• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Genuinely curious (a) what strategies you all think exist to keep Wake from getting left out of a 2-super-league NCAA and (b) what strategies you’d expect the Wake President to publicly reveal.
1. merge with UNC-CH
2. Buy UNCG
3. Absorb NC State

duh. now we have a 50,000 enrollment, just like we always wanted.

In this article from mikefarrellsports.com (this Mike Farrell is a longtime recruiting analyst) about the future of the ACC, the writer notes that the ACC agreed to the current long term contract with ESPN in return for ESPN's setting up and operating the ACC Network. According to the article, former ACC commissioner John Swofford and other ACC leaders wanted a network that could support broadcasts of all of the ACC's 27 sports.

Well, the ACC got what it supposedly wanted in a broadcast network, but the ESPN contract that went with it turned out to be not what some members wanted.

...Former ACC commissioner John Swofford said at the time of the landmark contract between the ACC and ESPN to produce content for all their sports, "It was also very important to both ESPN and our league that we try to create a model in which each of the ACC's 27 sponsored sports would be televised in some manner... I don't know if we'll get them all, as some are extremely difficult to produce for television, but by 2019, we're going to be very close."

Later, in 2022, for the Sports Business Journal, Swofford and Skipper both defended the 20-year contract, stating that the long-term commitment made by the ACC was in exchange for launching and producing the ACC Network.

For Swofford, after watching the failed launch and monetization of the Pac-12 Network, realizing conferences aren’t media companies and media partners like FOX for the Big Ten and ESPN for the SEC, it was essential to get ESPN to produce the ACC Network and was the cost of doing business to give a long term commitment in exchange for getting the ACC Network going.

Now that consideration Swofford made to help the conference get a critical media asset may come back to threaten the league’s existence.

The rancor of the Grant of Rights deal has spilled into North Carolina, where Board of Trustees chair John Preyer has said, "I think that what Clemson is doing is 100 percent proof positive that a significant portion of the membership of the conference is unhappy,” Preyer told Inside Carolina. “I don't see how it is in anyone's interest for the ACC leadership to try and browbeat its member schools from getting access to information and being transparent. And that's kind of the case Clemson is making.”

"I think this shows that what is supposed to be a member-based organization is not being led in a way that represents the best interests of all the members, but instead, it's really representing the bottom tier of the membership at the expense of the top tier, which is why Clemson and Florida State are doing what they're doing. I think that's just obvious."...

WhoTF wants Clemson? Tiny market the SEC already has and a deteriorating football program. UNC I definitely get. And I slightly get wanting a piece of the large VA market, though neither UVA nor VT have appetizing football programs. Though maybe, just maybe, the B1G and SEC are eying that new football and hoops power JMU instead.
Just like when the Big Ten took Rutgers & MD, they are not looking for the best football playing schools. They are looking at media and TV viewing numbers. That is what drives up the $$$ and by corralling the NE corridor they have that.

That is why UNC & UVa could be targets if either the Big Ten (AAU schools too) or the SEC because they bring in two states neither are in. Plus UNC is a national name in most all sports. (having not won a conference title in football in 43 years they would make good fodder for either of the football powers)

We are 9 months removed from the College World Series and 3 years removed from the ACC Championship Game and we've had prominent alumni making $5MM+ gifts to basketball but we're no longer a place with big time college athletics? Interesting.

Unlike just about every other Power 5 (or 6, or 4) Program, Wake Forest is neither a giant private research institution nor a large state university with a huge built-in fanbase. We have great academics focused on actually teaching the students. We punch above our weight in athletics. I liked that profile and I'm proud to have a degree from Wake Forest. I don't need it to be more like Duke or more like UNC.
We are also now coming off a last in the conference football season, only two removed from the ACCCG. No bowl game when about 11 other teams played in one.
And we have basically been on probation in basketball for 14 years with our last NCAA win coming in 2010 (where we fired that coach after 3 years and a 61-31 record)

Sounds like a pretty thorough article.
Thorough article except none of this is imminent. This stuff will be tied up in courts for quite a while. FSU was just in Charlotte recently giving their side of dropping the ACC suit against FSU. (Remember the ACC struck first in Charlotte the day before FSU filed in Florida with their ‘Sunshine Laws.’)
FSU lawyers looked all pretty and slick and all but talked in circles and never answered any of the questions about the ACC’s GOR with facts.

If the ACC had a set of nuts, they would sue Big Ten/SEC in an anti trust lawsuit. IMO these conferences believe the Alston case against the NCAA has shielded them from antitrust scrutiny. Further I believe minimal discovery would show massive tampering among member schools of other conferences and antitrust against television networks. It's one huge scheme to steal what they didn't build on their own. You can get punked like Phillips will do or you can launch a nuclear option into the entire shit pile of current college athletics.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
Guess you forgot that the ACC started this madness by raiding the Big East in 2004 for VT & Miami, then getting BC in 2005.

Just like when the Big Ten took Rutgers & MD, they are not looking for the best football playing schools. They are looking at media and TV viewing numbers. That is what drives up the $$$ and by corralling the NE corridor they have that.

That is why UNC & UVa could be targets if either the Big Ten (AAU schools too) or the SEC because they bring in two states neither are in. Plus UNC is a national name in most all sports. (having not won a conference title in football in 43 years they would make good fodder for either of the football powers)
UNC will have the pick of wherever they want to go. Neither the SEC or Big 10 is in NC, and UNC is the biggest brand in NC by far. The only thing stopping them would be if the state of NC blocks them because State is not part of the move. It's read they want to make UNC and State a package deal or at least get State into the P2.

SEC/Big Ten. The new G League. Five years nobody watches. It's all gonna crash and burn. When you steal something others helped you build karma is coming.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
Like the ACC losing teams after raiding the BE in 2004-05. Just saying. But people will watch that big time football!

Back