• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Daniel Green and Greg Mclinton --knees ?

You're right. I'd call him a slash-and-shoot player. He'll get to the basket and spot-up outside, but I wouldn't expect him to create much for the time being. When I watched him in HS, he wasn't a particularly good shooter, either, so it'll be interesting to see a) what he's been able to add to his toolkit during his RS year and b) how well he's able to play alongside of Codi and/or Shelton.

sounds similar to your board namesake, How would you compare GMC/Strick?

sounds similar to your board namesake, How would you compare GMC/Strick?

I don't know, to be honest with you. I would be happy if GMac experienced a similar developmental trajectory (minus "the dunk"). Trent was dropping 17 and 11 early on in his senior season, but he couldn't sustain before he eventually finished up in Skip's doghouse. I think Greg has a higher ceiling than Trent ever did, but Strick left a ton of potential on the table, too.

I'm counting on gmc having a very good year he was a 4 star recruit who many said was the most athletic wing in the class

I'm counting on gmc having a very good year he was a 4 star recruit who many said was the most athletic wing in the class

Greg McClinton:
RSCI - #113
4-star Scout (#23 SF)
3-star Rivals (#22 SF)
3-star ESPN (#24 SF)

If you look at guys ranked around him in the RSCI, then I think a reasonable projection is anywhere between 4 and 7 ppg with a couple of rebounds and a steal thrown in for good measure.

I think Greg is going to be good for us, but we really need to keep expectations realistic.

I just want some throwdowns. His elite mix video at Hargrave is 90 percent alley oops, dunks and screams I like his swag

Greg McClinton:
RSCI - #113
4-star Scout (#23 SF)
3-star Rivals (#22 SF)
3-star ESPN (#24 SF)

If you look at guys ranked around him in the RSCI, then I think a reasonable projection is anywhere between 4 and 7 ppg with a couple of rebounds and a steal thrown in for good measure.

I think Greg is going to be good for us, but we really need to keep expectations realistic.

Great advice, but since when have we ever done that?

If he only scores 4 to 7 points a game while starting at SF, we will be in bad shape.

Green, McClinton, Shelton = Knee University.

If he only scores 4 to 7 points a game while starting at SF, we will be in bad shape.

Take a look at how freshmen wings ranked from 80-120 in the 2013 RSCI performed last year. You can hold out hope that Greg will be an outlier, but those guys went through a lot of growing pains, hit the freshman wall, etc. The best on there was Cal's Jordan Matthews at 8.5 ppg, even though some of these kids (like Koening for UW) ended up playing key roles down the stretch for their respective teams.

Before his knee injury senior season of HS, McClinton was a consensus 4-star

I'm not sure if this is true (I seem to remember one of the sites - either ESPN or Rivals - dropping him after the summer session in fall 2012), but the Greg McClinton who will be playing for us next year is the Greg McClinton who hasn't played in a game since January 2013 due to a torn ACL (second tear in his right knee) so it's a moot point anyway.

But McClinton is also a year older than other freshman and has no doubt learned a lot about the college game from being on the bench. An advantage and a disadvantage to not have played for so long. However, he's still got 6 months to get fully rehabilitated and in playing shape.

But McClinton is also a year older than other freshman and has no doubt learned a lot about the college game from being on the bench. An advantage and a disadvantage to not have played for so long. However, he's still got 6 months to get fully rehabilitated and in playing shape.

I hear you, but he still hasn't played competitive basketball in almost two years and he's never played an NCAA or ACC game. Coupled with the fact that the guy is an athlete first and foremost, and I'm not going to be surprised if he has an up-and-down freshman season.

I've watched enough of these fringe top-100 guys (and McClinton was already out of the RSCI top-100 by the time summer 2012 wrapped) to know that the first year, at least, requires patience.

He was also on [Redacted]'s bench.

I saw Green play the summer before he got hurt. He had gotten bigger and looked pretty darn good . Very athletic and long, something we desperately need on the defensive end.

Let's hope you're a better judge of talent than Chill. :couch:

Back