• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT: Be good to each other and check on one another

Status
Not open for further replies.
Either we're very lucky or you guys are really picky. Other than occasionally having to move taco night around because the avocados aren't ready we have very few issues with the produce we get with our grocery pick-up orders.
By "selection" I just mean that they have mostly everything, but they do an awful job of picking ripe fruits.

A housing shortage, rent inflation, increased back to the office mandates, the timing seems right for modern boarding houses in expensive cities, which allow gen z to walk to work. Lots of prime commercial real estate wiling to be sold. Instead of renting by the square footage for whole floors, landlords get to rent by the square footage of an office.
The irony here is that in the rush to gentrify inner cities, we completely destroyed a lot of functional infrastructure that could have helped achieve those things. It would take an awful lot of capacity that I don't think exists in most cities to rebuild this infrastructure.

the psychology on saving money on things you don't need is fascinating

Absolutely. I have to explain that to my wife often. Even better than saving a little money is just not buying the damn thing at all!

But these kind of events have changed my shopping habits on discretionary items. I very rarely buy things when I initially decide I want them... I usually just put some sort of alert on and buy when I see a deal. Ends up that I do most of my purchasing on Prime Days or Black Friday or whenever Home Depot does some holiday-driven event in the spring/fall.

Absolutely. I have to explain that to my wife often. Even better than saving a little money is just not buying the damn thing at all!

But these kind of events have changed my shopping habits on discretionary items. I very rarely buy things when I initially decide I want them... I usually just put some sort of alert on and buy when I see a deal. Ends up that I do most of my purchasing on Prime Days or Black Friday or whenever Home Depot does some holiday-driven event in the spring/fall.
Before or after you walk her through WWII ?

That's a well-disciplined and good strategy.

Before or after you walk her through WWII ?

Actually, last night I needed to explain to her the last play in the Braves game we were watching. She could not understand what happened (Harper getting doubled up at 1st).

My daughter, on the other hand, knew it right away and thought it was hilarious that mom couldn't wrap her head around it.

The handyman is putting in a door to the basement, and I don't know what to do while I am here. Both the peloton and xbox are both in the basement so I would have to interrupt his work to go down and come up.

Did you get the handyman to put in a smart thermostat?

In that vein, I am sitting HARD on a Dyson Cordless vacuum cleaner (they are like 30% off which translates to $200+ dollar savings)
my mom gave us one for Christmas and it's great. so easy to just quickly vacuum something up when my son makes a goddamn mess with a cookie or something

Every time I try and mail a package at a post office they seem pissed and/or baffled

One of my friends is a mailman. Nicest guy I have ever met. I asked why everyone else at the post office seems pissed off. He had no answer.

One of my friends is a mailman. Nicest guy I have ever met. I asked why everyone else at the post office seems pissed off. He had no answer.
seems like there is a big quality of life difference -- at least from observing the demeanor of the two groups -- between mail delivery staff and post office staff

My best friend in high school interned at the post office. I remember he asked everybody that same question (this was back when "going postal" was more of a thing). He had the same feedback. The delivery guys loved the job. The people in the post office hated it.

The best way I heard it described was, "The mail keeps coming. It never stops. There is always more."

So I think there's no feeling of completion... You don't ever get the satisfaction of finishing a task.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back