• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Complete and Embarrassing Lack of Passion and Effort ... Again

I just vehemently disagree with this thread. We may not be good but we are definitely giving it what we have. I think CJ and Travis need to learn from our freshmen what it means to give it your all when you are out there though. Of all the things to complain about this year I would say this is the last thing on the list.

ETA: I'm not saying there aren't problems, but hustle and effort are the least of our worries right now.

this,times 100. These guys play there asses off.... anyone who says otherwise hasn't seen a game or knows very little about the sport.

windy, you really don't need to be using derogatory homophobic language. plenty of other words you could have used there.

thought "hustle fag" was more of a general term describing idiots who dive all over the court for no reason, therefore wasn't really another word i could have used. Didn't mean it in any homophobic sense...

good grief...let's all just loosen up people

this,times 100. These guys play there asses off.... anyone who says otherwise hasn't seen a game or knows very little about the sport.

Dan Collins

"In looking at the way High Point out-hustled Wake on the backboards tonight, it was hard not to conclude that the Panthers just wanted it more. And on this night, they certainly had, in freshman John Brown, the best player on the court. But the Deacons, as it turned out, wanted it enough."

It appears DC agrees we aren't hustling.... Unless you think hustling "enough to beat HPC" is hustling.... If that to you is enough energy and hustle and tenacity, then I don't know what to say. I think Dan is dead on. We simply do not play hard enough or want to win bad enough to be successful. And Dan has seen a lot of bball, and has had some pretty seats to do so...........

PS- If I needed to turn on my sarcasm meter, please let me know. I don't see how anyone could think we played hard last night.

Last edited:
Maybe it's all relative - we were less lethargic than usual, so comparatively it resembled hustle.

PS - I would add I thought Chase played hard, too. I think he was especially energized by hitting some shots. I can't fault his effort, but he has limited athleticism and size, and tends to have negative energy when his shots don't fall. Which has been far too often for a designated 3 pt shooter.

Lolwut? He's shooting 52% from downtown so far this season..

thought "hustle fag" was more of a general term describing idiots who dive all over the court for no reason, therefore wasn't really another word i could have used. Didn't mean it in any homophobic sense...

I thought 'Hustle Fag' was just another term for 'Duke Player'...

Maybe it's all relative - we were less lethargic than usual, so comparatively it resembled hustle.

This is exactly it. We looked like we tried harder than at other times in past years, but when you watch good college teams it becomes very obvious how much harder we need to play. We are so far from a decent college team right now that it is downright scary. If Bzzz survives another ACC season of 30 point blowouts Wake should self impose the death penalty. The ACC actually looks decent this year too minus BC. Fl St has been crap thus far but they will whip our ass and Hamilton will get them going.

Say what you want about the crap Duke does, but bottom line is they play hard and challenge you for everything. It ain't just Duke. Watch Billy Donovan's team. Watch Jim Boeheim's teams. Watch Jim Calhoun's teams. As much as I hate Roy, he is intense and raises it another notch when his team needs it. I really hate it when he gets in his crouch and screams "DEFENSE"!, but at the same time, I really wish we'd have half that emotion and tenacity. We aer soft, and others play and coach like the game matters a LOT to them. Like it is everything. They fight you. We don't play that way. Sadly, I am afraid part of it is the culture of getting used to losing. You can see it on Travis' and CJ's faces. They aren't getting after it until it is late in the game and the freshmen have kept it close. We just go through the motions and get outrebounded by fucking High Point College by 10!! It is absolute garbage. Please watch a game between two really good teams, and watch how fast and hard they play, and then watch a replay of our ESPN3 games. There is no comparison. Hell, just watch Travis for the first 30 minutes and then the last 10 minutes last night. It is there. We just need that effort for the full time he is in the game.

88deac, I couldn't agree with you more!!!

WindyCityDeac
And there it is... The "watch duke's effort" post. Should be followed by "why don't we slap the floor on defense" or "if we had a wojo or Chris Collins type we'd have more passion".

We neec a better coach, not a bunch of hustle fags flopping around the court

I think we would all take some hustle fags at this pt.. However, I do think Duke's team, UNC, and most good coaches get more intensity out of their players and it could simply be from knowing where, what and how they're suppose to play the game(meaning they know the fucking defense and offense which stops them from being paralyzed on the court).

I'm all for complaining about our basketball team, but this is a stupid thread. That was probably our 2nd or 3rd greatest effort all season. The truth is that we suck and we look like shit even when we're playing hard. Our basketball team played about the same as 88 and mabe have posted so far; They try hard, but they look like shit doing it, and the results are predictably bad.

What the heck is a "hustle fag?" Why in the world would there not be any other way to describe this "term" (which is in quotes because I've been around basketball my whole life and have never heard anyone called a "hustle fag" before)?

Who cares? I'm starting to sense that the PC movement is slipping, especially with the younger generations. That's fine. Americans need to stop being a bunch of pussy crybabies, IMHO. I've been called all sorts of names during my life. Almost all of them I didn't deserve (of course, we all knew that! ;)) I'm still here. I'm fine ...

And there it is... The "watch duke's effort" post. Should be followed by "why don't we slap the floor on defense" or "if we had a wojo or Chris Collins type we'd have more passion".

We neec a better coach, not a bunch of hustle fags flopping around the court

I always associated the floor slapping routine to the D'oh led Tarhole d-bag teams. Crybaby Joseph Forte comes to mind.

I was at the game last night and definitely didn't see a lack of passion and effort.

It looked a little bit better in the 2nd half, but what I did see way too much on offense and defense were either layers who didn't seem to know where they were supposed to be and/or a team that looked totally disorganized. I could see how some watching on TV could mistake that for a lack of passion and effort, but it definitely didn't appear that way to me. Instead it looked like a poorly coached, disorganized team that was trying really hard...

+ 1,000

Back