• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

COD:Modern Warfare 3 questions

tvcigar

Steve Lepore
Reaction score
The game releases November 8th and there is this new subscription ELITE service that is going to run 50 bucks a year. Anybody know anything about this? Can you play on-line without the service? My research is coming up with nothing but promotional stuff from Activision and I'm hoping for more un-biased answers.

Thanks in advance
tvcigar

First video game I've ever pre-ordered. I feel like a huge dork.

That being said, the game will be fucking awesome.

The game releases November 8th and there is this new subscription ELITE service that is going to run 50 bucks a year. Anybody know anything about this? Can you play on-line without the service? My research is coming up with nothing but promotional stuff from Activision and I'm hoping for more un-biased answers.

Thanks in advance
tvcigar

Yes you can play online without the service. My BF says it is a rip off they are charging you money for a facebook like application where you can meet other players.

If you pay for it, I believe you get the DLC maps for free as they come out throughout the next 12 months.

As to the original question.....my buddies are more excited for Battlefield....which is gonna be better?!?!?!

As to the original question.....my buddies are more excited for Battlefield....which is gonna be better?!?!?!

I picked up BF3 yesterday, game looks amazing. It's incredible, even on the low settings I'm currently forced to play on (new graphics card is on the way though ftw).

I picked up BF3 for Xbox, but I am just not sure how I feel about it yet.

The single player campaign is shockingly bad, but the multiplayer almost makes up for it. I still feel like so many things in multiplayer are broken and that it seriously needs a major patch to be "right."

It feels way too much like they were desperate to get it out two weeks before MW3 so they didn't fix any of the problems from the Beta.

I picked up BF3 for Xbox, but I am just not sure how I feel about it yet.

The single player campaign is shockingly bad, but the multiplayer almost makes up for it. I still feel like so many things in multiplayer are broken and that it seriously needs a major patch to be "right."

It feels way too much like they were desperate to get it out two weeks before MW3 so they didn't fix any of the problems from the Beta.

I kind of liked the campaign, though it felt short. Everyone buys these games for the multiplayer anyway though, so I can understand them not putting a ton of time into that story.

What do you think is wrong about the multiplayer? On the PC at least it feels pretty decent. I just started playing non-DM type games last night and those are actually pretty cool, even if I have yet to successfully defend on a rush game.

I loved 1942 and Desert Combat, I wonder if I would like BF3.

I kind of liked the campaign, though it felt short. Everyone buys these games for the multiplayer anyway though, so I can understand them not putting a ton of time into that story.

What do you think is wrong about the multiplayer? On the PC at least it feels pretty decent. I just started playing non-DM type games last night and those are actually pretty cool, even if I have yet to successfully defend on a rush game.

I think rush and conquest are fantastic! I also really enjoy that BF3 rewards you for things other than just killing people. Makes me feel like I am actually helping if I am suppressing someone with a machine gun.

However, I have to nitpick at a lot of the interface problems (keep in mind I am playing on an Xbox). The squad functions don't work about half the time. You can have people in a party and in a squad, join a game and people in your squad will continually be on the opposing team. I also find it extremely frustrating that during intermission I cannot work on my class loadouts. You can only do that in game. Likewise, if you want to quit out of a match, you cannot quit during the intermission. You have to wait until the next match starts and THEN you can quit.

The servers for Xbox have been down about as much as they have been operational since launch it seems.

I think it is asinine that there is no way to practice dirving particular vehicles (jets) except in an actual multiplayer game.

I also can't stand that if you and my brother and I are in squad playing rush and we want to go play deathmatch, I have to change the game type to deathmatch and then invite all of you back into that game with me instead of just being able to move the squad from game type to game type.

A lot of little things like that are frustrating to me and seem like things that could have been addressed before the final release. I am just hoping some of that is patched quickly, because I feel like there is an incredible multiplayer game there when it's actually working.

There is no single player against bots?

That sucks, I loved practicing in the helicopters and A-10s in Desert Combat.

I played the MW2 campaign all the way through but only got two or three levels into black ops before I quit. I only really care about multiplayer.

I think rush and conquest are fantastic! I also really enjoy that BF3 rewards you for things other than just killing people. Makes me feel like I am actually helping if I am suppressing someone with a machine gun.

However, I have to nitpick at a lot of the interface problems (keep in mind I am playing on an Xbox). The squad functions don't work about half the time. You can have people in a party and in a squad, join a game and people in your squad will continually be on the opposing team. I also find it extremely frustrating that during intermission I cannot work on my class loadouts. You can only do that in game. Likewise, if you want to quit out of a match, you cannot quit during the intermission. You have to wait until the next match starts and THEN you can quit.

The servers for Xbox have been down about as much as they have been operational since launch it seems.

I think it is asinine that there is no way to practice dirving particular vehicles (jets) except in an actual multiplayer game.

I also can't stand that if you and my brother and I are in squad playing rush and we want to go play deathmatch, I have to change the game type to deathmatch and then invite all of you back into that game with me instead of just being able to move the squad from game type to game type.

A lot of little things like that are frustrating to me and seem like things that could have been addressed before the final release. I am just hoping some of that is patched quickly, because I feel like there is an incredible multiplayer game there when it's actually working.

Ahhh yeah, all very good points. The game selection/joining as party thing is a little rough. All easy fixes though.

I also don't like being unable to change kits outside of the game.

Servers on PC have been fine (though I think they're basically user hosted, amirite?)

I took down a helicopter from a good distance using a tank yesterday, it was awesome. Best multiplayer moment for me yet.

Ahhh yeah, all very good points. The game selection/joining as party thing is a little rough. All easy fixes though.

I also don't like being unable to change kits outside of the game.

Servers on PC have been fine (though I think they're basically user hosted, amirite?)

I took down a helicopter from a good distance using a tank yesterday, it was awesome. Best multiplayer moment for me yet.

Nice! Best one for me so far was me trying out the recon kit. (I usually hate sniping.) Had a guy chasing me down. I got around a corner and up some steps. He foolishly chased me. I hid along the wall, he ran into the room and I ran up behind him and knifed him from behind for the scalp!

Nice! Best one for me so far was me trying out the recon kit. (I usually hate sniping.) Had a guy chasing me down. I got around a corner and up some steps. He foolishly chased me. I hid along the wall, he ran into the room and I ran up behind him and knifed him from behind for the scalp!

Damn, nice. I have yet to get an animation w/ a knife kill yet (though I've only had a couple).

I'm trying to snipe exclusively, but it's rough right now because I don't have anything past teh first weapon unlocked and it's not really a sniper rifle (ie, it takes like 3 or 4 body shots to kill someone ftmfl).

Back