• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

It's really annoying how the Cardinals find these (inevitably white) guys who are not highly regarded yet produce out the yazoo for them

Cubs beat the Cards 2-1. Jason Hammel with six quality innings and a two RBI single takes the spotlight. Heyward put on a defensive clinic in right field. Cub bats looked lousy but the pitching and defense were solid.

Last edited:
Garcia makes a lot of people look silly, when he's healthy he is a cy pitcher - knew there was not going to be many HR opportunities against him. Happy to get out of there with a win.

Hendricks/Martinez tonight should be another good one - expecting the Cards bats to come alive, they had 85 runs in 12 games before this series, gonna need some runs tonight to win.

Garcia had a few breaking balls which made me do a double take they were so filthy. Hammel driving in both runs while only giving up one run in six is a really solid outing. He's been solid so far this year. Moving Zobrist down in the line up last night was new it seemed - moving Bryant to 3 from 5. It will be interesting today to see if that was just a one game thing or if Maddon is just tinkering with things. Get the sweep today Cubbies!

Lots of prospects having a good start:

Ian Happ - 1st round pick last year, 21 in high A - have him playing exclusively 2B this year - assuming that will change as he is struggling in the field. Guessing they try to get him some reps in CF - looking like a solid top of the lineup hitter, solid speed, decent pop, good plate discipline - hes not as good as Schwarber or Bryant, but looking like he could push through the minors quickly if we find a place for him

Donnie Dewees - 2nd round pick last year, 22 in A ball - playing COF, seeing the ball well, 8 XBH in 50 PAs so far, batting over .400 - they are playing him at CF, so maybe there is a chance he is the fallback plan for 2018 if Almora is not the answer - another guy that has gap power, won't hit a lot of HRs, but can get on and has speed

Vogelbach & Contreras - everyone knows about them, but both are continuing solid play in Iowa this year - Vogelbach always gets off to hot starts, but if he keeps hitting the way he does, he may get a call-up - definitely a september guy - he's gone at the end of the year in Rule 5 if the Cubs don't do anything with him - he's not taking Riz's spot, but giving up on solid hitting players is tough - he could take Schwarbers spot if we test in him in LF. Contreras is setting up to be the everyday catcher next year - his bat keeps getting better and he is known for his defense.

Exciting time to be a cubs fan - Theo has set them up for the next 5+ years to be contenders - pitching may be a struggle since we don't have a ton of young pitchers in the system, Underwood, Cease, Sands and Steele could be good, but they are a few years away - most of our high minor pitchers are struggling or barely average.

Cubs in a laugher at Cincinnati leading 13-0 after seven innings. Maddon would probably like to remove Arrieta after 94 pitches but he's stuck. Arrieta is pitching a no hitter.

Yeah this is comical.

I still say pull him if he hits like 105. There will be others. Good news is Arrieta is a workout freak so he can withstand a high pitch count game.

This Reds bullpen is a clown show

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

How many walks would you give Arrieta before pulling him for pitch count?

That's some B's right there

Sorry for doubting your Cy repeat chances, Mr. Arrieta.

15 more games Reds. Prepare your butts

Back