• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Definitely giving me some old Jim Grobe vibes. Does a lot of things right to put his team in position to win games, but then horribly mismanages the final stretch and turns wins into losses.

So special that it keeps happening to Wake athletic teams

Definitely giving me some old Jim Grobe vibes. Does a lot of things right to put his team in position to win games, but then horribly mismanages the final stretch and turns wins into losses.

Yeah I thought the same thing, these feel like Grobe games just letting it bleed away while playing not to lose

I guess we just skipped the successful teams part of this equation.

What rankles me is the huge boost we give to Duke. A double-digit loss after Duke leads most of the way is a yawner that goes by pretty much unnoticed. Instead we lead Duke by about 10 most of the game and then allow them to pull out a dramatic come from behind victory on our home court at the last minute. The Dukies patented late-game heroics restore their honor and turn their season around, courtesy of the hapless Deamon Deccons.

Same crap we have seen all year in crunch time. Other team makes adjustments, we dribble around and jack up 3s. Other team has a hot shooter, we continue to guide him with our worst perimeter defender without switching off the screen. Buttholes pucker late and we lose. Again.

Dribble around and jack up threes = coaching lack of.

Grobe>Manning

And it's not close.

The good news is this dook team is pretty flawed. The 95 team that stunk had the same PG issue. Teams that can muster a second half defense will have more luck closing them out.

At least it was an ESPN3 game for most of the country.

The word is out on Wake basketball. No matter how bad you are being outplayed, ramp up the pressure and there is a great chance that Wake panics and lets you steal the game.

The most anti-clutch players ever.

Want that perception to end, then man up and execute at the end of the game. No other team in the ACC this happens to. We almost gave away the State game too. What was that a 10 point lead with 40 seconds left?

I am so tired of this crap.

I guess we just skipped the successful teams part of this equation.

Grobe eventually got to that point, even if he never kicked his horrible game managing. Hopefully DM will get there as well, but in his case I hope he and the players will eventually play like they've got a damn clue when it counts

The word is out on Wake basketball. No matter how bad you are being outplayed, ramp up the pressure and there is a great chance that Wake panics and lets you steal the game.

The most anti-clutch players ever.

Want that perception to end, then man up and execute at the end of the game. No other team in the ACC this happens to. We almost gave away the State game too. What was that a 10 point lead with 40 seconds left?

I am so tired of this crap.

Seriously. We ran a baseline double screen to get Collins the ball on our 2nd to last possession and our guards missed him. Ran a backside screen opposite elbow the play before to get him position and Duke helped down to prevent the pass.

Everyone on the floor knows we need to go to Collins late. Manning knows. The opposing coach knows. Our guards are playing like dog shit and making terrible decisions consistently down the stretch. It's not coaching, they need to grow the fuck out of it.

UVA just gives the ball to Perrantes and he makes good decisions and hits huge shots. Our guards don't do that. Someone needs to break through but nobody is. Wilbekin, Woods, Crawford - they're all taking turns making bad plays with leads to close out games.

Everyone on the floor knows we need to go to Collins late. Manning knows. The opposing coach knows. Our guards are playing like dog shit and making terrible decisions consistently down the stretch. It's not coaching, they need to grow the fuck out of it.

Team comes out of timeouts looking lost and offense quickly breaks down each time; DC blames players.

Team comes out of timeouts looking lost and offense quickly breaks down each time; DC blames players.

They don't look lost for the first 38 minutes of the game. It's called execution. Manning will own the record at the end of the year, and blame him all you want for not developing Crawford enough to stop the hero ball bullshit or just running isolations for Woods if he's our guy in crunch time.

They don't look lost for the first 38 minutes of the game. It's called execution. Manning will own the record at the end of the year, and blame him all you want for not developing Crawford enough to stop the hero ball bullshit or just running isolations for Woods if he's our guy in crunch time.

It's a pattern. Are you saying that there is nothing that the staff can do to prevent this from happening game-after-game? That doesn't make sense because, as you point out, we play pretty well for most of the game. It's likely equal parts lack of execution and preparation/imagination.

So what was our highest winning percentage in this game? Another loss when we have a 98% plus chance to win?

It's a pattern. Are you saying that there is nothing that the staff can do to prevent this from happening game-after-game? That doesn't make sense because, as you point out, we play pretty well for most of the game. It's likely equal parts lack of execution and preparation/imagination.

No, but the non-basketball people acting like Manning has no idea what he's doing just gets old. When we run multiple off-ball screens for Collins and he's open but our guards don't hit him, that is not on Manning. When Woods misses every shot and every free throw to let Clemson back in the game, that is not on Manning. When Woods banks in a terrible shot then gives himself the green light to take another terrible shot today that is not on Manning. When Collins sets a pick for Crawford then rolls to the bucket but Crawford pulls it back out, or when he forces that shot to end the game instead of lobbing it to an open Collins for the game-tying dunk... You get the picture.

It's also shit luck that a guy shot 100% from deep. Duke went 1/8 against NC State's garbage defense just one game ago at home. Fucking unreal.

But no, I don't hold Manning unaccountable nor do I think there's nothing a coaching staff could do. It's more that Manning is pretty much a constant as coach. We have a decent motion offense, we're adding some good wrinkles, we're limited on defense, but we're progressing. He's no X's and O's master but he's fine and will hopefully continue to improve.

My point is the wild swings are much more player-oriented to close out games than they are coaching oriented on this team. We lost Collins after 5 minutes in the first half and built a 10 point lead at halftime. The tools are there, the system is fine. But no player is stepping up as a leader to win games for this team down the stretch. While that's ultimately on Manning, it's not some individual set of playcalling in the final 90 seconds that's causing it.

Man, at least CMM closed games for us. We can't close under Manning. I'm so sick and tired of Manning limiting JC's minutes. I give Manning credit for recruiting JC and Crawford and Woods. But he sucks at in-game coaching and he sucks at closing. We need an up-and-comer like Wes Miller. It's not LOWF it's reality. I'm drunk so there might be hyperbole but I don't care I'm tired of this

Back