• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

KenPom has Wake going 12-18 on the season, but winners of their next 5. After getting a taste of that fan base, I really hope they win Tuesday.

Anyone hating on Manning has to give him some credit for last night. Went to a zone for a large portion of the game, played Sarr and Doral together for stretches of the game, Doral has overall been pretty good this year including last night, Donovan Mitchell might be a contributor at the 3 and 4.

Anyone hating on Manning has to give him some credit for last night. Went to a zone for a large portion of the game, played Sarr and Doral together for stretches of the game, Doral has overall been pretty good this year including last night, Donovan Mitchell might be a contributor at the 3 and 4.

Thrilled to finally see some zone. Now let's address the total lack of focus on rebounding. It doesn't matter what defense Wake is playing, the inability to gather rebounds is killing us. 17 offensive boards for Illinois last night.

Thrilled to finally see some zone. Now let's address the total lack of focus on rebounding. It doesn't matter what defense Wake is playing, the inability to gather rebounds is killing us. 17 offensive boards for Illinois last night.

Part of that is due to the zone. Part of that is due to having one guy who is naturally a good rebounder in Doral. Part of that is due to our lack of height at times. We're an evolving team. It needs to improve, no doubt.

Part of that is due to the zone. Part of that is due to having one guy who is naturally a good rebounder in Doral. Part of that is due to our lack of height at times. We're an evolving team. It needs to improve, no doubt.

It was a great win for us to get us almost back to .500. I like that we didn't commit too many turnovers and we shot 51% from the field. The rebounding kept Illinois in the game longer than they should have been. Off. rebounding was 17-4 in favor off Illinois, but our defense held them to 39% shooting.

I still believe we will reach 7-5 before conference play starts, and suffer a loss against Tennessee. Either way, great win for the Deacs last night.

I wonder sometimes if Danny Manning has an ego to the extent that it predisposes him to stubbornness. Being one of the best big men ever to play the college game, it has surprised me that he didn't come right out the gate with more big man action. The 4-guar lineup is shit. Good maybe at end of game for FT shooting; otherwise not so much for most else.

We saw less of the 4-guard lineup last night. Good. We saw more out of Mitchell and Sarr. Doral played 30+ minutes. Why in the world would he think that the 4-guard arrangement would be the best option? We did see it last night, and when we did, we quickly lost a nice lead.

I just don't get that, if he's the big-time big man coach out there, the bigger guys didn't get more run early (outside of the Sarr injury).

Were Okeke and Big Sam DNP last night?

Last edited:
I think okeke got a short stint at the end of the first half for defense but could be mistaken. Also, okeke autocorrects to omelette on my phone so that’s pretty cool.

Okeke did get a short run. Solid win. Loved our free throw dependability.

I wonder sometimes if Danny Manning has an ego to the extent that it predisposes him to stubbornness. Being one of the best big men ever to play the college game, it has surprised me that he didn't come right out the gate with more big man action. The 4-guar lineup is shit. Good maybe at end of game for FT shooting; otherwise not so much for most else.

We saw less of the 4-guard lineup last night. Good. We saw more out of Mitchell and Sarr. Doral played 30+ minutes. Why in the world would he think that the 4-guard arrangement would be the best option? We did see it last night, and when we did, we quickly lost a nice lead.

I just don't get that, if he's the big-time big man coach out there, the bigger guys didn't get more run early (outside of the Sarr injury).

Were Okeke and Big Sam DNP last night?

At times it seems like Manning thinks he is coaching a team that’s missing its starting front court and only has one big man on the bench he can remotely trust to play significant minutes. Not sure what gave him such a crazy idea.

At times it seems like Manning thinks he is coaching a team that’s missing its starting front court and only has one big man on the bench he can remotely trust to play significant minutes. Not sure what gave him such a crazy idea.

We get it. He also stuck with it through 3 absolutely terrible losses to teams we had no business losing to. He's clearly stubborn. If he has corrected that then great. If he's gotten the attention of the guards that looked to be playing lazy to start the season then great. Those losses are the kind that kill a season.

We get it. He also stuck with it through 3 absolutely terrible losses to teams we had no business losing to. He's clearly stubborn. If he has corrected that then great. If he's gotten the attention of the guards that looked to be playing lazy to start the season then great. Those losses are the kind that kill a season.

I agree. I’d much rather him spaz out and completely change the team’s game plan on the fly midseason in reaction to bad losses. Fuck the long game.

I get it. He deserves full blame for our start to the season. I’m sure he thought his guards could handle a relatively easy non conference schedule while he figured out what combination of bigs he had to replace Collins and Dinos. He was wrong, and that miscalculation probably cost us whatever shot we had at the NCAA tournament. On the other hand, if our guards weren’t good enough to handle that slate in the first place what chance did we really have.

He owns it either way cause these are his guys. Either they aren’t good enough or he didn’t have them ready to play.

Most of the posts on this thread would be perfectly fine on the “How do you feel RIGHT NOW about Wake BBall” thread or the “People with a barely passing understanding of how a 3-2 zone works lecture Danny Manning” thread, but they don’t have much relevance on this one.

Well Shaka Smart might be looking for a job if things don't turn around soon.

Good points here and I really don't want argue, but as I said on another thread, in defense of Manning for the first few games; I think he thought like most of us)that our guards would be the strength of our team. Until last night, Crawford has been a disappointment and none of the others have been consistent. Hopefully the Illinois game will be a harbinger of our guard play going on while our bigs continue to develop. The grad transfer has been a major disappointment.

The zone D was much needed to keep Doral on the floor.

Now if only we could learn how to rebound the ball. :tard:

Back