• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Low credibility at this point. Beating Richmond won't solve this. Until he can show he can consistently coach IN A FUCKING GAME Manning is wasting Wake's time and money with his presence.

Low credibility at this point. Beating Richmond won't solve this. Until he can show he can consistently coach IN A FUCKING GAME Manning is wasting Wake's time and money with his presence.

As is Wellman!

you must be one of those college basketball fans that think successful coaches just grow on trees, and that they all would be interested in trying to rebuild this program. Danny has done a great job recruiting when this program was in its worst shape in a long time. if you cant see the development in individual players you dont know basketball. does he need in game coaching experience and work, yes...but im all for being patient with a promising coach who his competition praise. better than mr rogers and his personality of a rock.

Doofus, Richmond wouldn't be a Kenpom toss up if not for Manning's questionable coaching.

A projected win because we would have a better team.

A projected win because we would have a better team.

I must agree with this.

Even LOWF Creamy thinks it's bs that we are calling games like Richmond a toss up. Manning had a lot of work to do when he came in but we are as talented as we have been in 6 years and have a future NBA big man. No reason we lose games like this for any reason other than sub par coaching. Our roster is top 10 in the ACC which should translate to top 35-40 Nationally.

Doofus, Richmond wouldn't be a Kenpom toss up if not for Manning's questionable coaching.

Ph, your basketball analysis is hilariously bad. Your boi, Crawford shot 25% in the last game and had 9 TO's to 4 assists. You've promoted him as ACC starting talent. He had a bad game and we lost. How about laying off Manning's coaching when he gets a performance like that from talent you advertise as sufficient.

And before you argue that the talent is fine but the bad game was a result of poor coaching, that game was Crawford's worst this year, and possibly worst in his college career. So were the other good games a result of Manning's good coaching?

Same question for you Creamy. By how much?

Not trying to be a dick - I'm always pretty fascinated by how many actual points fans think that in-game coaching is responsible for.

Ranking 35 in KenPom is projected to win by 4 at Richmond. We are projected to win by 1.

Not sure where you think a different coach would have us in the rankings, but it'd be a toss up in pretty much all situations.

Not trying to be a dick - I'm always pretty fascinated by how many actual points fans think that in-game coaching is responsible for.

I would say that if we had a properly coached defense, that would be worth 5-8 points. I think fixing defensive substitutions could be worth at least another 4-5 points. That would include using Moore's rim protection for more than a few minutes a game plus playing Moore and Collins at the same time for some portion of the game. Actual in game coaching, calling time outs, running plays, etc should be worth another 4 points.

That totals up to at least 13 points per game. That would assume a great coach at all phases of the game and there are precious few of those. That said, Manning is leaving a lot of points on the floor or the bench.

The ability to sense momentum swings, alter your substitution patterns to fit the opponent's defense, recognize when one of your guys is just off (e.g. Crawford vs. NW), and make halftime adjustments all have to be worth tangible points. Exactly how many is a different story.

you must be one of those college basketball fans that think successful coaches just grow on trees, and that they all would be interested in trying to rebuild this program. Danny has done a great job recruiting when this program was in its worst shape in a long time. if you cant see the development in individual players you dont know basketball. does he need in game coaching experience and work, yes...but im all for being patient with a promising coach who his competition praise. better than mr rogers and his personality of a rock.

Whom was also "praised" by his competition.

I would say that if we had a properly coached defense, that would be worth 5-8 points. I think fixing defensive substitutions could be worth at least another 4-5 points. That would include using Moore's rim protection for more than a few minutes a game plus playing Moore and Collins at the same time for some portion of the game. Actual in game coaching, calling time outs, running plays, etc should be worth another 4 points.

That totals up to at least 13 points per game. That would assume a great coach at all phases of the game and there are precious few of those. That said, Manning is leaving a lot of points on the floor or the bench.

Per KenPom, there is exactly one team in the country that is 13 points better than we are, and that's dook. Even #3 UVA is only favored by 14 against us in Charlottesville, so that comes out to 10-11 points on a neutral floor. I don't think you're going to find much support for the proposition that our roster is as good as dook's and Manning could/should be putting up a Krzyzewski-like coaching performance to capture those 13 points

At least 13 points per game? See, this is why quantifying an opinion matters. That is absolutely absurd. We'd easily be top 5 in the country with some better coaching? No wonder there are posts about firing Manning and shitting on his coaching, he's eliminating the 2nd leading scorer on the team through questionable in-game moves!

Whom was also "praised" by his competition.

there were college coaches who actually thought bzzkill would make a good coach at their level? thats news to me. being able to relate and connect with an 18 yr old is a whole lot different than being able to evaluate and full grown adults already proven talent. if there is anyone that actually thought that was a good hire, other than wellman, they are probably the ones thinking manning cant get the job done.

Back