• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Complete and Embarrassing Lack of Passion and Effort ... Again

88Deac

A.W. Hamilton
Reaction score
My god, do our players know you are allowed to do something other than stand and walk in the half court offense and defense? Are we trying to rest up for our killer Tu-Th class schedule?!?! Geez guys (other than Tree and Madison) please run, bounce, anything. I don't see any reason for heels to be planted on the floor so goddam much. Move it for chrisskake!!!!!!

Probably didn't need its own thread, but I'm really pissed, so please indulge me.

I miss Shooter. At least he kept a Wake game entertaining.

I just vehemently disagree with this thread. We may not be good but we are definitely giving it what we have. I think CJ and Travis need to learn from our freshmen what it means to give it your all when you are out there though. Of all the things to complain about this year I would say this is the last thing on the list.

ETA: I'm not saying there aren't problems, but hustle and effort are the least of our worries right now.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree with Doofus, of all the things to complain about I don't think that effort is one of them. Our freshmen are running their asses off, upperclassmen could stand to learn a thing or two.

I just vehemently disagree with this thread. We may not be good but we are definitely giving it what we have. I think CJ and Travis need to learn from our freshmen what it means to give it your all when you are out therefor though. Of all the things to complain about this year I would say this is the last thing on the list.

+1 clearly did not watch the game.

I'm glad we beat High Point. No need for another loss to a team we wouldn't have thought twice about years ago. Bzz gets to crow about the victory as he marches toward the ACC schedule. Slightly different level of talent there, buddy.

Seriously? I watched the entire game. Yes, a couple freshmen are working hard, but please, watch some other basketball games. When you see how hard other teams work and how fast they move, we don't compare. Watching us play is like watching a real college bball game in slow motion. It doesn't even compare. There is lots of standing around, lots of heels planted on the floor, and just no speed.

We should come out against a team like HPU with full aggression, intensity and tenacity and blow them out of the gym. It simply isn't there. Travis finally got it in the second hallf. Why did it take him 30 minutes to play with a little fire and aggression? My God, you are supposed to play like that the entire game, not take 30 minutes to "get into the flow" of the game. CJ has been almost completely MIA and acts like he could care less. At this point, we've got about 10 guys who are as good as any other on the team, so certainly no one should be pacing themselves..... And we've got some athletes. We ought to be pushing the pace instead of playing in slow motion. We are way too easy to guard, and our passive, heels on the floor, man to man defense is going to get shredded by any decent teams. Not to mention how we considtently simply turn and watch the ball when the other team shoots. Outrebounded by 10 against HPU?!?!? There were times they got 3 shots on a few possessions. Sorry, but rebounding is half fundamentals and half effort. We aren't getting much of either except in small spurts from a limited number of guys.

PS - I would add I thought Chase played hard, too. I think he was especially energized by hitting some shots. I can't fault his effort, but he has limited athleticism and size, and tends to have negative energy when his shots don't fall. Which has been far too often for a designated 3 pt shooter.

I was at the game last night and definitely didn't see a lack of passion and effort.

It looked a little bit better in the 2nd half, but what I did see way too much on offense and defense were either layers who didn't seem to know where they were supposed to be and/or a team that looked totally disorganized. I could see how some watching on TV could mistake that for a lack of passion and effort, but it definitely didn't appear that way to me. Instead it looked like a poorly coached, disorganized team that was trying really hard...

I really don't think that CJ or Travis lack passion, I think that they're just really mediocre.

I imagine it's hard to look passionate playing ball in an empty gym. Any chance we can hire LD to come back and be our hype man?

Seriously? I watched the entire game. Yes, a couple freshmen are working hard, but please, watch some other basketball games. When you see how hard other teams work and how fast they move, we don't compare. Watching us play is like watching a real college bball game in slow motion. It doesn't even compare. There is lots of standing around, lots of heels planted on the floor, and just no speed.

We should come out against a team like HPU with full aggression, intensity and tenacity and blow them out of the gym. It simply isn't there. Travis finally got it in the second hallf. Why did it take him 30 minutes to play with a little fire and aggression? My God, you are supposed to play like that the entire game, not take 30 minutes to "get into the flow" of the game. CJ has been almost completely MIA and acts like he could care less. At this point, we've got about 10 guys who are as good as any other on the team, so certainly no one should be pacing themselves..... And we've got some athletes. We ought to be pushing the pace instead of playing in slow motion. We are way too easy to guard, and our passive, heels on the floor, man to man defense is going to get shredded by any decent teams. Not to mention how we considtently simply turn and watch the ball when the other team shoots. Outrebounded by 10 against HPU?!?!? There were times they got 3 shots on a few possessions. Sorry, but rebounding is half fundamentals and half effort. We aren't getting much of either except in small spurts from a limited number of guys.

EXACTLY!!!!!!

I really don't think that CJ or Travis lack passion, I think that they're just really mediocre.

Really?? Than why did he decide to turn it on 30 minutes into the game... Just watch Duke if you want to see energy on the court.. I hate Duke but every kid puts out crazy effort the entire game...

Really?? Than why did he decide to turn it on 30 minutes into the game... Just watch Duke if you want to see energy on the court.. I hate Duke but every kid puts out crazy effort the entire game...

And there it is... The "watch duke's effort" post. Should be followed by "why don't we slap the floor on defense" or "if we had a wojo or Chris Collins type we'd have more passion".

We neec a better coach, not a bunch of hustle fags flopping around the court

I would argue the standing around has a lot more to do with poor offensive structure than laziness. For example if you attend a basketball practice and everyone is standing around that is the coaches fault not the players. I have watched two games this year and I don't see lack of effort, I see lack of direction.

Indecision can cause paralysis.

Again - duke is always active because they know where they are supposed to go. Because they are well coached. If I am unsure of where I am supposed to be or supposed to I will hesitate which will make me slower.

Say what you want about the crap Duke does, but bottom line is they play hard and challenge you for everything. It ain't just Duke. Watch Billy Donovan's team. Watch Jim Boeheim's teams. Watch Jim Calhoun's teams. As much as I hate Roy, he is intense and raises it another notch when his team needs it. I really hate it when he gets in his crouch and screams "DEFENSE"!, but at the same time, I really wish we'd have half that emotion and tenacity. We aer soft, and others play and coach like the game matters a LOT to them. Like it is everything. They fight you. We don't play that way. Sadly, I am afraid part of it is the culture of getting used to losing. You can see it on Travis' and CJ's faces. They aren't getting after it until it is late in the game and the freshmen have kept it close. We just go through the motions and get outrebounded by fucking High Point College by 10!! It is absolute garbage. Please watch a game between two really good teams, and watch how fast and hard they play, and then watch a replay of our ESPN3 games. There is no comparison. Hell, just watch Travis for the first 30 minutes and then the last 10 minutes last night. It is there. We just need that effort for the full time he is in the game.

Again - duke is always active because they know where they are supposed to go. Because they are well coached. If I am unsure of where I am supposed to be or supposed to I will hesitate which will make me slower.

Certainly part of it. I always loved Skip's mantra of he'd rather have errors of commission than errors of omission. Even if you aren't sure, do something, take a risk if you have to do so. Standing and sleep walking is too easy to guard, and will get you nowhere. Our offense is horrible, our defense is soft, and our rebounding.... well, we got outrebounded by HPC by 10. 'Nuff said. The effort and the coaching is in the toilet compared to the top half of college bball teams. We've got the talent to be much better than this crap we are being fed.

windy, you really don't need to be using derogatory homophobic language. plenty of other words you could have used there.

Back