• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cleveland Indians going to be sued. Braves next?

Have you ever met an Irishman?

Family is from Tipperary. So, quite a few. Ultimately, the "would you say it to a person's face" test is where this ends up. Brave, Seminole, Irish, even Tar Heel aren't pejoratives (though the last one may get you decked at any given time of the year). Get on a bus of Native Americans and say "hey you Redskins" and report back on the outcome.

Family is from Tipperary. So, quite a few. Ultimately, the "would you say it to a person's face" test is where this ends up. Brave, Seminole, Irish, even Tar Heel aren't pejoratives (though the last one may get you decked at any given time of the year). Get on a bus of Native Americans and say "hey you Redskins" and report back on the outcome.

I don't know what would happen. I know there are several high schools that majority American Indian that have a mascot named "Redskins".

I don't know what would happen. I know there are several high schools that majority American Indian that have a mascot named "Redskins".

Yes you do; stop being coy. At one time, black people accepted being called "negro" and openly used it. Our mentalities and languages evolve but acceptance doesn't make it legitimate.

Yes you do; stop being coy. At one time, black people accepted being called "negro" and openly used it. Our mentalities and languages evolve but acceptance doesn't make it legitimate.

I am not talking about history. I am taking about today 7/1/2014 there are several American Indian high schools with the mascot Redskins.

I am not talking about history. I am taking about today 7/1/2014 there are several American Indian high schools with the mascot Redskins.

What do you think this adds or subtracts to a defense of the name or the greater ethical concerns at play? A lot of screwed up institutions continue to exist in this country, but does their existence alone justify their existence and maintenance?

And there's plenty of "n" word usage in rap music. Still doesn't pass the litmus test.

What do you think this adds or subtracts to a defense of the name or the greater ethical concerns at play? A lot of screwed up institutions continue to exist in this country, but does their existence alone justify their existence and maintenance?

I am not sure what it means. And I have been clear that I would change the name of the Washington football team. I was speaking to the "you would get punched in face if you said that to an American Indian in person" argument. I don't know if that is true...I am not sure that feeling exists on the American Indian community. I know I would justifiably get punched if I called a black person the "n word". I also know there is no way a high school...especially a majority black high school... Would be called the "n words".

I am not sure what it means. And I have been clear that I would change the name of the Washington football team. I was speaking to the "you would get punched in face if you said that to an American Indian in person" argument. I don't know if that is true...I am not sure that feeling exists on the American Indian community. I know I would justifiably get punched if I called a black person the "n word". I also know there is no way a high school...especially a majority black high school... Would be called the "n words".

You really can't be serious here.

Take the time to read this article: http://mmqb.si.com/2014/04/03/washington-nfl-team-name-debate/7/ It's been out a while but does a really good job discussing the background on the terms.

Last edited:

Why don't you test your hypotheses in the world if the issue is so confounding to you? I mean this seriously. I don't understand why so many Americans respond to controversial issues in this way? The "research" you and others cite is extremely problematic. I, personally, wouldn't feel comfortable basing my opinion on such shaky science...

Back