• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

No, but the non-basketball people acting like Manning has no idea what he's doing just gets old. When we run multiple off-ball screens for Collins and he's open but our guards don't hit him, that is not on Manning. When Woods misses every shot and every free throw to let Clemson back in the game, that is not on Manning. When Woods banks in a terrible shot then gives himself the green light to take another terrible shot today that is not on Manning. When Collins sets a pick for Crawford then rolls to the bucket but Crawford pulls it back out, or when he forces that shot to end the game instead of lobbing it to an open Collins for the game-tying dunk... You get the picture.

It's also shit luck that a guy shot 100% from deep. Duke went 1/8 against NC State's garbage defense just one game ago at home. Fucking unreal.

But no, I don't hold Manning unaccountable nor do I think there's nothing a coaching staff could do. It's more that Manning is pretty much a constant as coach. We have a decent motion offense, we're adding some good wrinkles, we're limited on defense, but we're progressing. He's no X's and O's master but he's fine and will hopefully continue to improve.

My point is the wild swings are much more player-oriented to close out games than they are coaching oriented on this team. We lost Collins after 5 minutes in the first half and built a 10 point lead at halftime. The tools are there, the system is fine. But no player is stepping up as a leader to win games for this team down the stretch. While that's ultimately on Manning, it's not some individual set of playcalling in the final 90 seconds that's causing it.
Strawmam as usual. People who are concerned about Manning do not think he knows nothing about basketball. We recognize his many good qualities. For me, I don't think he's going to be able to put it all together at the end of the day to get us to the top of the mountain. And that theory keeps being proven.

You need to stop categorizing posters as "non-basketball people" when we are willing to state observations that you are unwilling to admit. No doubt you still think my position is unreasonable, when your bend over backwards defenses and straw men are actually what is beginning to look more and more unreasonable.

Strawmam as usual. People who are concerned about Manning do not think he knows nothing about basketball. We recognize his many good qualities. For me, I don't think he's going to be able to put it all together at the end of the day to get us to the top of the mountain. And that theory keeps being proven.

You need to stop categorizing posters as "non-basketball people" when we are willing to state observations that you are unwilling to admit. No doubt you still think my position is unreasonable, when your bend over backwards defenses and straw men are actually what is beginning to look more and more unreasonable.

I have to agree with this sentiment. Manning does have some good traits but he cannot close out games. Georgia Tech is becoming a tough team at home as they have upset both FSU and UNC. When is Manning going to beat a top 25 team, much less two top 10 teams in one season?

No, but the non-basketball people acting like Manning has no idea what he's doing just gets old. When we run multiple off-ball screens for Collins and he's open but our guards don't hit him, that is not on Manning. When Woods misses every shot and every free throw to let Clemson back in the game, that is not on Manning. When Woods banks in a terrible shot then gives himself the green light to take another terrible shot today that is not on Manning. When Collins sets a pick for Crawford then rolls to the bucket but Crawford pulls it back out, or when he forces that shot to end the game instead of lobbing it to an open Collins for the game-tying dunk... You get the picture.

It's also shit luck that a guy shot 100% from deep. Duke went 1/8 against NC State's garbage defense just one game ago at home. Fucking unreal.

But no, I don't hold Manning unaccountable nor do I think there's nothing a coaching staff could do. It's more that Manning is pretty much a constant as coach. We have a decent motion offense, we're adding some good wrinkles, we're limited on defense, but we're progressing. He's no X's and O's master but he's fine and will hopefully continue to improve.

My point is the wild swings are much more player-oriented to close out games than they are coaching oriented on this team. We lost Collins after 5 minutes in the first half and built a 10 point lead at halftime. The tools are there, the system is fine. But no player is stepping up as a leader to win games for this team down the stretch. While that's ultimately on Manning, it's not some individual set of playcalling in the final 90 seconds that's causing it.

What, no paragraph about how Bennett is no better than Manning. i really miss that - it's always so entertaining.

What, no paragraph about how Bennett is no better than Manning. i really miss that - it's always so entertaining.

Bennett was 0 for 5 against Duke in his first 3 years. No paragraph needed.

Seriously. We ran a baseline double screen to get Collins the ball on our 2nd to last possession and our guards missed him. Ran a backside screen opposite elbow the play before to get him position and Duke helped down to prevent the pass.

Everyone on the floor knows we need to go to Collins late. Manning knows. The opposing coach knows. Our guards are playing like dog shit and making terrible decisions consistently down the stretch. It's not coaching, they need to grow the fuck out of it.

UVA just gives the ball to Perrantes and he makes good decisions and hits huge shots. Our guards don't do that. Someone needs to break through but nobody is. Wilbekin, Woods, Crawford - they're all taking turns making bad plays with leads to close out games.

This.

Seriously. We ran a baseline double screen to get Collins the ball on our 2nd to last possession and our guards missed him. Ran a backside screen opposite elbow the play before to get him position and Duke helped down to prevent the pass.

Everyone on the floor knows we need to go to Collins late. Manning knows. The opposing coach knows. Our guards are playing like dog shit and making terrible decisions consistently down the stretch. It's not coaching, they need to grow the fuck out of it.

UVA just gives the ball to Perrantes and he makes good decisions and hits huge shots. Our guards don't do that. Someone needs to break through but nobody is. Wilbekin, Woods, Crawford - they're all taking turns making bad plays with leads to close out games.

Kenard is 9-9 from the field, everyone in the stadium knows they are going to try and get him the ball. And they did easily. Here is an idea, instead of running the clock down get the damn ball to Collins at the first opportunity.

Kenard is 9-9 from the field, everyone in the stadium knows they are going to try and get him the ball. And they did easily. Here is an idea, instead of running the clock down get the damn ball to Collins at the first opportunity.

Well that should be the idea for every possession.

Manning deserves credit for building an NCAA level talented team. A big improvement over the talent level of our recent teams. I think he has also done a respectable job at player development. Respectable not great. I suppose these are the good traits earlier posters are referring to. Unfortunately, the positive traits end there. The outcome of college games of equally talented teams (we have been on equal footing with all opponents this season with the exception of 2 or 3 games) comes down to strategy, leadership and passion of the head coach. Manning has a huge deficit in all of these critical areas. In my opinion these deficits are too great for him to overcome. Therefore, we are simply wasting time everyday he remains our coach. Bottom line: he would make a great assistant coach but he lacks the traits of successful head coaches. At the end of the day, coaches are judged on their record and he has the second half of the season to turn things around (and also the talent!). We will see how it turns out, but I am not optimistic. The saddest part of it all is that our administration does not value winning the way other P5 schools do so Manning will get the opportunity to waste another season after this one.
Ning

Pastner with three significant ACC wins in half a season. Manning with zero in his entire time here.

Man, at least CMM closed games for us. We can't close under Manning. I'm so sick and tired of Manning limiting JC's minutes. I give Manning credit for recruiting JC and Crawford and Woods. But he sucks at in-game coaching and he sucks at closing. We need an up-and-comer like Wes Miller. It's not LOWF it's reality. I'm drunk so there might be hyperbole but I don't care I'm tired of this

He sat Collins in the first half when he got #2 as he should have. We actually maintained the lead. He played most of the second half. There are aspects of his game management worthy of critique imo, but that wasn't one of them this time.

Last edited:
You know Kennard is option 1 in that situation. Highly likely they bring him off a screen. Have a plan other than your 5'11" poor perimeter defender fighting through the screen. Why was wilbekin even on the floor there?

We should have attacked the press more aggressively to a) try to get a layup (we did early) and b) have more time on the shot clock to run offense and look for Collins.

He sat Collins in the first half when he got #2 as he should have. We actually maintained the lead. He played most of the second half. There are aspects of his game management worthy of critique imo, but that wasn't one of them this time.
Kennard and Collins are the best players on their teams. Both got two fouls early (Kennard did before Collins FWIW). Duke was still able to get 33 minutes out of Kennard. Meanwhile Wake only got 22 minutes out of Collins. I don't care if we maintained the lead; we need to learn how to grow it by playing Collins more.

Kennard and Collins are the best players on their teams. Both got two fouls early (Kennard did before Collins FWIW). Duke was still able to get 33 minutes out of Kennard. Meanwhile Wake only got 22 minutes out of Collins. I don't care if we maintained the lead; we need to learn how to grow it by playing Collins more.

So you would have left Collins in when he picked up his 2nd foul withnover 12 mins left in the first half? I can see arguing to put him back in with 4-5 min left in the first half, but we were playing well and we couldn't afford to let him get #3.

But the refs changed 2 of Kennard's fouls and put them on other Dookies so that he could keep playing. This had a lot to do with it.

Also, if JC fouls out, we are in much more trouble than they are if Kennard fouls out. But reality doesn't matter here.

But the refs changed 2 of Kennard's fouls and put them on other Dookies so that he could keep playing. This had a lot to do with it.

Also, if JC fouls out, we are in much more trouble than they are if Kennard fouls out. But reality doesn't matter here.

Speaking of reality, have you figured out that bobknightfan and boobknightfan are two different posters yet?

Speaking of reality, have you figured out that bobknightfan and boobknightfan are two different posters yet?

What are your "principles" today? Unlike the honest on the right or the left, yours sway in the wind.

Did you put the lawn jockey back up in front of your house?

Back