• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Mannings Last Season?

Manning will get four years minimum which is reasonable. But if there were ever two coaches whose performance over the first two seasons justified possibly deviating from that standard, Bz and Manning are it.

who cares?
worst acc record in 5 or 6 years with no studs coming in period. get use to sucking no matter who our coach is.

The most disturbing thing to me, and the biggest indictment of Manning as a coach, is the rapid decline of this team. It doesn't seem possible that this is the same team that beat some good teams earlier in the season.

Getting a basketball program back on track where you have so many fewer players and where freshman can make a huge difference is a much less monumental task than inheriting a football program that needs complete rebuilding.

Even though the football team has struggled Clawson's first 2 seasons, I've never got the impression that he's lost the team or is in over his head. Can't say that about Manning at this point.
This

I think that as Wake fans, we naturally overrate our players. If the previous coach was as awful a coach and, more importantly, as awful a person as he appeared to be, then why would any decent player want to play for him? They wouldn't. The players Manning inherited aren't capable of playing at the level necessary to compete in the ACC.

Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to know what to do with them nor does he seem to be bringing in any players who are going to be much better.

You have a weird sense of humor.
For thinking it's funny that people actually think Manning could get canned this season? Sure. LOL....thanks for doubling down (or tripling I guess). He's going to get 4 years. Might as well accept it.

When Bz was finishing up year 2 but we all knew he was getting at least 4, that was depressing. We all knew he would never amount to anything. I'm not there with Manning. Disappointment so far, but i'm not past the point where I think he can be a good coach in Year 3-4.

Nobody we've ever heard of will take this job if Manning is fired in year two. But maybe that doesn't matter. The Wake job just isn't attractive with the academic restrictions, small school size, brutal strength of schedule in a power conference, etc.

The college basketball landscape has changed and Wake Forest is moving backwards in a free fall into irrelevancy.

The college basketball landscape has changed and Wake Forest is moving backwards in a free fall into irrelevancy.

Yep. The last ideal time for Wake to look for a coach was when Skip was flirting with Pitt. Mid-majors were still at the kids table and we would have had our pick. The shift had started but we still could have gotten a good coach a year after Skip passed as well.

When Bz was finishing up year 2 but we all knew he was getting at least 4, that was depressing. We all knew he would never amount to anything. I'm not there with Manning. Disappointment so far, but i'm not past the point where I think he can be a good coach in Year 3-4.

Yeah, this seems like a fair assessment. Not to mention there are two sides to every recruiting class - the hype and the production. Duke is sitting a 5 star, top 5 at his position PF this year as they plummet out of the rankings. Nobody can coach without players, and Manning's first class was solid but his 2nd class looks poor on paper. We're about to lose this year's leading scorer and last year's leading scorer, so there's a valid argument to be made that we'll be worse. Then again, just one guy in the upcoming class could outperform his ranking, or Woods could be a lights out shooter, or the Collins/Moore combo down low could come together during the offseason - and we could certainly be better. If we land just a single elite scorer/defender for 2017 we could be very good - and that'll be Manning's 4th (and likely deciding) year.

I think the hard thing to cope with is that what [Redacted] and Wellman killed in the program was our capability to grab a big name coach, load up on recruits, and be competitive in 1 or 2 years. Other teams can do that, I'd argue that Wake had that capability right after Prosser died, but it's been squandered. But even Tony Bennett lost 30+ games in his first 2 years at UVA. Maybe Manning improves, maybe he doesn't. I have much less confidence that he will based on the 2nd half of this season than I did after the LSU game, but being bad instead of OK in year 2 of a rebuild isn't really a catastrophe.

Yep. The last ideal time for Wake to look for a coach was when Skip was flirting with Pitt. Mid-majors were still at the kids table and we would have had our pick. The shift had started but we still could have gotten a good coach a year after Skip passed as well.

I feel like we're talking out of both sides of our mouths. If the Wake Forest job can no longer attract top-tier coaches, then we need to be patient with up-and-coming guys like Manning. 2 years isn't anywhere near enough time to make an assessment. So either the program has lost a lot of its prestige and as a result we need to be more patient with the coaches we can get, or we're still a top tier job and we can demand dramatic improvements immediately. I think it's the former

I feel like we're talking out of both sides of our mouths. If the Wake Forest job can no longer attract top-tier coaches, then we need to be patient with up-and-coming guys like Manning. 2 years isn't anywhere near enough time to make an assessment. So either the program has lost a lot of its prestige and as a result we need to be more patient with the coaches we can get, or we're still a top tier job and we can demand dramatic improvements immediately. I think it's the former

Sadly, this is correct. I claim no inside knowledge, but I'm betting that most coaches and agents did a big ol' WTF?? when Dino was fired and Bz was hired, just like we all did. I think when the Wake job came open again, most of the top coaches and their agents were not so keen on working for Premier Ron. Knowing they had to come in and clean up the incredible mess [Redacted] was leaving behind made it even worse. We have no choice but to be patient with Manning. Wellman doing another abrupt firing would poison the well even further. The only scenario where Manning exits early is if the AD position changes, the new AD comes from outside WFU, and it can be spun as a new guy cleaning house.

John Beilein was the pick if Skip took the Pitt job and most board posters would have lost their collective shit on scout.com for replacing Prosser with the Richmond head coach.

I'm here as well. There was never a doubt that Bz would suck balls. It was just a question of how bad would the dumpster fire be when he left and who would replace him. I feel like there is reason to hope with Manning. The team has played some good halves this year and our friend Kenpom was probably right about luck. The sad realest in me just wants to get back to being a fringe tournament team. We have to take that step and I still think Manning can get us there.

John Beilein was the pick if Skip took the Pitt job and most board posters would have lost their collective shit on scout.com for replacing Prosser with the Richmond head coach.

I'm not saying what Wellman would have done or how anybody would have reacted. I'm saying back then we would have had our pick of good mid-major coaches in a different college hoops climate.

For argument's sake, let's say the program completely tanks next year and Manning is let go. Is there another Power 5 team that would be on its fourth coach in 10 years?

I don't think any of us realize how utterly difficult it is to recruit athletes to wake forest who can get in school, stay in school, and be exceptional on the court or field. No clue.

Back