• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Deacon Club Spring tour - Charlotte

He really said that?

Those exact words? No. I'm not sure anyone could come away taking his words any other way though. I think his direct quote was, "The good news is the defense has progressed. The offense? Well. Let's just say if anyone has any eligibility left in this room we will be hosting tryouts after. I'm really hoping one of you can play tailback."

Here are some of the notes I remember for the lunch today. I'll post more if I remember any, but some have been covered in this thread or another.

Premier
-Manning was the only coach he interviewed in the hiring process
And this is why Wellman has to go. Either he thinks we are dumb, or he is incredibly lazy.

And this is why Wellman has to go. Either he thinks we are dumb, or he is incredibly lazy.

To add, which I thought was odd, after Manning had accepted (or was in the process), Wellman didn't come to WS to greet him. Instead, he called Clawson and asked Clawson and his wife to take the Mannings out and sell the deal. Clawson said it was perhaps his greatest pressure recruitment yet.

wellman must have been too busy doing his ncaa duties to care about doing his wake duties

wellman out

We did use a search firm who may have screened others. Shaka probably didn't get to the interview stage.

I attended the W-S event.

Manning was asked about his plans to improving rebounding.

RATHER than some two-minute horseshit answer about getting players motivated to rebound or whatever [name redacted] would have said, Manning replies, "you go get the damn ball. That's how you rebound." And that was that.

Next question.

Clawson said we legitimately had ONE tailback when he arrived. A Division I team typically carries 5-7. And, I'm too lazy to type the reasons, but based upon his comments tonight, I really feel he plans to start one of the new QBs. Both will be here in June and working with Clawson throughout the summer (according to Clawson).

Last edited:
There were a lot of folks there, should have organized a board meet up...

I was personally somewhat underwhelmed by Manning but I did like hearing from him and Clawson personally. Nothing earth shattering and the other write ups have covered pretty much everything.

Pretty much everything Clawson has said so far -- and how poor the current QBs were in the spring game -- is pointing pretty heavily to one of the newbies starting, IMO

To add, which I thought was odd, after Manning had accepted (or was in the process), Wellman didn't come to WS to greet him. Instead, he called Clawson and asked Clawson and his wife to take the Mannings out and sell the deal. Clawson said it was perhaps his greatest pressure recruitment yet.

That was exactly what he said, heaven forbid the premier actually do the job he is being paid handsomely to do

Clawson did say he was pleasantly surprised by what we had on defense. Said the offense needed a lot of work.

I love Clawson's sarcastic/blunt/asshole side. It doesn't come out a lot, and he's generally so nice and well-spoken you can miss it. But it's definitely there.

I was at the Winston event last night too.

During the Q&A, the first question asked was from Braces, about when the women's football clinic would be this year. Clawson pulled out his phone, scrolled to his schedule and said it would be (I believe) July 24. The next question was about starting QB and Clawson said "again, the women's clinic is July 24," to a fair bit of laughter.

Manning also said he would be holding a women's Basketball 101 event sometime in the fall, similar to the established football clinic, and that it was something he'd been doing before. Found some info on it here http://www.coachdmanning.com/basketball-101-october-19-2013/

Back