• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

I’m a double deacon and take pride in both degrees/schools. But the law school jumped the undergrad for the first time. 22 and 29. And there are literally hundreds of law schools now. Even High Point and Elon have one. If you can pay $45k a year, you can make a 2.0 at ECU and get into a law school. Such as Elon.
204 law schools. 4,294 colleges. And, again, all law schools are theoretically doing the same thing. All colleges are not.

Bobby Jones had the most impressive competitive career of any golfer that came out of a current ACC school. Arnie is an all time great, an icon of the game, and would make the Mt. Rushmore of golf.

These takes can coexist without them being a slight against Arnie. Just like how I can say Wake law is an excellent law school and Wake law is a T2 law school.

Anywho, how about them University of California, Berkeley Golden Bears?

Yeah but do any of these other golfers have a delicious, iconic drink named for them? Even the other golfer who has a drink named for him (Daly) is just using a variation.

So my point was that some were saying you make up for the lack of tv revenue by being a stronger academic conference and leading the way in attracting grant money.

But there are two separate pots whose funds are not comingled. Thus no ADs will care about more academic grants because it doesn’t help them hold new training facilities. So I don’t grasp why that argument is being forwarded.
Because ADs aren't close to the sole decision makers.

"Admiration" Seems like the most "admired" golfer ever was Dwight Eisenhower--which has not a damn thing to do with who was the best golfer.

I am a Wake alum. But sorry that does not mean I lie about the facts. Palmer's numbers are what they are. They are not in the same stratosphere with Tiger Woods, Bobby Jones, and Walter Hagan.

The next tier of players are Ben Hogan (9), Gary Player (9), and Tom Watson (8).

Arnie is in the tier after with Mickelson, Trevino, Snead, Sarazen and Billy Casper.

I'm an Ole Miss guy too but that doesn't mean I pretend Cary Middlecoff was on par with Jack Nicklaus--even though Middlecoff's numbers were much closer to Palmer than Palmer ever was to Nicklaus.
Is Nicklaus in there somewhere?

Because ADs aren't close to the sole decision makers.
Yeah how many times do I need to agree with that. It's the presidents and chancellors. But even they are doing whatever it takes to secure the most TV money, not grants.

Clawson is a Tier 3 coach.
Additional context for those who still don’t spend the $1/month on the Athletic - Tier 3 is pretty high praise. They list 8 Tiers. The only coaches ranked ahead of him are the Tier 1 guys (Saban, Smart, Dabo) and Tier 2 which they list as Jason Day, Harbaugh, Kyle Whittingham, Lincoln Riley, Brian Kelly, Luke Fickell, and (controversially) Jimbo.

Respected ND source tells me Notre Dame wants Stanford and Cal in the ACC so bad they willing to give up some of their bank.

Respected ND source tells me Notre Dame wants Stanford and Cal in the ACC so bad they willing to give up some of their bank.
Can you give more details on the source and the specifics? Is this linkable or conversation. Why does ND care?

Can you give more details on the source and the specifics? Is this linkable or conversation. Why does ND care?
ND wants Stanford to remain a major conference team because they play every year. Even better if they are an ACC team and can count towards NDs obligatory ACC games. Cal not nearly the lynchpin of NDs schedule, but probably the same to a lesser degree here. ACC needs to definitely not back down on the mandatory games. If they want to play Stanford every year anyway, fine, but don't let them out of one of their other four games.

ND wants Stanford to remain a major conference team because they play every year. Even better if they are an ACC team and can count towards NDs obligatory ACC games. Cal not nearly the lynchpin of NDs schedule, but probably the same to a lesser degree here. ACC needs to definitely not back down on the mandatory games. If they want to play Stanford every year anyway, fine, but don't let them out of one of their other four games.
This right here. If ND-Stanford is scheduled as one of their commitments, that’s fine. If not for that year, have them do it like when we played UNC recently and do it as a non-conference (or in this case, an out of contract) game.

Back