• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT: Be good to each other and check on one another

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually believe WFH will be less ubiquitous based on the conversations I’ve been having with clients. More are creating a hybrid models to have people in a couple days a week
I've also heard chatter of moving to more stringent "return to office" policies as a way to cut headcount without incurring severance and unemployment insurance costs. It will either push some people to naturally seek work elsewhere or gives justification to terminate for cause.

*I am not endorsing this type of strategy and think it's problematic on a number of different levels.

I've also heard chatter of moving to more stringent "return to office" policies as a way to cut headcount without incurring severance and unemployment insurance costs. It will either push some people to naturally seek work elsewhere or gives justification to terminate for cause.

*I am not endorsing this type of strategy and think it's problematic on a number of different levels.
Yes. AT&T told all of their employees of a certain job function they had to move to Dallas. Ended up being a bit of a defacto layoff…

Even reuse of office buildings as residential is hard to do. It’s stupid expensive as I’m sure you know
Unless you make them into adult dorms, where people share bathrooms. With the price of rent skyrocketing, it is only a matter of time until this is done in NYC, SF or LA.

Unless you make them into adult dorms, where people share bathrooms. With the price of rent skyrocketing, it is only a matter of time until this is done in NYC, SF or LA.
boarding houses and SROs used to be pretty common until liberals got rid of them because they hate poor people (non-politically, of course)

looking at the prime day deals on video games just makes me cry comparing the prices to what I bought them for 6 months ago

How many of them, I wonder, are what you’d think of as a branch vs just a building with almost no staff or minimal hours?

I have some data on this... Though not exactly what you asked (but you can back into it).

There are currently ~365,000 bank tellers in the US (2021 data). That's down from ~550,000 in 2010. Huge drop from 2019 to 2020 (pandemic), so not sure if that number will creep up when we have '22 and '23 data.

Average # of monthly teller transactions:
1992 - ~12,000
2002 - ~10,000
2012 - ~7,500
2022 - ~4,500

Most common transactions using a teller: depositing cash and depositing a check

Both of those transactions are becoming more often automated, but for sizable deposits people still prefer to use a teller. Which I get. If I am bringing in a big bag of cash, I'm not sure I want to just feed it into a sort of ATM and hope it gets it right (even though it'd probably be more accurate than using the teller).

Teller pay also up significantly...
1992 - ~$8/hr
2002 - ~$12/hr
2012 - ~$15.50/hr
2022 - ~$21/hr

boarding houses and SROs used to be pretty common until liberals got rid of them because they hate poor people (non-politically, of course)
A housing shortage, rent inflation, increased back to the office mandates, the timing seems right for modern boarding houses in expensive cities, which allow gen z to walk to work. Lots of prime commercial real estate wiling to be sold. Instead of renting by the square footage for whole floors, landlords get to rent by the square footage of an office.

I can't find any prime day deals that are something I really need or even want.

Guess that's a good thing, but I'll miss out on feeling like I'm "saving" by spending, lol.

Not video game related, but I bought a GE ice machine for $230 this morning that was already delivered.

GE Opal 1.0 - Amazon.com

Usually like $450 and my wife has been asking for one forever.
In that vein, I am sitting HARD on a Dyson Cordless vacuum cleaner (they are like 30% off which translates to $200+ dollar savings)

Federal government isn’t changing that quickly. They are actually adding more things you can do at post offices.

As for banks, there will still be a need for physical locations with safety deposit boxes. I actually envision the banks of the future being more like the capital one cafe, work spaces where members can bring their laptops and be productive and get coffee and pastries.
Every time I try and mail a package at a post office they seem pissed and/or baffled

I have some data on this... Though not exactly what you asked (but you can back into it).

There are currently ~365,000 bank tellers in the US (2021 data). That's down from ~550,000 in 2010. Huge drop from 2019 to 2020 (pandemic), so not sure if that number will creep up when we have '22 and '23 data.

Average # of monthly teller transactions:
1992 - ~12,000
2002 - ~10,000
2012 - ~7,500
2022 - ~4,500

Most common transactions using a teller: depositing cash and depositing a check

Both of those transactions are becoming more often automated, but for sizable deposits people still prefer to use a teller. Which I get. If I am bringing in a big bag of cash, I'm not sure I want to just feed it into a sort of ATM and hope it gets it right (even though it'd probably be more accurate than using the teller).

Teller pay also up significantly...
1992 - ~$8/hr
2002 - ~$12/hr
2012 - ~$15.50/hr
2022 - ~$21/hr
Tellers also aren't nearly as transactional as they used to be. Now, they are a de facto first level sales force designed to increase wallet share- either in the form of gathering more deposits or referring you to lenders/ non-interest income generators.

I can't find any prime day deals that are something I really need or even want.

Guess that's a good thing, but I'll miss out on feeling like I'm "saving" by spending, lol.

We keep a pretty long list of stuff in our "save for later" or on specific lists. Whenever they do these events, I just check those items to see if they are having any deals worth pulling the trigger on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back