• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

There is a difference between being able to win championships as a player, and being able to win championships as a HC.

AP070311013406.jpg

Last edited:
Down 6 with 1:30 left. No prob for WES.

Some coaches can coach CLUTCH

You're such a miserable piece of shit.

And you've got a stick so far up your ass that it splinters to come out of your ears.

WAAAAAAAAH don't be mean to kickball or I'll call you names.

However, Josh Howard was a freshman on the 2000 team and both Dawson and Songaila were sophomores. One could argue that the experience they received by winning the NIT in 99-00 season help rebuild after the Duncan-Era. Granted, they got destroyed by Butler the following season, but in 01-02 they beat Pepperidine in the 1st Rd of the NCAAs, and won the regular season ACC Title outright in 02-03 (we can all theorize as what happened in the 02-03 NCAA Tourney, but I think almost all of us would agree that Howard was not the same player starting during the ACC Tourney). Also, we began to get better recruits during this time period too, and would we have still gotten CP3 if we were only playing in the NITs every season, or would he have gone to Duke or UNC?

My point is no one on this team knows how to win, including the head coach (excluding Childress). That experience of learning how to close out games is passed down from one class to the next, and it has to begin somewhere.

Is this fucking serious? The 2000 NIT run netted us two total NCAA wins over the next three years and that's evidence of your theory?

"Learning how to win" against other scrub teams clearly doesn't prepare you to win against NCAA quality teams down the stretch.

You know what does prepare you to win? Playing a shit ton of NCAA level teams. That's why I would much prefer losing a ton against our schedule over going 17-13 against the powder puff schedule we had under [Redacted], because I know that once the talent level is there, this team will know what it takes to beat NCAA quality teams.

Just curious, why NCAA Tourney over NIT? Also, I have a follow up question. If we went to the NCAA Tourney and lost in the 1st Rd but went to the NIT and reached only the Final Four, then would you change your mind? If not, could you please explain why. I'm just trying to understand why some people value a one and done in the NCAA Tourney over the ability to make a deep run in the NIT.

No that wouldn't change my mind. This team doesn't need to learn how to beat teams 50-80 on its home floor. I'm confident they know how to do that.

I'd rather they get as many reps as possible against top 30 teams.

I might be swayed if there was evidence that, all else being equal, teams coming off a long NIT run do better the next year than teams that lose first round of the NCAA as a 10-12 seed. I doubt there is.

Last edited:
I was only referring to Randolph in case someone brought him up. However, Manning is the HC, and Randolph is only an assistant. There is a difference between being able to win championships as a player, but fail as a HC.

"Danny Manning doesn't know how to win" is on the same level of stupid as "John Lewis is all talk." Just stop.

"Danny Manning doesn't know how to win" is on the same level of stupid as "John Lewis is all talk." Just stop.

i agree, Manning has a trophy case of winning as a player. maybe you could have said he doesn't know how to teach winning.

I would take the worst case NCAAT scenario - first four game in Dayton and get completely blown out, over winning the NIT by pounding every opponent - every single time. Making the NCAAT is a recruiting tool, is a great experience for the players, and is what every single college basketball player wants to do in March (go dancing).

I would take the worst case NCAAT scenario - first four game in Dayton and get completely blown out, over winning the NIT by pounding every opponent - every single time. Making the NCAAT is a recruiting tool, is a great experience for the players, and is what every single college basketball player wants to do in March (go dancing).

Just curious - is there anyone who can make a case for NOT taking this scenario?

Just curious - is there anyone who can make a case for NOT taking this scenario?

I could see the argument for Final Four NIT over initial play-in game. Get more experience, get ticket sales, more practice, and also exposure of MSG.

I would still take the NCAA-T.

I could see the argument for Final Four NIT over initial play-in game. Get more experience, get ticket sales, more practice, and also exposure of MSG.

The NIT plays for #69.

I think the NIT would be beneficial if you had a very young team and they were all coming back - assuming you made a deep run in the NIT. It would give them more games and more practice time together, the experience of playing (and winning) in a win-or-go-home environment and make them even hungrier for the same experience in the big dance...

Stanford parlayed their 2015 NIT Championship into a 15-15 record and no postseason berth in 2016. Villanova turned their second round (R32) loss into a national championship

What if we make the NCAAT but we're in one of those Tuesday night play-in games ? How much credibility ?

Back