let him contribute playing the position in which he identifies himself. It would also allow him to track pitches to plate, which is how he prepared himself to hit in the World Series. Keep Contreras the starter and Schwarbs the back up. Bat him eighth. If he starts hitting increase his PT.

The worst part is this team is basically the same team that won 200 games the past two years - the defense and pitching has just broken down. If we are required to score 5 runs to win every game, we are screwed, and thats basically where we are at.

I wouldn't be opposed to going out and getting controllable, long term starters - not for this year, but knowing Jake is gone after this year and we are left with Lester, Hendricks and a bunch of question marks - if we can get one (or two) solid starter(s) that are controllable through 2020+ then we can spend in other places, we have $90 million coming off the books this year, assume $25-$30 million is going to the arb guys - we have a decent amount to plug the holes in our lineup and staff. Would be great to get a Sonny Gray who has 2 more arb years, Archer or Odorizzi, or (pie in the sky) Marcus Stroman who the Jays are supposedly at least listening on. The return would be crushing to our minors, but thats the only type of trade I would think Theo makes unless something miraculous happens and the cubs go on some kind of streak.

Not an ideal start today

A less than ideal finish to lose a laugher 14-3 and finish 43-45 at the break. I keep thinking Theo should consider a trade for Arrieta if it would bring a promising young starter. Lackey as well but I doubt he has value.

A less than ideal finish to lose a laugher 14-3 and finish 43-45 at the break. I keep thinking Theo should consider a trade for Arrieta if it would bring a promising young starter. Lackey as well but I doubt he has value.

Why would anyone want to trade for Arrieta now? Especially giving up a young starter for a guy who has a big contract, is not pitching well and will be a free agent this winter? Jose Quintana would actually fit the Cubs needs very well right now, but neither team would be interested in trading with each other.

Cubs aren't selling. Even if they were, Lackey is a non-starter in any trade cause he sucks. Jake is an FA next year, so I guess, if we potentially lose every game from now until the end of the month, he could look at moving him - but I highly doubt it.

Quintana has 3/$30 left, which would be a steal - if there was a fit, I could see it happening, but the Sox are going to want a big haul in return.

And while I see no reason why we would be opposed to bringing him aboard, if the Hose deal him they're clearly going to sell him elsewhere

Who knows, maybe this team gets some rest, does a reset and makes a run at defending. I'm conditioned to plan for the worst and it's easy to do when you watch a team fall off in every phase of the game.

LOL ! Why the hell would the Tigers trade an All-Star pitcher for that fatass ? Do they need a career .200 hitter on the bench or would they be trying to load up on Triple-A All-Stars ? I guess they cold play him in the small ballparks for his power.

Only five starters throughout the farm system have an ERA under 3.00. Jen-Ho Tseng was just promoted to Iowa. Justin Steele and Adbert Alzolay are in Myrtle Beach. Duncan Robinson and Dylan Cease are in South Bend. No help anytime soon.

Dakota Mekkes may be a name to remember. A 10th round draft pick in 2016, he was recently promoted from South Bend to Myrtle Beach. In 66.2 career IP he has surrendered 33 hits and 6 earned runs for a 0.81 ERA, a .146 AVG and a 0.87 WHIP.

Back