• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

I just meant that Currie could just release a statement (or Skype from his house in a bathrobe, for all I care). I don’t need a formal press conference about the firing.

It would kind of be the most Wake Forest thing ever to forget to call a presser and then nobody would know that we fired Manning and hired Matta.

I just meant that Currie could just release a statement (or Skype from his house in a bathrobe, for all I care). I don’t need a formal press conference about the firing.

Or while sitting on a toilet.

It’s been a rough year for him. He definitely isn’t my first choice, and I think he used to be on my top 3 (he isn’t now), but I still think he’d be an ok hire. There would be some risk. I really wouldn’t go for Miller, Richey, or Forbes.

The most underrated, unnoticed coach by this board has to be Craig Smith. The guy is getting it done at Utah State. I know he doesn’t have much of a presence in North Carolina, and has no connections to Currie or Wake (that I know of). But does that matter? Shouldn’t we go after the coach that is the best at what he does... recruit the best players possible, develop those players, and fan engagement? If Beilein says no, Smith would be my #2. If Smith couldn’t happen. Maybe I do look at Forbes or Miller. The thing that scares me about Forbes is he’s winning with a bunch of seniors. I think it’s become pretty clear that Manning has had a very difficult time keeping his players around, for whatever reason. I absolutely believe part of that is on him, but I also think part of it is the game is changing. There are many more opportunities for guys to make money professionally playing basketball after you play at a school like Wake Forest in the ACC for a couple of years. If Forbes can’t find ways to win with young players, that will do him under at Wake. At ETSU he’s gone out found guys that weren’t getting the playing time they think they deserved at the P6 level. He’s brought them into his conference, and he’s winning with them. They’re better than the competition.

Maybe a little bit of an overreaction, but I just don’t want another let down coach. I’m ready for a winner. Beilein, come on down to The Dash. You’ll be welcomed with open arms!

Craig just bumped up his prospects with the defeat of San Diego State. Made the big dance from nowhere. Burst somebody's bubble because SDSU is still in.

Craig just bumped up his prospects with the defeat of San Diego State. Made the big dance from nowhere. Burst somebody's bubble because SDSU is still in.

Is he now out of reach? Wake has to have perfect timing to get em while they are hot but not too hot since we are a dumpster fire.:eek:

I’m just happy that Currie cares enough about the average Wake fan to wade through all the inane bullshit and asinine conjecture on this message board to assist in his hiring decision.

DR must be incredibly lucky or some kind of idiot savant to have amassed his fortune, because his positions on the board are consistently the dumbest of any regular poster.

I'm reading all of these negative comments the last few pages by prominent Wake alums about Wes Miller, Russell Turner, and Pat Kelsey. Our AD is reading them as well.

Let's be clear: in March, 2020 an overwhelming majority of Wake folks wanted us to pursue Beilein, Matta, Shaka type hire over Miller, Turner and/or Kelsey.

Your positions will have consequences. We could have hired Miller, Turner and/or Kelsey in 2014 had the alumni base rallied around that. It did not. Now here we are in 2020. Same positions are being asserted.

Regardless of the merits of which decision is correct, let there be no doubt that now, at this critical time, our alums are deciding to not rally around the Miller, Turner, and/or Kelsey type option. We will see how that decision plays out as well but no one later write that it did not happen.

LOL, nice projection. Let's be clear, the only one around here that lied about their previous coach support is you - you denied being all in on John Pelphrey.

Also, you used "and/or" incorrectly, though it did remind me of the great Demetri Martin tweet, "I'm sick and/or tired of being indecisive."

In an effort to help Currie out, so far I like Steve Forbes and Craig Smith if the bigger names aren’t interested.

I'm reading all of these negative comments the last few pages by prominent Wake alums about Wes Miller, Russell Turner, and Pat Kelsey. Our AD is reading them as well.

Let's be clear: in March, 2020 an overwhelming majority of Wake folks wanted us to pursue Beilein, Matta, Shaka type hire over Miller, Turner and/or Kelsey.

Your positions will have consequences. We could have hired Miller, Turner and/or Kelsey in 2014 had the alumni base rallied around that. It did not. Now here we are in 2020. Same positions are being asserted.

Regardless of the merits of which decision is correct, let there be no doubt that now, at this critical time, our alums are deciding to not rally around the Miller, Turner, and/or Kelsey type option. We will see how that decision plays out as well but no one later write that it did not happen.

So the last ten year debacle is our fault. Not Wellman, not Hatch, not [Redacted], not Manning, but ours. Huh.

I’m just happy that Currie cares enough about the average Wake fan to wade through all the inane bullshit and asinine conjecture on this message board to assist in his hiring decision.

DR must be incredibly lucky or some kind of idiot savant to have amassed his fortune, because his positions on the board are consistently the dumbest of any regular poster.

If you think I have a big personality, DR dwarfs me these days.

It’s pretty exciting that our posts impact his decision!

The "alumni base" had zero influence on Wellman's process for hiring coaches. He was on record as saying so many times. So no matter who we had "rallied" around, it would not have mattered.

Remains to be seen whether the "alumni base" will have Currie's ear more than they did Wellman's, but I wouldn't bet on it.

The "alumni base" had zero influence on Wellman's process for hiring coaches. He was on record as saying so many times. So no matter who we had "rallied" around, it would not have mattered.

Remains to be seen whether the "alumni base" will have Currie's ear more than they did Wellman's, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I think Currie will pay attention to the alumni more than Wellman did. But still expect it will be below 5% of the factors.
Grade 7 source.

Well, Pat Kelsey (and Justin Gray) just punched their ticket to the Big Dance. Nice work Winthrop. Thanks Wellman!

Well, Pat Kelsey (and Justin Gray) just punched their ticket to the Big Dance. Nice work Winthrop. Thanks Wellman!

Hire Kelsey. Two NCAA appearances and 4 conference titles at Winthrop. Great recruiter while at WF (James Johnson, Ish, LD, Travis McKee, Teague). Young and hungry. Ready to take a step up. Very low risk and high ceiling.

ETSU’s fast breaks are beautiful. They play some fun to watch basketball.

If this board influences the decisions of our AD, bzz and DM would both have been fired a few games into their Wake careers.

Hire Kelsey. Two NCAA appearances and 4 conference titles at Winthrop. Great recruiter while at WF (James Johnson, Ish, LD, Travis McKee, Teague). Young and hungry. Ready to take a step up. Very low risk and high ceiling.

I have always been a Pat Kelsey fan and consider him to be the next Skip Prosser and certainly a Skip protégé. Guy can coach basketball, recruit and also teach young men a few things about life - much like Skip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wBpueRK4pQ

In an effort to help Currie out, so far I like Steve Forbes and Craig Smith if the bigger names aren’t interested.

Steve Forbes will require harder interview and more third party vetting before Wake will hire him. The one year show cause banishment will require some serious 'splainin'. Also, whatever he says will need some neutral third party backup. Forbes involvement with the recruiting violations won't play well at Wake unless there are some really good explanations about them.

Steve Forbes will require harder interview and more third party vetting before Wake will hire him. The one year show cause banishment will require some serious 'splainin'. Also, whatever he says will need some neutral third party backup. Forbes involvement with the recruiting violations won't play well at Wake unless there are some really good explanations about them.

I’d imagine Currie will be able to find sources to vet Forbes since he was at Tennessee in the AD for four years while Forbes was on staff.

Back