• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

First inning. Lackey gets out of a bases loaded, nobody out jam surrendering one run. Cubs respond with a five run first sending Simon to the showers. Lackey makes up for the run by hitting a RBI single. Go figure.

Last edited:
Cubs win 9-2. Lackey surrenders 2 runs in 6.2 innings. Everyone in the lineup contributes aided by 10 walks. Heyward with an outstanding catch in right. Bryant hits his first HR. Take it.

We are scoring a ton of runs in hot and cold weather and doing so without Schwarber or Baez.

I thought we were just a dumb, young, free-swinging team though?

I'm assuming this was a weird joke, but the Cubs were 3 walks shy of leading the lead last year - they never had a problem working the count and getting pitch counts high - they just didn't put a lot of balls in play.

There are a ton of bombs being hit around the league, and the Cubs are leading the league in runs scored, but only middle of the pack in homers/slugging.

I'm assuming this was a weird joke, but the Cubs were 3 walks shy of leading the lead last year - they never had a problem working the count and getting pitch counts high - they just didn't put a lot of balls in play.

There are a ton of bombs being hit around the league, and the Cubs are leading the league in runs scored, but only middle of the pack in homers/slugging.

I've listened to all the away broadcasts and all they talk about is this team "not being plate disciplined", or "FREE-SWINGING", or "impatient".

It's comical how people don't let facts get in the way of their opinion.

We are scoring a ton of runs in hot and cold weather and doing so without Schwarber or Baez.

.381 OBP is not sustainable - but its nice to see - we should continue to get on base, just a matter of if we can drive them in.

I've watched the Red's series using the Red's announcers. They have been very complimentary of the Cubs patience and approach offensively. They are especially impressed with the four LH hitters at the top of the lineup against RH pitching. They seem to think it is a difference maker.

Javier Baez joins the Cubs off the DL. Kawasaki optioned to Iowa. After sweeping the series with the Reds the Cubs lose the opener to Colorado. The bats were silent and the four errors they committed were twice as many as they had committed on the season.

Cubs pitching has been outstanding and is the primary reason for their success so far. Lead MLB in most categories that count. The offense hasn't been bad, but if you look at the averages of the starters most are considerably below their career numbers. Certainly room for improvement.

This is going to be a fun year. Lackey was outstanding, and Dexter continues to carry us.

Hopefully he core group of hitters pick it up when the pitching cools off.

Cards having Garcia and Martinez as their 4th and 5th starters is tough - should be a good next two games, Hammel and Hendricks have both looked good too.

Cubs are still doing a good job of putting the ball in play - it will come for JHey, Rizz, Zo, Soler and Russell.

Garcia coming off probably the best game of his life.

Fowler leads the league in WAR at 1.5 by .4 over the next closest. For reference, that is the difference between 2nd and 15th.

Good road win last night to kickoff the Cards series and bounce back from the series loss to the Rockies. This team has hit a ridiculous number of home runs so far.

Good road win last night to kickoff the Cards series and bounce back from the series loss to the Rockies. This team has hit a ridiculous number of home runs so far.

Who has? The cards? They have a solid offense - Hazelbaker and Diaz will come back to earth at some point, but they have pop.

Yes, sorry I was unclear - the Cards. I was surprised when I saw their totals last night, I don't know why I was expecting fewer from them.

FWIW. Soler had three plate appearances last night. He went 0-3. First time up he hit a liner to CF that left the bat at 111 mph. MLB batting average for balls hit that hard is .750. Strike out in second AB. Third appearance he hit a short hopper to the shortstop that resulted in an error that allowed the Cubs to add to their one run lead. Ball left bat at 115 mph. Those were the two hardest hit balls of the game. Third place was a 109 mph HR by Fowler.

Back