• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Collins to test NBA, update: he has signed an agent, per Jeff Goodman

Answer dv7's question, bob.

There's no black in BFKs world. He lives in Randleman.

Randleman demographics:

4,113 people
11.2% of population is below the poverty line
Median family income = $35,123

91.23% White
3.71% Black
2.81% "Other Races"
0.39% Asian
0.34% Native American

"Normal American" demographics (via 538)

METRO SIMILARITY TO U.S. OVERALL
1 New Haven-Milford, CT 93.2
2 Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL 91.6
3 Hartford-West Hartford-East Hartford, CT 90.2
4 Oklahoma City, OK 89.4
5 Springfield, MA 89.3
6 Milwaukee-Waukesha-West Allis, WI 88.2
7 Chicago-Naperville-Elgin, IL-IN-WI 88.2
8 Wichita, KS 87.6
9 Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington 87.2
10 Kansas City, MO-KS 86.8

We all, of course, have our own notions of what real America looks like. Those notions might be based on our own nostalgia or our hopes for the future. If your image of the real America is a small town, you might be thinking of an America that no longer exists. I used the same method to measure which places in America today are most similar demographically to America in 1950, when the country was much whiter, younger and less-educated than today. Of course, nearly every place in the U.S. today looks more like 2014 America than 1950 America. But the large metros that today come closest to looking like 1950 America are Lancaster, Pennsylvania; Ogden and Provo, in Utah; and several in the Midwest and South.

But the places that look today most like 1950 America are not large metros but rather smaller metros and rural areas. Looking across all of America, including the rural areas, the regions that today look most demographically similar to 1950 America are the portion of eastern Ohio around the towns of Cambridge and Coshocton and the Cumberland Valley district in southeastern Kentucky.

These misconceptions affect our politics: an outdated view of “normal America” is baked into the presidential election process. Iowa and New Hampshire, which vote first in the primary season and therefore have disproportionate influence, rank 37th and 41st, respectively, in their similarity to the U.S. overall. The states that look demographically most similar to America are Illinois and New York, followed by New Jersey, Connecticut and Virginia. (Downstate Illinois and upstate New York are worlds apart from Chicago and New York City, as native Rochesterians like me know well.) The states that look least like America are Hawaii, New Mexico, West Virginia, Maine and Vermont, along with the District of Columbia.

Iowa’s and New Hampshire’s places of honor would make more sense if we were electing a president in the 1950s. They rank 11th and 20th, respectively, in how similar their demographics today are to those of 1950 America, though Kentucky, West Virginia and Indiana are the states whose demographics today look most like 1950 America.

There are lots of reasons to care deeply about places that are demographically different from today’s America: Some of those places may turn out to be bellwethers for a future America that will be older, more educated and more racially and ethnically diverse than today; and some of those places are especially deserving of public attention and investment because they worse off than most other places.

But if you’re trying to get outside of your bubble and get in touch with “normal America,” skip the small towns of your actual or imagined past and instead start with New Haven or Tampa.

tl;dr - Ph probably has a better sense of "normal American" than bkf, who - in 2017, at least - lives in a bubble inside of a bubble.

Last edited:
Interesting tidbit. Do you know why Randleman/Randolph county has a significantly lower black population relative to surrounding areas? It's probably not what you think. This area was settled by Quakers who did not believe in owning slaves. Carry on.

I'm retired, and my only son is ChrisL's age. I got a job and went to work a month after I graduated from WF when I was 21 years old and didn't stop working until I was 68. And along the way I also left my wife & 9-week old son to serve my country for two years in the army. Now, I don't have to do a damned thing each day if I don't want to. I've paid my dues. Right now I just got back from a walk on the beach in Garden City and am trying to decide which restaurant I want to pick for dinner. We have tried several of Deacon Brews' suggestions so far this week and all have been excellent. Do you care to offer any restaurant suggestions?

Hoskins in OD has be best flounder and shrimp on the Grand Strand but it's a long way from Garden City. Hit The Dead Dog on the marshwalk for the best outside view and bar in your area and the food is pretty good too.

Respond to post #579.

I've already answered that question at least 4 times...and probably more times than that....with the exact same answer.

I'll give you a hint and you can word-search it to find those posts, because these words are in every one of the answers: "Jim Williams".

Hoskins in OD has be best flounder and shrimp on the Grand Strand but it's a long way from Garden City. Hit The Dead Dog on the marshwalk for the best outside view and bar in your area and the food is pretty good too.

We ate at Bovine's & Drunken Jack's along the Marsh Walk. Other dinners were at Villa Romana, River City Café, Conch Café & Margaritaville (the grandkids wanted to go to Broadway at the Beach one afternoon).

ETA: Tupelo Honey may be the most over-hyped, over-priced restaurant that I have ever been. Had a $114 breakfast for 3 adults & 2 kids (including tip). On the other extreme, we had a great breakfast that was very reasonably priced at Applewood House of Pancakes at Litchfield.

Last edited:
Interesting tidbit. Do you know why Randleman/Randolph county has a significantly lower black population relative to surrounding areas? It's probably not what you think. This area was settled by Quakers who did not believe in owning slaves. Carry on.

Does that explain the lower Latino population?

So two whole pages to establish that BKF is a racist old man suffering from dementia that doesn't understand the gather or the pivot foot?

Can't wait to do it again tomorrow. It's like the OGB version of the Notebook.

So two whole pages to establish that BKF is a racist old man suffering from dementia that doesn't understand the gather or the pivot foot?

Can't wait to do it again tomorrow. It's like the OGB version of the Notebook.

2 pages? This has been common info for a few years now.

Not to mention The Klan

Ashboro, NC
Octo. 28th, 1870

Gov. Holden

Dear Sir:

Yours of 30th inst. is to hand. I am sorry to have to inform you that Randolph County is almost entirely governed by the Ku Klux. I supposed before election that there were a good many in the County but I had no idea that they were half so well organized; but I am proud to say that my Township gave a large Republican majority. The Ku Klux have not committed many gross outrages in this County like they have in some others, their object seemed to be to decoy as many as possible into the organization by making them believe it was not a very bad thing. They paraded through several neighborhoods just before the election in order to terrify the most timid Republicans and by threats &c make them stay away from the election; they knew very well who was easily scared; they have not been so bold since the Militia was called out. If the Republicans had not (some of them both white and colored) been so easily intimidated and stayed at home we could easily have carried Randolph. It is very hard to know whom to put confidence in; I know a great many men who lay out during the war, who were whipped, kicked and handcuffed by the Rebels during the war who are now among the Ku Klux and voted for the men that abused them so badly. I don’t now that any person in this County has been murdered by the Ku Klux.

I only know of two that have been whipped, one was a colored boy I think by the name of Cheek, was taken to Franklinsville last Spring in the night and tied up and whipped in the Village.

James Brookshire, a colored man, was whipped at his own house last Spring and his gun taken away and he forced to leave the neighborhood.

One school house was burned in 1869; it belonged to the colored people. A great many, both white and colored, were visited by the Ku Klux and severe threats made against them if they voted the Republican Ticket.

Respectfully Yours,
Joel Ashworth

PrintFriendly and PDFPrint

I've already answered that question at least 4 times...and probably more times than that....with the exact same answer.

I'll give you a hint and you can word-search it to find those posts, because these words are in every one of the answers: "Jim Williams".
So you realize mocking Ph and his post count while you yourself take the time to delete thousands of your posts is completely hypocritical. Cool.

Last edited:
So you realize mocking Ph and his post count while you yourself take the time to delete thousands of your posts is completely hypocritical. Cool.

All kinds of distortions and apples to oranges comparisons here, but whatever.

1) All the posts I have made, including deletions (the last of which, by the way, was nearly two years ago now), don't amount to more than 10% of the posts that PH has made.

2) My only son is 48 and I am retired. I could sit here and post all day if I cared to do so. PH is supposed to have a full-time job and, as I understand it, a family with small children. Yet somehow he has the time to average 33 posts per day every day of the week for more than six years.

Back