• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dan Collins on Bzz

Wellman isn't close to flying solo on this. Did you read his email? He's already had a group out there vetting candidates and gauging their interest.

The line about Hatch was all telling.

Today, Dan is mother fucking
The-Wires-Omar-Little-pla-001.jpg

How long do you think Dan has been waiting to send "Send" on that piece?

Finally, we get the column the beat reporter couldn't write. Nice job Collins.

Thank you Dan Collins. Do other schools have such little faith in their arrogant, pizza-faced potentially gay athletic directors? (Brokeback Mountain, anyone).

I think with @theschiffman breathing down his neck Dan knew he needed to step up

I think with @theschiffman breathing down his neck Dan knew he needed to step up

I think as the beat writer, Dan knew there was a time and place to write something like that

Any criticism of Dan since about mid-January on was misplaced. He has been excellent since then.

Excellent work. Gotta figure Dan's got another column or two ready based on the press conference.

As Howard Cosell would have said, "Down goes Wellman! Down goes Wellman!"

Dear Dan,

Your questions and coverage of the press conference were courageous. Thanks!

But, you went easy on Wellman in your MTOW today. Ron Wellman has single-handedly caused the bitterness and polarization that now characterizes Wake athletics. For four years he has arrogantly condescended to, and insulted the intelligence of, all Wake alumni, donors and fans. THAT is why the students rolled the quad to celebrate. Wellman made an inexcusably horrible hire in Jeff [Redacted], everybody in the sports world knew it at the time, the Wake fan base knew it, and Ron Wellman has spent four years telling us that the earth really is flat because he says so. Instead of honestly admitting he made a horrendous mistake and asking for unity and healing, he spent yesterday's press conference bitterly continuing to insult the intelligence of everyone by acting as if Jeff [Redacted] was a great coach who was unfairly maligned by ignorant Wake fans and alumni. It is clear that Ron Wellman, at this point, is more concerned about defending his own ego and personal status, than in bringing a splintered Wake alumni and fan base back together and making a great hire.

Further, Dan, you should note that Wellman has obviously had his wings clipped. In the past he has arrogantly boasted that Wake's hiring committee is "a committee of one, ME." None of that yesterday. He had to admit he will be forced to use a committee approach and Pres. Nathan Hatch will be involved. Not that I trust a committee or Nathan Hatch to pick a coach (Notre Dame assistant, anyone?), but this admission was evidence that Ron is no longer calling the shots. THAT was the real news at the press conference yesterday. Don't ignore it, Dan.

Good work overall Dan, but don't let Ron Wellman off the hook for this ongoing disaster.

FSD, great post...take that statement and post it on MTOW @ the WSJ for the population to read or better yet also post it on other msg. boards including ESPN...

The inescapable conclusion was that Wellman fired Gaudio – a scant five months after extending his contract – for reasons he was not ready to divulge. Call it admirable for not kicking a man after laying him out, but the unintended consequence to [Redacted]’s chances of making a go of it at Wake were devastating.

Not only did the Wake fans not know anything about [Redacted], they didn’t even know why he was their coach.

-Dan Collins

I think this is the most succinct way I've seen it summarized and it makes the most sense. There are still a lot of questions, and we probably will never have all the answers on record. So we're left with the inevitable conclusion that something bad and/or weird happened and Wellman made the calculated decision to handle it the way that he did, which we have to assume he felt was in the best interest of the university. But in doing so, he largely undermined whatever chance of success [Redacted] was going to have, at least in connecting with the fan base. All this before he even coached a game, and we know what happened after that.

People can smell a lie. And you can keep up appearances all you want, but trust is a difficult thing to repair once broken.

Big ups to Dan for asking the tough questions. He had essentially been waiting four years for this day. And he was prepared.

Post of the Year Nominee

Dear Dan,

Your questions and coverage of the press conference were courageous. Thanks!

But, you went easy on Wellman in your MTOW today. Ron Wellman has single-handedly caused the bitterness and polarization that now characterizes Wake athletics. For four years he has arrogantly condescended to, and insulted the intelligence of, all Wake alumni, donors and fans. THAT is why the students rolled the quad to celebrate. Wellman made an inexcusably horrible hire in Jeff [Redacted], everybody in the sports world knew it at the time, the Wake fan base knew it, and Ron Wellman has spent four years telling us that the earth really is flat because he says so. Instead of honestly admitting he made a horrendous mistake and asking for unity and healing, he spent yesterday's press conference bitterly continuing to insult the intelligence of everyone by acting as if Jeff [Redacted] was a great coach who was unfairly maligned by ignorant Wake fans and alumni. It is clear that Ron Wellman, at this point, is more concerned about defending his own ego and personal status, than in bringing a splintered Wake alumni and fan base back together and making a great hire.

Further, Dan, you should note that Wellman has obviously had his wings clipped. In the past he has arrogantly boasted that Wake's hiring committee is "a committee of one, ME." None of that yesterday. He had to admit he will be forced to use a committee approach and Pres. Nathan Hatch will be involved. Not that I trust a committee or Nathan Hatch to pick a coach (Notre Dame assistant, anyone?), but this admission was evidence that Ron is no longer calling the shots. THAT was the real news at the press conference yesterday. Don't ignore it, Dan.

Good work overall Dan, but don't let Ron Wellman off the hook for this ongoing disaster.

Kevin White and Hatch were at ND together for five years. That connection could get Mike in the mix if we go for upside potential instead of a more seasoned HC.

Thank you, Dan Collins and Free State hit the nail on the head. Look at how many of the players that were run-off the team are in the tourney.

Though I am nervous that it appears Wellman is flying solo, I do believe that he knows he has to knock this hire out of the park to save his legacy (What's left of it). Think it's funny that Hatch is in on this as well. Doesn't look like Wellman has the freedom he once had!

This is amazing - you manage to contradict your own claim in the next two sentences. Bravo.

Back