• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Only five starters throughout the farm system have an ERA under 3.00. Jen-Ho Tseng was just promoted to Iowa. Justin Steele and Adbert Alzolay are in Myrtle Beach. Duncan Robinson and Dylan Cease are in South Bend. No help anytime soon.

Dakota Mekkes may be a name to remember. A 10th round draft pick in 2016, he was recently promoted from South Bend to Myrtle Beach. In 66.2 career IP he has surrendered 33 hits and 6 earned runs for a 0.81 ERA, a .146 AVG and a 0.87 WHIP.

There is a chance Tseng is added to the 40 man and given a shot in September. But, he's Kyle Hendricks at best, not saving this team

Cubs aren't selling. Even if they were, Lackey is a non-starter in any trade cause he sucks. Jake is an FA next year, so I guess, if we potentially lose every game from now until the end of the month, he could look at moving him - but I highly doubt it.

Quintana has 3/$30 left, which would be a steal - if there was a fit, I could see it happening, but the Sox are going to want a big haul in return.

Whelp, there goes our top hitting and top pitching prospect. But, 3 years of Quintana.

If we end up winning another ring in the next four years I have a feeling Hose fans are gonna be slightly salty

My initial impression is that the White Sox got the better end of this. It's hard to assess because our goals (short term vs. long term) are so different. That's a lot to get Quintana, even if it is for 3 years at a reasonable price.

The only two assets that matter are still really young - my guess is Cease is definitely going to play in the bigs for awhile, but he may end up being a reliever, so thats not the worst loss. Eloy projects to be an above average MLB player, with a great bat - hes still a couple of years away, so you never know, but my guess is he will be around awhile.

Flete and Rose are throw-ins, not sure there is much value there.

All of that for Jose Quintana? Really? Him?

I mean, a guy who has been a top 10 pitcher for the last 4 years, is only 28 and has a 3/$30 contract still remaining is going to get a huge return - top 10 prospect+ would have been expected. I didn't expect the Cubs to do it, but whatevs. Look at any of the recent top pitcher trades and who is involved - he's having a down-ish season right now, but he is still a top pitcher, not sure that can be debated.

The Cubs push all of their chips to the center of the table to get a quality left handed starter in Quintana. I like the timing since the FO provides a immediate spark for the players returning from the break. This also reinforces the stated FO belief that the present roster is a proven commodity capable of championships now and into the future. Is the cost too high? Not if it produces championships.

Jimenez, Flete and Rose walked across the diamond at Myrtle Beach to join their new club the Winston-Salem Dash. All three started for the Dash this evening and helped the Dash defeat the Pelicans 3-2. That's an uncommon experience in any sport.

Fortunately, Addison Russell answered with a home run in the ninth to steal a victory from what could have been a devastating loss. He did that with regularity last year. Not so this year. Cubs need it.

Our pitching is top notch. Lets just put up 9 runs a game moving forward, should be fine, I think.

Morosi reports Cubs are still asking about Sonny Gray. Not sure whats left besides someone on the MLB roster now. Candelario, Alzolay, Tseng, de la Cruz, Caratini, Rice, Maples and Steele all have some value - but it would take a lot of those guys together to make anything close to a package for Gray. Alzolay supposedly has top 100 prospect talent, but the Cubs had been trying to hide him before this year - he pitched well in A ball.

Dunno, maybe just smoke and mirrors to drive his price up for the Brewers, who are also in on Gray.

Candelario is the only top 100 prospect remaining. Adbert Alzolay, Justin Steele, Jen-Ho Tseng and Dillon Maples ascend to the top 30 Cub prospect list.

There is plenty of talent in the dugout. They just need to play to their abilities. If they don't there isn't an addition to be made that would make a difference.

Jose Quintana knows how to make a great first impression. The Cub lineup steps up early to ensure the win and get the sweep in Baltimore. On to Atlanta to play three against the improved Braves.

Let's have everyone pitch this bad to us moving forward

Pretty pumped, will be at the game tomorrow in Atlanta for Lester/Teheran

Great game, really like suntrust - pretty great venue. Wade tried to give me a heart attack.

Back