• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Deacon Club Spring tour - Charlotte

Quepo

Reaction score
Went to luncheon today. Nice turnout, much bigger than I was expecting and probably 3-4 times larger than last years event. Of course that was headline by Name Redacted so not a fair comparison. I would guess 250-300 were there. Thought the videos of Manning/Clawson's first days were interesting but were way too long. Good impression of Manning, he has the fire we have been missing. Took a subtle shot at Moto leaving, but followed it up by saying that if you don't want to be with us then we don't want you around. Great story from Claw about how during Mannings first day on campus he spent 20 min speaking to a football recruit.

Real impressed with Claw(no surprise there). He will do a great job here. He did mention that coming out of the spring game he was pleased with defense, but offense left something to be desired. Specifically mentioned depth at RB.

Left during the Premier's speech as I still can't stomach his arrogance. Unfortunately I missed the Q&A...anything interesting happen during that?

More questions for Wellman than I would have expected. Wellman answered questions about out of conference scheduling, about facilities upgrages, and about how long he had his eye on Manning as a coaching candidate (which he turned into a story about the interview process). Manning and Clawson both answered questions about upgrading facilities and about engaging former players and getting them back on campus.

If I understood correctly, Coach Manning said he'd still like to get two more players for next year - either two bigs or a big and a "big wing". It sounded to me like he would not mind both of them being post-grads as he spoke specifically to hoping to get at least one of those. I got a chance to ask him about Leonard's time frame and he said something like, "whenever he makes up his mind; who knows!" Got the impression he might be a bit frustrated with the Campbell guy. Incidentally, I also asked him about Green's progress and he said, "I hope we can get a few minutes out of him next year."

and Quepo is right - great turnout in Charlotte; came away feeling very good about both of our new head coaches.

"a few minutes"

Manning is not that impressed in Green then.

The beef brisket was probably the best of the three meat options.

"a few minutes"

Manning is not that impressed in Green then.

TITSWF and I talked to Manning briefly after the Greensboro event and Manning mentioned that Green was still working on getting "functional strength" back, so it certainly didn't sound like he could suit up in a game if we had one tomorrow.

If I understood correctly, Coach Manning said he'd still like to get two more players for next year - either two bigs or a big and a "big wing". It sounded to me like he would not mind both of them being post-grads as he spoke specifically to hoping to get at least one of those. I got a chance to ask him about Leonard's time frame and he said something like, "whenever he makes up his mind; who knows!" Got the impression he might be a bit frustrated with the Campbell guy. Incidentally, I also asked him about Green's progress and he said, "I hope we can get a few minutes out of him next year."

I think the Campbell guy is scheduled to visit Miami the first week of June and then make a decision after that.

Incidentally, also asked him about McClinton's knee and he indicated he is good to go and participated in all the workouts they were able to have since his arrival.

Will post a comment about the Raleigh event last night. About 75-80 present to hear Wellman and Clawson. Clawson was impressive and spoke to many individually during the pre-meal period. Seems like a real good guy. BBQ, not too good - fried chicken was. Said he would like to follow the red-shirt process that Grobe used and wanted to have 22-23 year old men playing against the other teams younger non-redshirts. He said this years' freshmen would be placed in 3 groups: approx 9-10 will need to play, mostly on offense; a similar group to red-shirt; about 9-10 in a 'hot' position that if someone went down, they would have to setup. Where we have recruited 2 freshmen at one position, one likely to play, 2nd red-shirt. Indicated next years class would likely be 18-19 in size.

He can score...25.6 ppg....28.6% on three and 72.8% in FTs...

28% from deep means he shoots a lot and makes a few.

Here are some of the notes I remember for the lunch today. I'll post more if I remember any, but some have been covered in this thread or another.

Premier
-Manning was the only coach he interviewed in the hiring process
-Clawson has been on his short list for 8-10 years, ever since his days at Richmond
-Colleges are all in an arms race for athletic facilities, but it is no different than general facilities, just look at the new Business school or dorms
-NCAA really going through a transition in determining the future with regards to conferences
-Scheduling is tricky and still working on it as an ACC as a whole, Wellman would like to see no divisions so that people can play everyone
-Need money and butts in seats
-He went after Bilas, seemingly jokingly, but slight uncomfortable considering he was there and had donated a raffle item

Manning
-Really enjoyed hearing him
-Still looking for two bigs or a big and a wing
-Postgrads are preferred only because they can step on the court and contribute, but if we find a freshman that fits the bill, we won't hesitate to pull the trigger
-On Moto and Mitchell, if you're not ready to compete and play, we don't want you here
-Lots of praise for Chill and his assistants he brought
-Rondale, from what he's seen, is athletic
-Wilbekin has good pedigree and good vision
-Would like to get the former players more involved
-Thinks is S&C guy is creative and good

Clawson
-Team won't be good, we really need a TB
-Defense is progressing, offense needs work, hence holding tryouts in the atrium today
-Deacon Time is a time in which players show up for class 10 mins early, sit in the front two rows, and don't wear hats
-Lots of praise for Grobe as not a single player in ineligible going into summer school
-Both basketball and football will be attending both sessions
-Selling Wake as being able to play at top level football while also top academics, which less than 5% of schools can claim that
-Mentioned the LB out of Arkansas (I think) who had an offer from Ark and Harvard, Yale, Princeton acceptances but chose Wake, that kind of guy is our sweet spot
-Red shirting is key but we won't cheat the system to make success happen early
-Need a good bball program to help with recruiting since they take recruits to big games, and vice versa
-Spring game they invited former players back, 250 showed and they had a big banquet the night before, Clabo and a few other SB champs spoke, but Clawson also wanted to point out to the players that there were doctors, lawyers, CEOs there that had made it in the business world as well due to the great education they received

Back