• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cleveland Indians going to be sued. Braves next?

simosfrostyone

Reaction score
Something called the American Indian Education Center (is that name offensive?) is going to sue the Cleveland Indians for $9 billion. The case is a loser, but you Brave fans need to get ready for the drum beat to begin. (Can I say that?). Who knows, there may be some church folks who find "Demon Deacons" offensive, and after four years of Name Redacted they might have a case.

excellent. I hope we change our name to the Atlanta CRUNK

I will also accept the Atlanta FAT CHIPPER JONESES

Here's the litmus test: if it's something you wouldn't say to the face of someone in the class, then it's probably offensive. In the case of Cleveland and Atlanta, the logos were the big issues. Caricatures can easily be insulting. In Washington's case, it's the name. I think the Braves quietly retired the Indian-faced logo they used in the 70's-80's. The names, though, aren't inherently pejorative, unlike Washington's. And one does not need to be a member of a suspect class in order to be offended by derogatory terms applied to that class. I'm certainly not equating the offense of hearing it with being the recipient but to assert that if you're not a member you shouldn't be offended is silly. And it's also weak to assert that because some members of that group have no problems with the name doesn't mean you can't argue its offensiveness. But I don't think the cases against Cleveland or Atlanta (if/when it happens) are on the same ground as Washington's.

My alma mater is known as the Braves, but had a bobcat as a mascot when I was there (I believe it is now a gargoyle).

In the mid-2000s, the NCAA ruled initially that it was an inappropriate name even though we had retired the offensive logos. Even had Iowa claim that they wouldn't play us because of our name (though didn't hear a problem with the Fighting Illini being in their conference). If the Atlanta Braves don't have the logo anymore, I personally don't see a problem.

Here's the litmus test: if it's something you wouldn't say to the face of someone in the class, then it's probably offensive. In the case of Cleveland and Atlanta, the logos were the big issues. Caricatures can easily be insulting. In Washington's case, it's the name. I think the Braves quietly retired the Indian-faced logo they used in the 70's-80's. The names, though, aren't inherently pejorative, unlike Washington's. And one does not need to be a member of a suspect class in order to be offended by derogatory terms applied to that class. I'm certainly not equating the offense of hearing it with being the recipient but to assert that if you're not a member you shouldn't be offended is silly. And it's also weak to assert that because some members of that group have no problems with the name doesn't mean you can't argue its offensiveness. But I don't think the cases against Cleveland or Atlanta (if/when it happens) are on the same ground as Washington's.

I don't think I would call anyone in any class the Devil to their face. Should that be changed?

I don't think I would call anyone in any class the Devil to their face. Should that be changed?

You probably wouldn't call them a coat hanger either. It's pretty clear what this is about; don't be silly.

The Seminoles and Fighting Illini are screwed. You too ND.

So what? It only matters if rich white people are offended for them...

"Seminoles" and "Illini" aren't derogatory. Neither is "Irish." I know the argument on those names is either the pandering (in FSU's case) or the use of "fighting." I won't say I like the Chief Osceola schtick but in the other two areas, it's hard to argue offensiveness at its core. I get the "fighting" aspect but that's hardly limited to a particular race.

Last edited:
Those are fair points.

"Seminoles" and "Illini" aren't derogatory. Neither is "Irish." I know the argument on those names is either the pandering (in FSU's case) or the use of "fighting." I won't say I like the Chief Osceola schtick but in the other two areas, it's hard to argue offensiveness at its core. I get the "fighting" aspect but that's hardly limited to a particular race.

Meh, Osceola is supported by the tribe and the give full rides to Seminole Indians. I've no beef with FSU.

Meh, Osceola is supported by the tribe and the give full rides to Seminole Indians. I've no beef with FSU.

Well that's fine and well in that particular case. And I think each case needs to be looked at in its own merit; I don't think a blanket approach to this is practical or necessary. What does bother me about Osceola is that the student portraying him is usually (always?) a white kid with good equestrian skills. There's something Hollywoodish about it. And I think we can all agree that an actor in black- or red face- will meet scrutiny. But I'll admit my bias here- I just fucking hate FSU.

Back