• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Granted as a Wake fan I will likely never be in this position, but I also don’t get it from the fan perspective of losing all your rivals to go play a bunch of teams you have never had anything to do with.

ACC expansion put Wake fans in this exact position.

This is all spot on. The question is is it added value? It feels like gambling on Deion to potentially add value in the future but I can't imagine Colorado as is will increase the per member payout in the next negotiation nor will the plethora of other schools the big 12 is adding...

On the flip side I find it hard to believe that Washington and Oregon wouldn't add value to the ACC to boost per school payouts considering their football successes

CU was low-hanging fruit. The geography and proximity made sense, as did the departure of Texas from the conference. But more importantly, what poaching CU does is put panic in the PAC member schools and make the rest of them easier to get. Maybe you don't pull UO and UW with CU, but get CU and Arizona, and suddenly you have a disintegrating conference and all the member schools looking for a new home.

Swaim Show guy says Arizona to B12 "on or before" Tuesday and FSU has a negotiated buyout of the contract-- down to 300M with 30M paid annually. Y'all reckon this guy is full of shit?

I can’t imagine being desperate to join a conference with Bama and Georgia with the idea that’s going to help restore football glory.
Not to mention they have to bring something to the table for the SEC to want to add a team. Already have Florida in that state. Don’t need FSU. (Or Clemson for that matter)

CU was low-hanging fruit. The geography and proximity made sense, as did the departure of Texas from the conference. But more importantly, what poaching CU does is put panic in the PAC member schools and make the rest of them easier to get. Maybe you don't pull UO and UW with CU, but get CU and Arizona, and suddenly you have a disintegrating conference and all the member schools looking for a new home.
ACC pulled a huge rug out from under the PAC several weeks ago by getting in with the CW first. That was one of their extra revenue pots. Now they are panicking and CU was first to act.

This is completely true. I have a good friend who graduated with me at Wake who roots for FSU over his alma mater which really pisses me off and he is consistently blaming FSU being in the ACC for their lack of success the last decade.

FSU is like that pickleball (sorry tennis is out) player bitching about balls being called out but then calling anything hit close on their side out. They bitch about the ACC to get more money now that they had a somewhat decent year and then continue to bitch even when they get their way. They are insufferable and by far my least favorite institution in the ACC now
They are the outlier who has lost to Wake 3 straight years.

FSU brings history, legacy, and maybe a decent program. They bring more than most other programs.

But I’m not sure they bring more money to the SEC. And more money won’t bring more championships to FSU.

The idea that the SEC will make FSU better is delusional.

FSU is like that pickleball (sorry tennis is out) player bitching about balls being called out but then calling anything hit close on their side out. They bitch about the ACC to get more money now that they had a somewhat decent year and then continue to bitch even when they get their way. They are insufferable and by far my least favorite institution in the ACC now
A quick word of advice - if you are getting hooked in pickleball, you need to find some new people to play with.

Swaim Show guy says Arizona to B12 "on or before" Tuesday and FSU has a negotiated buyout of the contract-- down to 300M with 30M paid annually. Y'all reckon this guy is full of shit?

But what about the media rights to FSU games? Those are supposed to stay with the ACC

JackMac claims FSU and Clemson are moving to B10 this week.

Swaim knows nothing. He regurgitates internet rumor and reports it as fact.

The PAC 12 will probably disintegrate this week with Arizona going to the Big XII along with ASU and Utah.

After that the B1G takes Oregon and Washington.

FSU will cry more.

There is no reason for the ACC to negotiate with any school that wants to leave.
Exactly. If the league negotiated with any school to lessen the penalty to allow them to leave, then that is the end of the ACC. Once it happens for one school, at least half of the others will be gone.

The thing about predictions is that no one remembers if you are wrong but everyone remembers when you are right so it costs these guys nothing to throw out rumors

Back