• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Their wiki says 67k undergrad and 35k graduate students. Only 505 full time faculty which, based on google, may be fewer than Wake. An astonishing 5,800 adjunct faculty.

Saw some people on Twitter pointing out GCU is nowhere near the GC and it was pointed out they’re like our own WFU in that we moved away from our namesake

Saw some people on Twitter pointing out GCU is nowhere near the GC and it was pointed out they’re like our own WFU in that we moved away from our namesake

I don’t think GCU was ever near the Grand Canyon.

I mean does everyone here really think they needed 4 yrs at Wake to do their career versus actually getting on the job training early?

University is simply a very expensive sorting mechanism in which you get accepted and then party for four years. I'm all about the last part but geez to have it be 28k all in 15 years ago to now be 86k is just a huge fucking grift.

I mean does everyone here really think they needed 4 yrs at Wake to do their career versus actually getting on the job training early?

University is simply a very expensive sorting mechanism in which you get accepted and then party for four years. I'm all about the last part but geez to have it be 28k all in 15 years ago to now be 86k is just a huge fucking grift.

From an employers perspective, a four year degree indicates that you can learn some stuff at an adult level. If you get a degree in a liberals field, that says you have reasonable competence in multiple areas of knowledge. That gives employers some reason to believe you are capable of learning the stuff you need to do the job they have for you.

In some STEM fields there are external accrediting bodies that insure students learn at least a minimum level of the technical information necessary for a graduate to function in the employer world.

One can make arguments about the cost. Is an $80k degree worth four times a $20k degree from another institution?

Maybe Im just a super believer, but as someone who’s the first educated professional in their entire family, I would never be in the position I’m in now without my Wake degree. Wake got me almost a full ride to UNC law and I paid off my loans pretty quickly because of my career. College is going to be what you make of it, but if you’re hungry, Wake is going to open doors.

I guess if your family has a business or enough money anyway, that doesn’t matter. My own kids are having an entirely different childhood existence than I did, where maybe a Wake degree wouldn’t mean as much, but to me- life changer. My brother went to Yale and same for him. I’m not comparing them head to head obviously, but prestigious schools open doors to people who don’t have connections otherwise.

Last edited:
Back