• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Democratic Candidates for POTUS, 2016 edition

If a white person mentions "CP Time" to me, it's a test to gauge my reaction and see if I'm down for some racist humor.

Did you watch the video? The Hamilton actor objected to his use of the term, which led to Hillary delivering the "cautious politician" punchline. The implication was that it would not have been OK for him to use the term otherwise.

Yes, I watched and get that it was delivered in a special context of the skit - my question really related to your last point, namely the extent to which it is appropriate/acceptable to use this as non-offensive humor in a particular setting. I tend to agree BSF4L here though. And also with ChrisL, I just can't imagine this being thought of as a good idea, even if meant as tongue-in-cheek humor...

I think it's more a case of the DC establishment protecting one of their own. Bernie's the liberal in this race.
This. Although the most "liberal" people I have met - young urban militant afro-feminists (like the girl who harrassed the guy with dreads) are staunch Hillary supporters.

Imagine if one of the other candidates had done something this blatantly racist- what would the reaction have been? The knives would have been out if Trump or Bernie had done this. But because it's Clinton it gets almost no coverage, no big deal. Think about week after week of the shit Trump has been hammered on- I think this is much more of a scandal. But nothing. I don't know how any fair-minded person can deny there appears to be a bias for Hillary. The upper ranks of the press tend to be made up of establishment types and they see Hillary as one of them- she's the "serious" candidate. It of course doesn't mean she's immune to negative coverage, they have to maintain the appearance of balance after all, or that everyone in the media supports her.

Get your head out of your ass -- scandal?

Trump has the racist birther shit, refused to condemn the white supremacists endorsing him, condones/encourages beatings of minority protesters at his rallies, called Mexicans "rapists", says "the blacks", "the Hispanics", has purportedly said "laziness is a trait in blacks" . Puts his money where his mouth is as well -- wants to ban Muslims from entering the country, build a big wall you may have heard of to keep those Mexican rapists out.

Hillary participates in a skit written by someone else where she does not say the obviously stupid and racist thing, and it's much worse than Trump. Time to sit back and rethink things.

[checks back into thread to see if Dems still defending...:rolleyes:....checks back out of thread]

Trump has the racist birther shit, refused to condemn the white supremacists endorsing him, condones/encourages beatings of minority protesters at his rallies, called Mexicans "rapists", says "the blacks", "the Hispanics", has purportedly said "laziness is a trait in blacks" . Puts his money where his mouth is as well -- wants to ban Muslims from entering the country, build a big wall you may have heard of to keep those Mexican rapists out.

Hillary participates in a skit written by someone else where she does not say the obviously stupid and racist thing, and it's much worse than Trump. Time to sit back and rethink things.

You clearly don't understand.

lost at sea

Clinton and Goldman: Why It Matters

On the stump, Clinton’s criticisms of Wall Street can sound as radical as Bernie Sanders’s or Senator Elizabeth Warren’s. During a CNN debate with Bernie Sanders in March, Clinton said that she was in agreement that, “no bank is too big to fail, and no executive too powerful to jail” and that she has “the tools” to do it. In its earlier endorsement of Clinton in January, The New York Times itself highlighted her “proposals for financial reform” and her support for “controls on high-frequency trading and stronger curbs on bank speculation in derivatives,” which it cited as evidence that “she supports changes that the country badly needs.”

Yet Clinton’s repeated dealings with Goldman Sachs and its top executives since the financial crisis—including the 2013 speeches and more recent events involving the Clinton Foundation—run counter to such claims. To understand the significance of these dealings we have to bring together two strands of history. One concerns Bill and Hillary Clinton’s long-running connections to Goldman, among their closest with any US corporation. The second concerns Goldman’s activities leading up to and during the Wall Street crash of 2007–2008, including its deceptive marketing of contaminated mortgage derivatives.

The Clintons’ connections to Goldman Sachs can be traced back to their beginnings in national politics, in December 1991, when Robert Rubin, then co-chair co-senior partner of the bank, met Bill Clinton at a Manhattan dinner party and was so impressed by him that he signed on as an economic adviser to Clinton’s campaign for the 1992 Democratic nomination. According to a November 2015 survey of Clinton donors by The Washington Post, Rubin and other Goldman partners “mobilized their networks to raise money for the upstart candidate.”

As Bill Clinton’s secretary of the treasury from January 1995 until July 1999, Rubin was an architect of the financial deregulation that left financial derivatives such as Collateralized Debt Obligations (CDOs) largely free of controls. This paved the way for the large-scale, unregulated speculation in financial derivatives by Wall Street banks beginning in the early 2000s. (Goldman itself continued to enjoy special access to Washington during the George W. Bush administration, with former Goldman chief executive Hank Paulson serving as Treasury Secretary from 2006 to 2009.)

These long-running ties with Goldman have paid off for the Clintons. According to a July 2014 analysis in the Wall Street Journal, from 1992 to the present Goldman has been the Clintons’ number one Wall Street contributor, based on speaking fees, charitable donations, and campaign contributions, the three pillars of what I’ve called the Clinton System. As early as 2000, Goldman was the second most generous funder—after Citigroup—of Hillary Clinton’s 2000 Senate campaign, with a contribution of $711,000. In the early 2000s, Bill Clinton was also a Goldman beneficiary, receiving $650,000 from Goldman for four speeches delivered between December 2004 and June 2005. (The transcripts of these speeches do not appear to be currently available.)

How have the Clintons responded to these revelations about Goldman Sachs, and their legal repercussions for the bank? Since we do not have the transcripts of Clinton’s 2013 speeches, it is impossible fully to answer this question. But we do know that Clinton received $675,000 from the bank for the speeches and all indications are that the Clinton-Goldman connections continued much as they had before the crash. Eyewitness accounts of Hillary Clinton’s 2013 Goldman speeches give some idea of their tone. One Goldman executive told Politico in early February that Clinton sounded “like a Goldman Sachs managing director,” while a report in The Wall Street Journal on February 11 quoted another unnamed source who said Clinton’s greetings toward her Goldman audiences “bordered on ‘gushy.’” These accounts are suggestive but no more than that.

A third indication of Hillary Clinton’s recent approach to Goldman executives, however, is more substantial. This is a speech Hillary Clinton gave to Goldman executives, including CEO Lloyd Blankfein, on September 23, 2014, that is available on YouTube. It took place during the annual meeting of the Clinton Global Initiative (CGI) in New York, of which Goldman has been a leading sponsor. In her comments, Clinton held up Goldman as an outstanding corporate citizen that was supporting a CGI initiative to promote the role of women in the global workforce: “It is really exciting for me to be here and to look around this room and see so many people who are committed to this mission that we share, certainly from the business world led by Goldman Sachs.”

Nor are these the only indications of the Clintons’ continued close ties to Goldman. After the $650,000 he received from Goldman in 2004–2005 Bill Clinton received another $600,000 from the bank between 2006 and 2014, including $200,000 in 2011 at a time when the bank was lobbying Hillary Clinton’s State Department for changes in the Budget Control Act. The final bill included the reauthorization of the Export-Import Bank, which helped finance a company in which Goldman was a part-owner. In 2011 the Clinton Foundation decided to leave its Harlem offices on West 125th Street in Manhattan, and moved downtown to a Goldman building on Water Street. Three years later, in May 2014, when the Clintons convened their leading donors to discuss the foundation’s future plans, they chose Goldman’s corporate headquarters in Lower Manhattan as the venue. In her current campaign for president, Hillary Clinton has hired Gary Gensler, a former Goldman banker and former chairman of the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, as her chief financial officer.

Finally, at the time of publication of this article, I have yet to discover any comment by Hillary Clinton on the $5 billion fine against Goldman Sachs announced in January, with the details finalized this week. In the words of Stuart F. Delery, the acting associate attorney general, “This resolution holds Goldman Sachs accountable for its serious misconduct in falsely assuring investors that securities it sold were backed by sound mortgages, when it knew that they were full of mortgages that were likely to fail.”

As the primary season reaches the crucial contests in the northeast and in California that will likely decide the ultimate victor, the dual history linking Goldman and the Clintons poses two questions that still need to be answered. First, should Lloyd Blankfein remain CEO of Goldman Sachs in view of the bank’s central involvement in the deceptive marketing of securities during the crash? Second, should he, and Goldman, remain the valued associates of Hillary Clinton, with both Clintons receiving inflated speaking fees from Goldman, and with Hillary Clinton performing what amounts to a high-end public relations effort for the bank, even as she styles herself as a reformer of the financial industry? As long as Clinton refuses to reveal the content of her Goldman speeches, the suspicion will remain that she has cast a blind eye on Goldman’s dark years and that her campaign pledge to “rein in Wall Street” cannot be taken seriously.

No doubt. But Bernie is a total out of touch shit head.

I think you're the only person I know of that has a strong dislike of Sanders. Not agreeing with him, yeah, plenty, but not liking him is a new one.

I think you're the only person I know of that has a strong dislike of Sanders. Not agreeing with him, yeah, plenty, but not liking him is a new one.

Maybe not on these Boards but many in my Circle feel the same way. He is a pontificating, condescending, barely somebody, who will shortly go back in the hole whence he came from. And if he pointed that finger at me (come on, is there anything more annoying?) I would shove it right back at him.

Last edited:
Hillary got smoked on the Goldman Sachs speech transcripts. She must have sucked some serious ass in those speeches. Horrible candidate.

Maybe not on these Boards but many in my Circle feel the same way. He is a pontificating, condescending, barely somebody, who will shortly go back in the hole whence he came from. And if he pointed that finger at me (come on, is there anything more annoying?) I would shove it right back at him.

Tell me to fuck off if you want, but what is (was?) your occupation?

Tell me to fuck off if you want, but what is (was?) your occupation?

Ha; np, but do tell me why??

1. School Teacher (4)
2. Book Sales (6)
2. Corporate Recruiter (5)
3. Div. Mgr for Chemical Co.(7)
4. General Manager for a Consulting Firm (Last 16 years)

(Oh my Dad was a salesman, my Mom a stay home Mom and Grandfather's a tailor and a bus driver.)

I've really begun disliking Sanders over the last month or 2, but it's a lot more because of his followers than him personally. I've also gotten to the point where I'm pretty much hating everyone running, except Gary Johnson. I don't hate Kasich quite as much as the others, but I couldn't vote for him because of his social conservatism.

Ha; np, but do tell me why??

1. School Teacher (4)
2. Book Sales (6)
2. Corporate Recruiter (5)
3. Div. Mgr for Chemical Co.(7)
4. General Manager for a Consulting Firm (Last 16 years)

(Oh my Dad was a salesman, my Mom a stay home Mom and Grandfather's a tailor and a bus driver.)

Well, this explains the Bernie hate. He just doesn't suit you.

Back