• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson says all players have to attend both sessions of summer school

I can't believe we haven't been doing this all along either. Plus the coaching staff gets to see who is working out, running, lifting etc., even if there are no formal practices. It helps to be around your friends and teammates for motivation and pushing. And then having big brother watching doesn't hurt either. Clawson knows what he's doing. Kind of a no-brainer though.

It's my understanding that there is a new NCAA rule that permits coaches to have 8 hours of practice/film/lifting time per week with the players and this is why the players will be attending both sessions.

Don't let anyone say that Wake does not have any money. A regular student pays more than $62,000 a year to go to just the regular Wake school sessions. Now on top of that, Wake pays for its football players - maybe even its basketball players - to go to BOTH sessions of summer school? How much more is that expense? In the old days, the only way the school paid for summer school is if the player was in academic trouble. I remember a football player friend of mine signing up for a summer session but had to go home because he could not afford summer school. I am not saying making the player go to summer school - for football reason - is bad, I am just saying that it is going to add to the cost of that football scholarship. How much does two summer school school sessions cost today? There are a lot of jobs out there that don't pay $62,000 + a year.

It isn't like the school is laying out extra cash for the player to attend the extra summer school classes like a non-athlete would. The classes are already being offered and paid for, the player is now just in on them (though I guess if the entire team is attending they may have to add a few class sessions, but the cost of that would seem marginal). Primarily the only thing extra that the school is paying for is their food. The other stuff is already there.

Traditionally, which session of summer school is the toughest? The 1st or 2nd?

Probably the second, but only inasmuch as a student may be taking a prerequisite during the first session for the more advanced class in the second session (think o-chem 1 and 2, which used to be offered over the summer). If you're just taking random classes, like the football team likely is, then I don't think there is an appreciable difference.

Traditionally, which session of summer school is the toughest? The 1st or 2nd?

I always felt the 2nd was tougher. Not in academic rigor, per se, but there always seemed to be less people around campus and there was a sense summer was coming to an end and fall semester was looming.

I always preferred the first session of summer school, mostly due to the temperatures. The second session is pretty much the dog days of summer, which can be completely miserable.

Dooley always encouraged attending summer school, but it wasn't required. Definitely more of a football decision than academic. However, there are clear advantages to both.

I always thought summer school was a lot of fun. Hanging out with completely different people you otherwise wouldn't have met was the best part for me.

At a school like Wake, summer school makes all the sense in the world. Especially for kids on athletic scholarship. Good move by coach. I really love what this guy is doing on and off the field.

Interesting. I think Grobe gave most of the players off the first session. Folks, there is a new sheriff in town and he means business.

Don't think that's true.

Grobe "let" some guys, if they were in good academic standing, go home to meet with personal trainers, or just get out of town for a bit. Which is a good thing. Not everyone who goes to wake is from Winston Salem, so going home is nice. This isn't a professional team.

But from my experience, most guys attended both sessions. Its much easier to take 2 classes, during the summer, without a full football schedule.

ETA: I think there is a pretty strict time limit for how much time you can spend with players during the summer as well. I'm fairly certain its less than 10 hours a week.

Last edited:
I think somebody posted 8 hours earlier.

Clawson may eventually go with Grobe's policy, but this definitely makes sense for going into Clawson's first season.

I see that Coaches are now allowed 8 hours contact with players during the summer but I have not been able to find out what type of contact they can have. Can they conduct skill based practice or are they still stuck with conditioning drills only?

I see that Coaches are now allowed 8 hours contact with players during the summer but I have not been able to find out what type of contact they can have. Can they conduct skill based practice or are they still stuck with conditioning drills only?

I believe it's limited to workouts and film study. Now the players can still practice routes/etc and things like that on their own. The coaches will just give them a script of what plays to work on.

I think somebody posted 8 hours earlier.

Clawson may eventually go with Grobe's policy, but this definitely makes sense for going into Clawson's first season.

Yeah exactly. This actually caught a little bit of heat on the Clemson board, which surprised me because Reds love their football and I think they would be singing a different tune if Dabo did this.

I like it. Clawson needs to toughen up the lazy, doughy players that developed as Grobe stood on the sideline contemplating the meaning of life. Get on board, or get out. Buy in to what Clawson is bringing, or go play at an FCS school where you don't get penalized for not busting ass 24/7.

If this is an NCAA maximum rule, then we better do the maximum allowed, or we'll fall behind. Division 1 athletics at the Power 5 level and big-time athletics and if you aren't maxing out the time you are granted, then you are falling behind.

I loved summer school at Wake - several of my favorite classes while at Wake were only offered as summer courses

Back