• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Maybe the ACC should finally do something proactive, like go add some PAC-12 schools. Go get Washington, Oregon, Stanford and Cal. Then we can just be the "Coastal Conference." Or hell, maybe we should just leave right now and join the Bix XII.

But seriously, in 10-15 years, the ACC sitting back and being passive while all this movement is happening is either going to be the nail in the coffin for the conference or an inadvertent stroke of genius. While I think most feel right now it's the former, I do wonder if there's a chance that if the ACC can stick together because of the GOR for another decade, that it's possible the media landscape will have shifted so dramatically by that point that the conference realignment game is no longer a thing and there's some totally different model in place. Kind of like when I take two weeks of vacation, and the urgent email that comes in on the first day I'm OOO often is no longer an issue by the time I get back.

Maybe the ACC should finally do something proactive, like go add some PAC-12 schools. Go get Washington, Oregon, Stanford and Cal. Then we can just be the "Coastal Conference." Or hell, maybe we should just leave right now and join the Bix XII.

But seriously, in 10-15 years, the ACC sitting back and being passive while all this movement is happening is either going to be the nail in the coffin for the conference or an inadvertent stroke of genius. While I think most feel right now it's the former, I do wonder if there's a chance that if the ACC can stick together because of the GOR for another decade, that it's possible the media landscape will have shifted so dramatically by that point that the conference realignment game is no longer a thing and there's some totally different model in place. Kind of like when I take two weeks of vacation, and the urgent email that comes in on the first day I'm OOO often is no longer an issue by the time I get back.
You’re not wrong. I think these media rights deals will come back to haunt these networks, potentially even putting them out of business. We have a longer deal than the rest so at the end we could potentially be making more than the others.

I still think Colorado doesn’t add anything for the Big 12 so they should’ve told them to fuck off after they bailed previously. It certainly doesn’t make since with their statement that they are going all in on bball.

He’s definitely failing his mid-tenure review.
Best thing I heard Phillips say was last year after VT got beat on the road again at ODU, is that he stressed to all of our AD’s to quit playing those type road games. They serve no purpose and in looking up his facts to back it up he found the ACC played more road non-con games in the past 10 years (roughly) than all the other P5 combined.
Play other P5 teams home & home but not teams like these.

Cause and effect. ACC teams play those teams because they can't afford to buy out those return games.

Isn’t it true that PAC has no grant of rights holding any of their teams right now? That is how UCLA & USC were able to move. So if they got no deals brewing, didn’t add SD State as many thought, seems they are in trouble and those that can will leave very soon.

I still think Colorado doesn’t add anything for the Big 12 so they should’ve told them to fuck off after they bailed previously. It certainly doesn’t make since with their statement that they are going all in on bball.
It destabilizes the PAC and gives the Big 12 another team that can play at 10:30 pm Eastern.

Clearly not apples to apples and I get that, but I read an article recently ranking the top 10 professional soccer leagues across the globe in terms of talent, fan interest, financial strength, etc. and MLS was #10, and the writer said overall the MLS was in good shape with that ranking. But in CFB, a conference can be the 3rd strongest and have millions on top of millions coming in and its considered on a death spiral if its not #1 or #2. Lots of reason$ why college football in particular is such a zero sum sport, but seems like a clean breakaway from the other 30 or so sports at the college level (and that includes MBB) is inevitable.

This Colorado move could cause the PAC 12 to devolve/implode/unwind in a faster than anticipated manner. That could include the B1G expanding and the SEC and Big XII picking up pieces too.

All about Oregon and Washington right now.

Clearly not apples to apples and I get that, but I read an article recently ranking the top 10 professional soccer leagues across the globe in terms of talent, fan interest, financial strength, etc. and MLS was #10, and the writer said overall the MLS was in good shape with that ranking. But in CFB, a conference can be the 3rd strongest and have millions on top of millions coming in and its considered on a death spiral if its not #1 or #2. Lots of reason$ why college football in particular is such a zero sum sport, but seems like a clean breakaway from the other 30 or so sports at the college level (and that includes MBB) is inevitable.
I mean, this is apples and, like, a 25-pound turkey. The global soccer audience is around 3.5B (FIFA estimates 5B). American football, NFL and NCAA combined, is ~400M.
Source

This Colorado move could cause the PAC 12 to devolve/implode/unwind in a faster than anticipated manner. That could include the B1G expanding and the SEC and Big XII picking up pieces too.

All about Oregon and Washington right now.
Not enough money to add OR/WA or else they would've been announced last year.

Unless with the PAC dissolving they would take an even smaller share in perpetuity

The talk of raiding the PAC-12 is similar to talk about raiding the ACC. If it was going to happen, it would have happened. Colorado to the Big XII has always made sense because they used to be a member.

Remaining Pac-12 teams need to figure out their plan. I don’t think an ACC-Pac-12 merger being profitable.

Back