• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Deacs in the NBA thread: 04/01 Tim Duncan moves 19th NBA all time scoring list!

DeaconOEF/OIFvet

Reaction score
The past couple of weeks we have started to see a greater amount of sports coverage concerning former Deacs in the NBA. So, I thought it might be a good idea to look into starting an NBA thread concerning some of our former Deacs. I'll start this thing off today and would appreciate any thoughts comments and additional info from anyone else.

From last night:

Aminu helps Pelicans best the Blazers

X factor: On a team with scoring options all over the court, Al-Farouq Aminu rarely gets credit for all the things he does. But the Pelicans don't win tonight without him. His 13 defensive rebounds were huge and they often got the Pelicans out on the break.

A. Aminu: 9 pts 15 rbs 2 stl 1 blk

http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400489329

Last edited:
The past couple of weeks we have started to see a greater amount of sports coverage concerning former Deacs in the NBA. So, I thought it might be a good idea to look into starting an NBA thread concerning some of our former Deacs. I'll start this thing off today and would appreciate any thoughts comments and additional info from anyone else.

From last night:

Aminu helps Pelicans best the Blazers

X factor: On a team with scoring options all over the court, Al-Farouq Aminu rarely gets credit for all the things he does. But the Pelicans don't win tonight without him. His 13 defensive rebounds were huge and they often got the Pelicans out on the break.

A. Aminu: 9 pts 15 rbs 2 stl 1 blk

http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400489332

He may never be a scorer at this level but I have noticed his PPG go up a little and has been a rebounding machine. Always a need for a banger.

I think having Anthony Davis as a teammate definitely allows him more opportunities in the paint.

He was one of the best garbage rebounders I've ever seen. Such a huge skill to have at that level.

I've only followed Wake since 2008, but Farouq has been my favorite player over that stretch and I also think he was the most under appreciated player during that stretch.

Also from Last night:

Suns rout Clippers

Clippers PG Chris Paul was held to only 11 pts and 7 ast, while Suns SG Goran Dragic scored 26 pts in a rout of the Clippers. Back up Suns PG Ish Smith Came off the bench for 2 pts 2 ast 1 stl.

Ish Smith: 2 pts 3 rbs 2 ast 1 stl
Chris Paul: 11 pts 4 rbs 7 ast 2 stl

http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400489332

CP3 further elaborated on the loss, calling it one of the worst losses he's endured as a Clipper:

Chris Paul: Loss 'one of the worst'

LOS ANGELES -- The Los Angeles Clippers transformed themselves from laughingstock to championship contender a little more than two years ago when they traded for Chris Paul, but Monday's 107-88 loss to the Phoenix Suns might have been the team's worst since acquiring the All-Star point guard.

"This is a tough one for us," Paul said after the game. "It might have been one of the worst ones since I've been here."

The Clippers fell behind 11-1 to start the game, and trailed by 21 points in the second quarter and 29 points in the third quarter. It was such a thorough defeat that the Clippers were booed at halftime and at the end of the game for the first time this season.

"They beat us in everything," Paul said. "We can't say that we beat them in anything, and that doesn't happen too many nights in the NBA. This was just an old-fashioned butt whuppin' and they did it from beginning to end and we got to move on."

Clippers coach Doc Rivers has grown tired of talking about the Clippers' inability to get motivated for games as if he's talking about a championship team going through the motions during the regular season.

As he walked into his postgame news conference, he said, "You guys are still here? I would have left at halftime. I tried to but they wouldn't throw me out."

"We've done nothing," Rivers said. "That's the point I've been making all year. They don't give a trophy after 25 or 30 games. We've done nothing. Did we win, did we go to the Finals last year? Did I miss something?"

Blake Griffin was equally disappointed in the outcome, saying, "It's a really embarrassing effort by us -- offensively, defensively, really every category of the game. We didn't do the thing we talked about coming into the game, and it starts with me. I need to do a better job from the beginning. We got to set the tone and we didn't do that tonight, and they walked all over us."

As bad as the loss and the Clippers' performance were, Rivers didn't want to make more of it than what it was. He said he didn't think the loss was as bad as the back-to-back close losses to the Golden State Warriors and Portland Trail Blazers last week.

"It's not the worst loss," Rivers said. "Portland and Golden State were the worst losses. This is the worst we've played."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...paul-says-los-angeles-clippers-loss-one-worst

Last edited:
James Johnson continues to fit in nicely with the Grizzlies system (although, he still has consistent foul trouble):

Bulls beat Grizzlies

Butler scored 14 of his season-high 26 points in the third quarter and Carlos Boozer added 21 points and 10 rebounds to help Chicago defeat the Memphis Grizzlies 95-91 on Monday night.

Mike Conley finished with 26 points, nine assists, six rebounds and six steals to lead the Grizzlies, who had won three of four. James Johnson scored 13 points, all in the second half, and grabbed 10 rebounds before fouling out with 4:10 left.

James Johnson: 13 pts 10 rbs 3 ast 2 stl 1 blk

http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=400489327

Last edited:
He was one of the best garbage rebounders I've ever seen. Such a huge skill to have at that level.

He's an especially great rebounder at the NBA level because of his rebounding rate relative to the position he plays/defends. Having a guy on the floor who can guard 3's and 4's and grab that many boards is a real #asset, although it's overlooked by most people.

Every once in a while you'll hear GMs say they like a certain 1 or 2 guard because of their rebounding ability. That seems odd at first, but if you have enough good rebounding 1s, 2s, and 3s, you're looking at an extra 1-2 offensive boards and 2-3 defensive boards. In NBA terms, you get more possessions than the other team.

I said it on the NBA thread but Johnson has always been damn close to elite for his position in steals, blocks, and assists. Unfortunately this has always come with a lot of turnovers and fouls. He'll probably never be a 30 minute guy but he can give you a very productive 20. You'll never see him put up a trillion. Dude is getting in the box score.

I said it on the NBA thread but Johnson has always been damn close to elite for his position in steals, blocks, and assists. Unfortunately this has always come with a lot of turnovers and fouls. He'll probably never be a 30 minute guy but he can give you a very productive 20. You'll never see him put up a trillion. Dude is getting in the box score.

Solid numbers every night. Grizzlies seem to be a good fit for him, but I could see him chipping in similar numbers to a Pacers or Spurs type team.

I got aced out on picking him up for the fantasy league by about 10 minutes.

Solid numbers every night. Grizzlies seem to be a good fit for him, but I could see him chipping in similar numbers to a Pacers or Spurs type team.

That seems unlikely since he'd have less opportunity at both places, and Johnson's offensive game certainly doesn't fit into the sets the Spurs usually run.

That seems unlikely since he'd have less opportunity at both places, and Johnson's offensive game certainly doesn't fit into the sets the Spurs usually run.

Definitely wouldn't contribute these numbers on a consistent basis, but I could see him filling in a solid role player position. The Spurs don't just have an A team (Big 3). They have a B and C team (Green, Bellinelli, Leonard, Splitter, Diaw) all capable of putting up solid numbers on any given night. I think JJ might have the ability to fill in this roster in a similar fashion.

I wouldn't say Leonard is part of the Big 3, but he's definitely part of the A team.

I feel like I've become even bigger followers of our nba guys because of bzzz/ the impotence of our program.

From tonight, another solid performance from Jeff Teague:

Hawks edge Celtics

Millsap had season highs with 34 points and 15 rebounds as the Hawks rallied from an 18-point deficit for a 92-91 win over the Boston Celtics on Tuesday afternoon.

Jeff Teague scored 16 points and Kyle Korver added 14 for Atlanta.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=400489333

Jeff Teague: 16 pts 6 rbs 5 ast

Back