• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Deutsche Bank Championship: Webb Simpson Wins in Playoff!!!11!!!1

He's not even close. He is only slow when in contention. Guys like JB Holmes, Sean O'Hair, Ben Crane and Tiger are slow all the time.

I've never had a problem with guys in contention playing slow as long as they keep pace with the group in front of them. They are playing for an insane amount of money. It's when groups fall behind a hole or 2 that I think there is a problem.

I'll give you Crane and maybe O'Hair. But who is this Tiger guy of whom you speak?:)

I'll give you Crane and maybe O'Hair. But who is this Tiger guy of whom you speak?:)

The player who has done more to hurt pace of play (due to his visibility) than all the other players combined.

Bill needs a big showing at the BMW to make the President's Cup team by standings. I guess he has a shot at Captain's Pick. Would be great to get the young guys out there. Pick him, Freddy!

I don't think Bill stands a chance as a captain's pick as long as Keegan Bradley still hasn't qualified for the team. Even without considering Bradley, Bill would be up against a very hot Brandt Snedeker who has a win to his credit this year. For Bill, it should be pretty clear that he needs to get onto the team on points.

Yeah, I think Bradley(#20), Snedeker (#11) and even Fowler (#14) are more likely picks than Haas (#12) right now. A good week could put him there though, as he is not too far behind Mahan, Furyk and Toms (8-10).

Fowler better not be picked ahead of Haas.

Here is an article on Bill's comments about the President's Cup. Elling probably caught him at a bad time after a poor week. Unfortunately for Bill, his dad is probably extra sensitive to this issue, which means that there is no chance he gets picked if he finishes 11th, regardless of the merits. That is probably fair in the grand scheme of things due to Bradley's year, but Bill has had some close almosts before (31st in FedEx last year) that would be understandably frustrating. He needs a strong finish next week to earn his way onto the team. His ball-striking has been bar-none but his putting has been weak.

http://steveelling.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6267041/31749498

Haas facing delicate PrezCup predicament?

NORTON, Mass. -- Maybe it was the disappointing round he'd just completed, bad timing with the questioning, or the implication that his position is tenuous as it relates to a certain global competition later this fall.

When Bill Haas was asked about his presumably delicate Presidents Cup predicament after the final round at the Deutsche Bank Championship on Monday, the typically low-key veteran wasn't exactly in an agreeable mood.

With the points about to be readjusted after play at TPC Boston finished, Haas ranked 10th in points on the U.S. list, the last spot where he is assured of cementing a position on the 12-man team. Players just behind him on the list were in the mix for a victory, including Jim Furyk, Brandt Snedeker and Rickie Fowler.

Haas had just signed for a 2-over 73 when he was asked whether making the team as a captain's pick might be dicey, given that his father, Jay Haas, is the assistant captain of the U.S. team. Captain Fred Couples already was excoriated in some circles for using one of his two at-large picks on Tiger Woods, who hasn’t won in two years and was considered a huge reach in the eyes of many.

"I would think it would make it easier for them to pick me because I think my dad wants me to be on the team," Haas said, who grumbled at the logic of the question.

Where to begin? Pretty clearly, picking Haas, if it comes to that, would leave the door open for charges of nepotism. Haas was offended by the suggestion that it would be secoind-guessed, because it implied that he doesn’t warrant being considered.

"They're ignorant," he said. "Then they haven’t been paying attention. To hell with them ... It would be a fair pick if they picked me."

Terse tone aside, that's all true. He had two victories in 2010 and has lost in two playoffs this year, the two-year period in which the points list is derived. But it's a bit more complicated than that, isn’t it?

Apparently, the delicacy of his situation hasn’t been broached in the House of Haas. Maybe it should be.

With Couples having already burned a controversial selection on Woods, those who are outside the U.S. automatic top 10 as the final round in Boston was concluding included two-time 2011 winner Keegan Bradley, Furyk, who is the reigning PGA Tour Player of the Year, former Ryder Cupper Fowler and Gary Woodland, who won earlier this year and is a power player in the Couples mold. Bradley is the lone American to have won a major this year.

As his post-round mood gradually brightened, Haas specifically mentioned several of those players as being equally deserving, then came full circle to the original notion that was posed -- finishing in the top 10 in points would make it a lot less complicated. Haas is assured a spot in the third FedEx event in two weeks in Chicago.

"You know, if I play well next week, it takes care of everything," he said.

Chicago marks the final week that players on either the U.S. or International squads can move into, or out of, the automatic top 10.

Couples really doesnt care what people think, so I wouldnt be surprised for him to pick Bill. Couples is very very close to that entire family.

can't you see it happening though?

Certainly. I'm still baffled how he got picked last year. From what I've heard the other players were asked to pick between Fowler and JB Holmes and chose Fowler.

Agree 100%. He could turn into a star but he has struggled mightily when in contention this year. Haas has had a better year.

Yeah, 107th in final round scoring average.

Don't blame Haas for his reaction to that question. Would love if he could make the team via points. Specifically want him to jump Toms.

Certainly. I'm still baffled how he got picked last year. From what I've heard the other players were asked to pick between Fowler and JB Holmes and chose Fowler.

Yeah, now he's a more acceptable pick, because he is no longer a rookie and he has Ryder Cup experience. However, he was 0-1-2 in Ryder Cup (despite the great singles comeback) and has yet to win on Tour.

Personally, hope Haas & Snedeker qualify on points. Say that happened and they jumped Furyk & Toms. Who does Couples pick between Furyk, Toms, Bradley, Fowler?

In my eyes it should be Bradley under every conceivable scenario you can think of. He's the only American to win a major in the last 2 years, has 2 wins this year.

In my eyes it should be Bradley under every conceivable scenario you can think of. He's the only American to win a major in the last 2 years, has 2 wins this year.

Agreed. The only reason he wont make it on points is bc he's only had 1 year to accumulate them.

Agreed. The only reason he wont make it on points is bc he's only had 1 year to accumulate them.

Yep. At a time when Americans have been struggling to win majors, I don't see how you can leave the most recent major winner off the roster.

This is why I was puzzled at Couples' gifting Tiger a spot so early in the process. He's pretty much boxed in on picks now. The other way to look at it is that the players on the bubble have to know they need to make it on points since they likely aren't really playing for a captain's pick anyway.

Hard to bet against Furyk keeping his slot on the team. He's tough as nails when the pressure is on.

I'd be really happy if Haas and Snedeker both top 5 it next week and get on the team.

Yeah, now he's a more acceptable pick, because he is no longer a rookie and he has Ryder Cup experience. However, he was 0-1-2 in Ryder Cup (despite the great singles comeback) and has yet to win on Tour.

Personally, hope Haas & Snedeker qualify on points. Say that happened and they jumped Furyk & Toms. Who does Couples pick between Furyk, Toms, Bradley, Fowler?

Furyk and then Bradley of that group.

He's not even close. He is only slow when in contention. Guys like JB Holmes, Sean O'Hair, Ben Crane and Tiger are slow all the time.

I've never had a problem with guys in contention playing slow as long as they keep pace with the group in front of them. They are playing for an insane amount of money. It's when groups fall behind a hole or 2 that I think there is a problem.

That is a valid distinction and I suspect that the PGA views it similarly.

That is a valid distinction and I suspect that the PGA views it similarly.

Yep. When was the last time you saw someone in the final group even put on the clock for slow play?

Back