• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

I have a hard time understanding the thinking where Wes fucking Miller is a better get than Thad Matta or John Beilein.

One of hot names a few years ago was Cuse "Coach in Waiting" Mike Hopkins. I think it can be argued that he had the worst year of any coach in the country. He has two potential Top 20 picks (possibly two lottery picks) in Jaden McDaniels and Isaiah Stewart but came in last place in a weak PAC-12. It's almost incomprehensible how that's possible.

Although I have no information about this, I wouldn't be shocked if we have a new coach within 24-48 of firing Danny.

After today, my list is Beilein, Matta (sounds like he may actually be a possibility, and if he is, he should fall after Beilein), Craig Smith, then Pat Kelsey. I like what Kelsey is doing at Winthrop. What I really like about Kelsey, is he has a personality. We know if we get Kelsey, we won’t have a robot on the sidelines and in the press room. We’ll have somebody who we know wants to win, and will do what it takes to build some energy in the Joel. He’s about as energetic of a coach you can get. I like it, it’ll be a real change of pace after Manning and [Redacted].

After today, my list is Beilein, Matta (sounds like he may actually be a possibility, and if he is, he should fall after Beilein), Craig Smith, then Pat Kelsey. I like what Kelsey is doing at Winthrop. What I really like about Kelsey, is he has a personality. We know if we get Kelsey, we won’t have a robot on the sidelines and in the press room. We’ll have somebody who we know wants to win, and will do what it takes to build some energy in the Joel. He’s about as energetic of a coach you can get. I like it, it’ll be a real change of pace after Manning and [Redacted].

I get what you mean, but I personally don't care just so long as whoever we hire wins. Bob Staak was energetic on the sidelines but that didn't translate to being a good coach. Dave Odom was much more stoic (except for attacking the possession arrow at GT that time) yet he could coach. Skip was definitely both. Wake basketball died on that same awful day that Skip died.

Thad Matta has to be our #1. He's the best combination of name, talent & experience while still having years ahead of him to coach. I would be thrilled to have Beilein but Matta is first in my book.

It’s not positive for Wake but no real new info. Basically just says Manning isn’t negotiating anything, wants full contract amount up front, and if not wants to coach in 20-21. Says he’s heard Wake does not have the capacity to raise enough money to fire him and may have to wait until ACCN payout comes through next year.

I find that incredibly difficult to believe but who knows.

It’s not positive for Wake but no real new info. Basically just says Manning isn’t negotiating anything, wants full contract amount up front, and if not wants to coach in 20-21. Says he’s heard Wake does not have the capacity to raise enough money to fire him and may have to wait until ACCN payout comes through next year.

Sadly, I would find all that quite easy to believe.

Sadly, I would find all that quite easy to believe.

Maybe, I just think Currie would be preparing for this moment since he was hired. Raising money consistently for a year rather than waiting to ask big boosters now.

:noidea:

This contradicts RJ’s tier 1 source (?). I don’t know what to think other than let’s just go ahead and take our annual 1st round ACCT loss and get this shit over with.

This is the most improbable statement out of everything. He hasn't coached in his six years at Wake, why would he start now?

Can you imagine having the fucking cajones to coach another season for a school that desperately wants to fire you? Not to mention the fan base that either hates you or is completely apathetic?

I always relate these things back to my job... I mean, I’d want all of the money I was entitled to, but I’d have a real hard time showing my face in the office everyday.

Me: “Morning everyone!”
Everyone: “Fuck off!”

Somehow, I actually think Manning could do it. He seems like that kind of guy that just wouldn’t give a fuck. Props to him for that... I guess. Probably hard for Currie to call his bluff.

Casey Alexander drew up a BRILLIANT play to help Belmont take down the fighting JA Morant Murray State Racers last night.

I think Alexander makes 800K per year at his dream job, working for his alma mater and he’s only year one into a five year contract.

He made Lipscomb a winner, for god sakes. #coachingmatters

He’s the type of guy we need.

Another piece of the article that was just brought to my attention is that his “sources” are two other ACC coaches. I’m not sure how you can call those sources. That would rank pretty low on the totem poll even by OGBoards standards.

My source has told me for months dont be shocked if Manning is back next next year, but honestly idk what is gonna happen. I really wanna believe Currie is smarter than that but the last 10 years have shown how truly stupid the powers to be at WFU really are.

Back