• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Could Duke really lose 9 of 15 players?

Duke really is now just a basketball factory. A damn good factory at that. But any pretense of academics has been thrown out the window in Durham. K and Cal, two peas in a pod.

Duke really is now just a basketball factory. A damn good factory at that. But any pretense of academics has been thrown out the window in Durham. K and Cal, two peas in a pod.

dUKe

Just got Duval to commit... Figured that was inevitable when Frank Jackson decided to stay in the draft. Assuming he was pushed out, just like last year's PG.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/maryla...Trevon-Duval-Nations-Top-Point-G-47460678/Amp

I never, ever want to hear about Duke basketball being focused on graduating players. K has completely sold out in his waning years

Who hasn't these days? That is what bball has turned in to and what you have to get used to as a school and a coach. The onus is on winning and to do that you have to get the best players. They are 4* or 5* players when coming to Duke, KY, UNC and even who we are trying to go after. Programs make the school $$$ and it is a now necessary cycle. We just had JC leave early. I hope we have more that are good enough, don't you?

Who hasn't these days? That is what bball has turned in to and what you have to get used to as a school and a coach. The onus is on winning and to do that you have to get the best players. They are 4* or 5* players when coming to Duke, KY, UNC and even who we are trying to go after. Programs make the school $$$ and it is a now necessary cycle. We just had JC leave early. I hope we have more that are good enough, don't you?

Reading the article would help considerably. Kid attended a fake high school/basketball factory

I remembered reading a funny quote from Duval's father about why he left one school for another, so I searched for it...

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2016/06/22/api-high-school-attracting-top-prospects-despite-ncaa-questions#

In September 2015, Trevon Duval, the top point guard in the class of 2017, transferred to API from St. Benedict's in Newark, a traditional national power that has produced NBA players J.R. Smith and Tyler Ennis. Duval's father, Trevor, says that his son's courses in 2015–16 were taken through the University of Nebraska High School, an accredited, university-based online school. St. Benedict's headmaster, Fr. Edwin Leahy, said Duval's transfer is "disgusting, but if you want to live in that world, you have to tolerate some of it." (Trevor says his son left St. Benedict's because his grades slipped: "Academics are very important to this family.")

Duval is still deciding whether to transfer elsewhere for his senior year. "It is a concern," Trevor says of the NCAA ruling on API. "I have to look out for his brand."

Bolded a couple of parts because they made me laugh.

Meh. He's no Lavar Ball.

4* Jordan Tucker picked Duke in a supposed flip from Syracuse. The kid grew up in White Plains, NY so Boeheim has been targeting him since he was 14 years old. A real loss for the whiner and a big get for Coach K. Duke will be stacked again this year and they only use a 7 man rotation. They will be fine if they don't get many injuries.

Reading the article would help considerably. Kid attended a fake high school/basketball factory

Yes, and add to that the fact that Duke admitted and somehow kept Harry Giles eligible after the shady school he attended his senior year.

So according to Scout, Duke is adding..

Wendell Carter
Trevon Duval
Gary Trent
Alex O'Connell
Jordan Tucker
Jordan Goldwire

Wonder how The Tripper is going to fit in?

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's a college basketball team that doesn't take its academics seriously. The quote about the father needing to protect his son's "brand" is fantastic. This kid has a "brand" before he's old enough to vote. Good luck coaching him to play defense.

Yes, and add to that the fact that Duke admitted and somehow kept Harry Giles eligible after the shady school he attended his senior year.

Probably not hard for any one & done. All they have to do is stay eligible for one semester. That is what is inherently wrong with all this, but that is the system we have with the NBA. So you either have to go with it and prosper or try to build the regular way and get a few 2 year players like we have done. I really hope we start getting more & more leave early in both football and basketball--that way we know we either got the talent or are developing the talent like we did with JC.

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's a college basketball team that doesn't take its academics seriously. The quote about the father needing to protect his son's "brand" is fantastic. This kid has a "brand" before he's old enough to vote. Good luck coaching him to play defense.

What was H Barnes's again -- The Black Falcon (TM)?

Probably not hard for any one & done. All they have to do is stay eligible for one semester.

No. A one and done's spring grades count towards the team APR, and the player has to be taking a full-time class load (12 credit hours). If one and done players didnt go to class their 2nd semesters than teams like Kentucky, Kansas, and Duke would have bad APR schools and potentially be penalized for it.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Now what types of classes they are taking and whether or not they are actually doing the work is another matter.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Back