• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dean Smith has died

B9Wk21oCUAAKDPV.jpg

From a PackPride mod:

same warning as the other boards got

you can think what you want, you can tell your friends, etc. but

negative posts will be deleted and posters will be banned.

not open to discussion

And to think I got banned over there for saying UNC was justified for all the attention they gave Eve Carson.

No one ever got my father as agitated and angry as Dean Smith, but my dad respected the man and his coaching. He always said to beat a Dean Smith coached team, your players had to play their best game and your coach better be a damn good chess player, because he would outwit you 9 times out of 10.

He left a great impression on the game and on hundreds of young men. Rest easy, Mean Dean.

A coward he ran, 4 corners and also knew about the academic fraud toward the end of his career. Truth.

Being a Wake fan, I never liked him, but I sure always respected him and his coaching ability. I didn't like hearing about his declining health in recent years, and today I am sad to hear off his death. RIP Coach Smith, you are no longer in pain and will always be one of the all-time great basketball coaches.

Agree with deaclite.

A coward he ran, 4 corners and also knew about the academic fraud toward the end of his career. Truth.

Still, shaddup. ACC basketball wouldn't be what it became in the 70s and 80s heyday if not for Dean. Truth.

I would have respected him more if he had ever offered the slightest hint of an acknowledgment of the crime associated with the scoreboard play. But he never did....

I never hated Dean like I hate Coach K. You had to respect him because he was a brilliant tactician and ran a clean program. The scoreboard call was a farce but the ACC wasn't going to let WFU beat UNC 2 straight years in the first round of the ACCT. Schellenberg and Skip got their revenge in the Big Four tournament and in Chapel Hill in January, 1977. As Schelly stood on the foul line he uttered " these are for you Dean". Carl Tacy beat Dean more than any other ACC coach on a percentage basis . RIP Dean. You were a great coach , an innovator, and it was a major accomplishment to beat you .

Being a Wake fan, I never liked him, but I sure always respected him and his coaching ability. I didn't like hearing about his declining health in recent years, and today I am sad to hear off his death. RIP Coach Smith, you are no longer in pain and will always be one of the all-time great basketball coaches.

Agree with deaclite.
Agree. Well put

What he meant to the state of North Carolina off the court is hard to quantify - there's no win/loss record for walking into The Pines in 1964 with a black student to make a stand for desegregation, or for buying Howard Lee a house to integrate white only neighborhoods. Or for standing up against the Vietnam War or for gay rights. But I guarantee if you could put a record his life off the court, it'd be better than his one on it.

An iconic man, and one whose voice of reason and respect will be sorely missed by the entire state.

I only know him for what he did as coach of the goats, primarily against Wake.

At this point, I will invoke my mother's prime directive.

I am not going to bash the man on the event of his passing but the worshiping of his coaching skills are a little overblown. Sure, he made an imprint on the game of basketball and he did some great things for the advancement of society off the court. However, no one ever did less with more than Dean Smith. The 83-84 team had Michael Jordon, Sam Perkins, Brad Daugherty and Kenny Smith (along with 6 other players drafted into the NBA) and didn't even make it to the Final Eight. Just one example but with the talent he coached it is almost imposable to only win two National Championships. Again, great man that did some great things off the court and he should be remembered for those.

I have a feeling theres not many 35+ year old guys on this board. Prayers are with his family, but he was such whining poor loser, and if we ever really knew all of the crooked things he did it would probably blow our minds. Like a poster said all that is going on now at that piss hole is in a big part because of Dean Smith. If you don't believe that then your really kidding yourself.

Back