• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson says all players have to attend both sessions of summer school

berneses

Reaction score
Interesting. I think Grobe gave most of the players off the first session. Folks, there is a new sheriff in town and he means business.

Well, if they do that they can take a lighter load in the fall. There is method to the madness. And they can be lifting during both sessions. How much of a break is there between the end of the spring semester and the first summer session?

I bet Grobe would've let Moto play point.

Well, if they do that they can take a lighter load in the fall. There is method to the madness. And they can be lifting during both sessions. How much of a break is there between the end of the spring semester and the first summer session?

looks like spring semester is over May 8th and summer session starts May 28th.

I always assumed this was going on. Why not try and lighten the load during the season by taking some stuff in the summer? You take one class each session and you've got a ton of free time to work out, study, etc. The time demands that make things harder are much less. Plus, the atmosphere is laid back and the classes are usually a bit easier. Just seems like this should have been going on before now.

I always assumed this was going on. Why not try and lighten the load during the season by taking some stuff in the summer? You take one class each session and you've got a ton of free time to work out, study, etc. The time demands that make things harder are much less. Plus, the atmosphere is laid back and the classes are usually a bit easier. Just seems like this should have been going on before now.

Heck, that is what I did undergrad and I wasn't an athlete. Take summer school classes and take the minimum classes each semester to remain full time.

I'm sure most players take 12 hours in the fall anyways, regardless of how many summer sessions they take.

When everyone was red shirting, the expectation was you'd be here five years. That's 10 semesters of 12 hours giving you the 120 you need to graduate. Throw in 5 summer sessions and that's another 15 hours.

Grobe rarely had an issue with kids only having to take 12 hours. That said, this is definitely more advantageous for the additional lifting time and for guys not getting redshirted.

My thought as well

Don't let anyone say that Wake does not have any money. A regular student pays more than $62,000 a year to go to just the regular Wake school sessions. Now on top of that, Wake pays for its football players - maybe even its basketball players - to go to BOTH sessions of summer school? How much more is that expense? In the old days, the only way the school paid for summer school is if the player was in academic trouble. I remember a football player friend of mine signing up for a summer session but had to go home because he could not afford summer school. I am not saying making the player go to summer school - for football reason - is bad, I am just saying that it is going to add to the cost of that football scholarship. How much does two summer school school sessions cost today? There are a lot of jobs out there that don't pay $62,000 + a year.

Don't let anyone say that Wake does not have any money. A regular student pays more than $62,000 a year to go to just the regular Wake school sessions. Now on top of that, Wake pays for its football players - maybe even its basketball players - to go to BOTH sessions of summer school? How much more is that expense? In the old days, the only way the school paid for summer school is if the player was in academic trouble. I remember a football player friend of mine signing up for a summer session but had to go home because he could not afford summer school. I am not saying making the player go to summer school - for football reason - is bad, I am just saying that it is going to add to the cost of that football scholarship. How much does two summer school school sessions cost today? There are a lot of jobs out there that don't pay $62,000 + a year.

I think we are overpriced.

Pretty sure this is a department change. Wake Deac is right in that previously you had to have academic issues not to attend all Summer. I would guess that every BCS school has had its kids on campus all Summer but Wake. This is not a Grobe thing but Wake athletic policy change.

I would imagine in 8 summer sessions you would run out of classes you actually want to take or need to take. Especially as an upperclassman with a major.

Potentially four foreign language classes..throw in a little English, history, politics, stats, philosophy, psychology, sociology...should work out ok.

Pretty sure this is a department change. Wake Deac is right in that previously you had to have academic issues not to attend all Summer. I would guess that every BCS school has had its kids on campus all Summer but Wake. This is not a Grobe thing but Wake athletic policy change.

This is a Clawson thing.

careful! strengthening the NLRB position that scholarship athletes are full time employees! :naughty:

Back