• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

DC Navy Yard Shootings

Seven dead.

I think I will stay at my girlfriends place in AdMo until they catch the other guy.

NBC too. They feel certain that there was only one shooter.

It will be interesting to see if the other one or two "shooters" were really victims of the real attacker who were illegally carrying on base (and in DC) and who were just trying to defend themselves and others. It seems hard to justify the witness reports of shooters of multiple races otherwise.

Police chief reiterates that they're looking for two additional suspects.

Just heard from a buddy who usually grabs breakfast in that cafeteria around 8 AM but was late getting out the door this morning and wasn't able to get on base. Crazy stuff.

Last edited:
M street completely locked down, and they're not letting anyone near the main gate. My group not on base, is recalling on Andrews Air Force Base.

Federal law enforcement officials say the man accused in a shooting rampage at the Washington Navy Yard that left at least 12 people dead has been identified as Aaron Alexis.

The two officials spoke Monday to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly.

One of those officials says Alexis was a 34-year-old from Texas. He is believed to have a criminal record there and to be a holder of a concealed carry weapon permit.

That official says Alexis is believed to have gotten into the Navy Yard by using someone else's identification card. It is not yet clear if that individual was an accomplice or if that person's ID card was stolen.
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/police-responding-reported-shooter-navy-yard

The dead gunman in Monday’s shooting at the Washington Navy Yard is Aaron Alexis, 34, a native of Brooklyn who lived until recently in Texas, according to law enforcement sources.

Police say it is unclear if Alexis acted alone. Authorities are still searching for another possible suspect: a black man in his 40s with gray sideburns, wearing an olive-drab military-style uniform.
Alexis apparently died at the scene of Monday’s shooting, in which at least 11 other people died. D.C. Mayor Vincent C. Gray said no motive is known.

Alexis lived in Seattle and in Fort Worth, Texas, according to public records. He appears to have served in the Navy, but it is unclear whether he was still on active duty.

Police are investigating whether the identification of former Navy petty officer Rollie Chance was used by Alexis to enter the Navy Yard compound. Federal investigators visited Chance’s home Monday.

A relative of Rollie Chance said in a telephone interview that Chance, from Stafford, Va., was not at the Navy Yard and was neither a witness nor a suspect and asked the media to leave the family alone.

Meanwhile, a relative of Alexis said she hadn’t seen him in several years.

“We haven’t seen him for years,” said Helen Weeks of her nephew in a telephone interview. “I know he was in the military. He served abroad. I think he was doing some kind of computer work.”

Weeks said she was receiving constant media calls Monday afternoon in which reporters asked her if she knew if Alexis had been involved in a shooting in Washington, D.C. She said she had not been contacted by police.

“I’d be shocked if it was him, but I don’t know,” her voice trailing off.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/aaron-alexis-34-is-dead-gunman-in-navy-yard-shooting-authorities-say/2013/09/16/dcf431ce-1f07-11e3-8459-657e0c72fec8_story.html?Post+generic=%3Ftid%3Dsm_twitter_washingtonpost

This is weird.
Scott Friedman @NBCDFWScott

Friends say #AaronAlexis was a practicing Buddhist who helped out around the Buddhist Temple of Ft. Worth. #NavyYardShooting
Scott Friedman @NBCDFWScott

#AaronAlexis former roommate says Alexis had a gun and a CHL but was gentle - not violent.

Well, if there's one thing we've learned over the last year, it's that media outlets always get it right.

If you roll with a concealed carry, I have a hard time believing you are a "gentle" guy.

If you roll with a concealed carry, I have a hard time believing you are a "gentle" guy.

Stereotyping! Likely not applicable here, but, a strong reason a lot of people get a concealed carry permit is to avoid the waiting period in buying firearms. If you like firearms, like to collect them, like to shoot them, etc. you like to be able to buy them when you want to - without background checks or waiting periods - a concealed carry permit allows you to do that.

Having a concealed carry permit doesn't necessarily mean you are a violent gun nut, or that you even want to carry a concealed weapon.

Back