• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dan Collins: One Promise I'll Make

Surprised that Dan is doubling down on his column before. I'm impressed that he realizes one can be critical of a hire and give him a shot at the same time.

Why would you want to if in fact you will support the hire?

There's nothing to evaluate. Wellman HAS TO GO for Buzz alone. Jeez, even if he pulls Shaka out of his hat, he has to go. He is old, out of touch, making poor decisions, and lacking institutional and professional respect from his fanbase and peers. He should've announced his retirement at the beginning of the 2013 school year effective Dec 31 and had a successor lined up to step in.
But the Clawson hire is cool with you. Right?

Thanks Dan. I can sleep at night knowing you won't disregard the basic tenet of Journalism. To be fair and accurate. You would do well on this board. Take a bunch of stuff purportedly said by others and formulate a psychological profile of a prospective hire. Is it too much to ask to refrain from rumor and actually meet the person you are writing about first. I say Manning is an affable and gregarious coach. I read it on Google. I've never met him but so what. It's a fact and Im being fair and accurate.

He turns us down. Battle leads for one of shit show of a season while we hire a real AD. Then we get a good coach.

There's no guarantee a "real" coach will take the job. For all we know Ron may have talked with Shaka, Marshall, Howland, Miller, White, etc. and they all said thanks, but no thanks. Where would that leave us?

There's no guarantee a "real" coach will take the job. For all we know Ron may have talked with Shaka, Marshall, Howland, Miller, White, etc. and they all said thanks, but no thanks. Where would that leave us?

Manning

You'd think that would be obvious to Wake grads, but apparently not. I see a lot of people doing what they did with Buzz-- talking themselves into accepting and even embracing the hire because they don't want to look bad if the hire turns out to be good.
Maybe I'm missing something but how in the hell is that being critical of the hire but giving him a shot? If you believe people are acting just like they did accepting Bz, then you are comparing Manning to Bz, a coach most hate. "Talking themselves into accepting" Manning to start with implies there is little to no redeeming value in his background. That is giving the guy a shot? Seriously?

We have a thread that is running about 50:50 unacceptable hire. Unacceptable means not wanting to give someone a shot.

A lot of people (like yourself) are calling for Wellman's head because of this hire...which means they think it's bad. It's viewed by them as a loss...as if Wellman recruited a bad coach. That is no different than people complaining about Bz recruiting unacceptable players...throwing the players under the bus....or Bz himself doing it because they aren't responding to his coaching. It's passive aggressive nonsense. Labeling the guy "bad" before he even steps foot on our court is "giving Manning a shot"?

Wow. Either you give the guy a shot or not.....and you are complaining that people are talking themselves INTO just giving him a shot.

It was disappointing not to get someone with more credentials and higher profile meaning less risk, but that does not mean Manning is a bad hire worthy of all this passive aggressive negative BS. Wellman and apparently everyone else involved tried to hire a coach with more credentials so it's not like he didn't try. There are legit reasons why coaches view Wake as tough that have nothing to do with Wellman, a person Clawson said was well-liked in the coaching community. Does that somehow not extend to bball, or was the Clawson hire bad?

Some of you are dense. What do you think has happened here?

Lol

Yikes. Not exactly a ringing endorsement. But agree that the fan base needs to give him a shot.

This is not a hire that calls for a ringing endorsement. If he is hired, it's because he's the last guy on the list. This hire, as Dan intimated, is not a "swing for the fences" hire, it's an OMG we need a coach in place soon hire.

That article is sad. In my opinion Dan knows more about this guy than he has written, and has talked to more sources than he has cited. He knows this is another bad hire. When the best you can say is let's all be polite...what a mess.

Last edited:
the point of the article was Manning is an unknown and far from a home run hire he was hearing about. It is as much of an indictment on Wake (i.e. we couldn't land the big one) as it was on Manning.

Maybe I'm missing something but how in the hell is that being critical of the hire but giving him a shot? If you believe people are acting just like they did accepting Bz, then you are comparing Manning to Bz, a coach most hate. "Talking themselves into accepting" Manning to start with implies there is little to no redeeming value in his background. That is giving the guy a shot? Seriously?

We have a thread that is running about 50:50 unacceptable hire. Unacceptable means not wanting to give someone a shot.

A lot of people (like yourself) are calling for Wellman's head because of this hire...which means they think it's bad. It's viewed by them as a loss...as if Wellman recruited a bad coach. That is no different than people complaining about Bz recruiting unacceptable players...throwing the players under the bus....or Bz himself doing it because they aren't responding to his coaching. It's passive aggressive nonsense. Labeling the guy "bad" before he even steps foot on our court is "giving Manning a shot"?

Wow. Either you give the guy a shot or not.....and you are complaining that people are talking themselves INTO just giving him a shot.

It was disappointing not to get someone with more credentials and higher profile meaning less risk, but that does not mean Manning is a bad hire worthy of all this passive aggressive negative BS. Wellman and apparently everyone else involved tried to hire a coach with more credentials so it's not like he didn't try. There are legit reasons why coaches view Wake as tough that have nothing to do with Wellman, a person Clawson said was well-liked in the coaching community. Does that somehow not extend to bball, or was the Clawson hire bad?

We seem to be suffering from the battered wife syndrome. We had the worse offense in football for the last two years and Grobe said everything was fine. Bzz loses to Stetson and Iona et al, and Wellman is telling us about all these great young players. We're sick and tired of being sold a bag of shit. We don't trust Wellman anymore. Clawson was as good as other candidates, but he sold himself to us and didn't need a sales job by Wellman. When we have Manning speak to us, we can judge him then. We couldn't get anybody better, that has to be corrected.

the point of the article was Manning is an unknown and far from a home run hire he was hearing about. It is as much of an indictment on Wake (i.e. we couldn't land the big one) as it was on Manning.

That's sort of what I gathered from it was well. Manning could end up being a good hire (assuming he accepts) but it's not the big name many, including myself, were hoping for.

Anyone knocking Dan Collins for that article is denser than dense.

I thought it was a great piece by Dan and I hope many do take his advice. Most of the people on this board are taking it, and that's great to see. All we can do is be fair/objective in our criticism/praise of (hopefully) Manning moving forward. I'm not that worried about him being a bit introverted because a lot of good coaches are introverts. There is a huge difference between being introverted and awkward/bad with the media.

Yeah, there's a difference between being and introvert and being awkward, too.

Again, no one will care one bit how he dresses or how he quips to the media if he is a very successful coach.

Winning is everything.

Yeah, there's a difference between being and introvert and being awkward, too.

Again, no one will care one bit how he dresses or how he quips to the media if he is a very successful coach.

Winning is everything.

Yup. If [Redacted] had gone 70-50 or w/e then no one would be making fun of his ties or his awkwardness.

That's sort of what I gathered from it was well. Manning could end up being a good hire (assuming he accepts) but it's not the big name many, including myself, were hoping for.

My thoughts exactly.

I will say that Dan has been bringing it of late and I've enjoyed reading his columns! Thank you & keep it up, Dan!

"gaping fissures"

"I promise to give him the only break the really good ones ever need. I promise to give him a fair chance." And the really good ones know this. That's why talk of coaches being scared of a fan base that takes out a newspaper ad/rents a billboard after 3 years of historical sucking is ludicrous.

Back