• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Leaving Title IX issues to be resolved later by the courts sounds like a bad idea. So does the concept of not keeping more suits from being filed. I would be reluctant to commit $3 billion over the next decade without some assurance that another suit isn't being filed next year.

Leaving Title IX issues to be resolved later by the courts sounds like a bad idea. So does the concept of not keeping more suits from being filed. I would be reluctant to commit $3 billion over the next decade without some assurance that another suit isn't being filed next year.
Yup, those are really big unresolved legal issues and even if the settlement goes through, there are hundreds of lawyers hoping to get in on the action (i.e. $) by filing lawsuits related to any remaining issues.

“The National Institutes of Health announced it will no longer use rats for medical experimentation. In their place, the NIH will use lawyers.
The NIH gave three reasons for this decision:

1. There are now more attorneys than there are rats.
2. The medical researchers don’t become as emotionally attached to the attorneys as they did to the rats.
3. No matter how hard you try, there are some things that rats won’t do.”

I would welcome a push to the Big Ten, and Currie should push hard if Grant of Rights can’t be enforced. Wake is a private university and can have an easier path through the application process, while the UNC-NCSU pissing match is held up by the red tape with the UNC Board, along with the red tape at the other public universities, and also might as well cockblock Duke while we’re at it.

A few issues though: 1) Football stadium size (Yep, DR, size does matter to the Big 10) 2) TV market (but numbers could change quickly with Wis, tOSU, UM, PSU, etc on the schedule) and 3) Wake is not an AAU member. Currently, Nebraska is the only non-member in the Big Ten.

Positives: Better chance for national exposure and achievement for non-revenue sports. Soccer (just IU really and maybe tOSU), Baseball, Field Hockey, Golf, etc. Very little competition in those sports.

As a long, long, long shot, have the facilities in place to add ice hockey. But this would require one hell of a coach hires, assistants, and recruiting staff for men & women’s to even try.

Last edited:
I would welcome a push to the Big Ten, and Currie should push hard if Grant of Rights can’t be enforced. Wake is a private university and can have an easier path through the application process, while the UNC-NCSU pissing match is held up by the red tape with the UNC Board, along with the red tape at the other public universities, and also might as well cockblock Duke while we’re at it.

A few issues though: 1) Football stadium size (Yep, DR, size does matter to the Big 10) 2) TV market (but numbers could change quickly with Wis, tOSU, UM, PSU, etc on the schedule) and 3) Wake is not an AAU member. Currently, Nebraska is the only non-member in the Big Ten.

Positives: Better chance for national exposure and achievement for non-revenue sports. Soccer (just IU really and maybe tOSU), Baseball, Field Hockey, Golf, etc. Very little competition in those sports.

As a long, long, long shot, have the facilities in place to add ice hockey. But this would require one hell of a coach hires, assistants, and recruiting staff for men & women’s to even try.
Those “few issues” are the only things that matter. We have zero chance of a Big 10 invite unless they really want someone like State and State advocates for us to join. I see neither of those happening. Big 12 could be realistic though if we had to move. Reality is that we will be in the ACC forever because we are not attractive. What that ACC looks like remains to be seen.

Honestly, this would be somewhat intriguing. I do wonder what kind of tv deal we could get (if any) and what kind of bowl games we could get ties to.
i mean no deal and no bowl games. hate to break it to you but wake is pretty irrelevant in the national landscape. if wake just stopped playing sports no one would care outside of alumni/students

i mean no deal and no bowl games. hate to break it to you but wake is pretty irrelevant in the national landscape. if wake just stopped playing sports no one would care outside of alumni/students
I am quite aware but if an independent UMass could get a tv and bowl deal then I’m 100% sure that we could get something.

Yup, those are really big unresolved legal issues and even if the settlement goes through, there are hundreds of lawyers hoping to get in on the action (i.e. $) by filing lawsuits related to any remaining issues.

“The National Institutes of Health announced it will no longer use rats for medical experimentation. In their place, the NIH will use lawyers.
The NIH gave three reasons for this decision:

1. There are now more attorneys than there are rats.
2. The medical researchers don’t become as emotionally attached to the attorneys as they did to the rats.
3. No matter how hard you try, there are some things that rats won’t do.”
Did someone call?

Screw it. Let's play ND's game and go independent.
Yes, I think this is the play. Create an oxymoronic league of independents. Create confusion amongst SEC, B1G and ESPN power brokers. Do the unexpected. I'm sure Cal and Stanford would welcome a counter-culture stance.

I am quite aware but if an independent UMass could get a tv and bowl deal then I’m 100% sure that we could get something.
UMass has over 240k alumni many of which live a major media market, Wake 70k much more spread out over the country with majority in a market not in the top 15

Being independent in football worked so well for UMass they're re-joining a conference (as a full member this time) that pays out a whopping $800k in TV revenue each year.

They were in the MAC in the first place because they sucked so bad that they were the only conference who would take them. The program has subsisted on buy games for the past decade. Not exactly aspirational stuff.

Back