• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"Dino Gotta-go"

RicoSuave

Reaction score
I'd like to see a show of hands of those who were on the "Dino Gotta-go" bandwagon a few years ago. On the Scout Board, there was a very vocal group of fans who were absolutely insistent that Dino be canned. We were ranked #1 in the country under Dino at one point and made a few trips to the NCAA tournament under him, but as the Gotta-go crowd pointed out, Dino had a "deer in the headlights" look on his face during gametime, unlike the youthful dynamic Brad Stevens. At times, the hatred directed toward Dino rivaled the hatred we now have toward Bzzz, except that the Strattons didn't sieze the opportunity for fame and fortune until Bzzz came along. I tried to defend Dino at times, but the Gotta-go crowd was having none of it.

Will anybody here admit to being Dino Gotta-Go back in the day?

For the last goddamn damn the Dino firing was a step forward and the Bz hiring was 10,000 steps back. Please learn to separate these actions.

I was not on the 'Dino gotta go' team, but I did buy 6 ACCT ticket books and got to watch that debacle vs Miami up close. I was surprised he got canned, especially the timing, but I wasn't upset about it either.

Boogity must have been absent from school/life the day the theory of mutual exclusivity was introduced.

For the last goddamn damn the Dino firing was a step forward and the Bz hiring was 10,000 steps back. Please learn to separate these actions.

Oh really? How many times have we been ranked #1 in the nation since Dino was fired? How many NCAA tournament wins have we had since then?

Oh really? How many times have we been ranked #1 in the nation since Dino was fired? How many NCAA tournament wins have we had since then?

Damn, you're right man. Good point. Since we've had so many coaches other than [Redacted] to distinguish between the Dino firing and the [Redacted] hiring.

Really solid work my man. Great logic.

Exactly. I was so pissed after Cleveland State. Dino wasn't the guy long term. Great, gutsy call to move on to another coach. Followed by the biggest face palm all-time worst coaching hire in NCAA history.

I was.....bc Wellman was right on a trend that was discouraging. Dino had the talent but failed at penetrating a "church league" zone and somehow lost his team at the end of the seasons.
For the record, if I knew who would replace him I would have taken back my comments. (Buzz knows x and o's but has no connection with the team/Dino struggled at x's and o's but could connect mostly with his players)

Last edited:
I'd like to see a show of hands of those who were on the "Dino Gotta-go" bandwagon a few years ago. On the Scout Board, there was a very vocal group of fans who were absolutely insistent that Dino be canned. We were ranked #1 in the country under Dino at one point and made a few trips to the NCAA tournament under him, but as the Gotta-go crowd pointed out, Dino had a "deer in the headlights" look on his face during gametime, unlike the youthful dynamic Brad Stevens. At times, the hatred directed toward Dino rivaled the hatred we now have toward Bzzz, except that the Strattons didn't sieze the opportunity for fame and fortune until Bzzz came along. I tried to defend Dino at times, but the Gotta-go crowd was having none of it.

I was. Firing Dino didn't mean hiring [Redacted]. At the time, I had no reason to think Wellman would screw up the hire. Up until that point, he had done a great job at finding head coaches. Frankly, [Redacted] is really the biggest outlier with that aspect of Wellman's career.

How many interviews or sniffs of another coaching job has Dino had in the last 4 years? They were mutually exclusive decisions... one good...one bad.

Obviously, I didnt think that Dino was a long term solution, but I definitely was not one of the "Gotta Go" crowd either. Thought the timing and everything was just bad and done in poor taste for a guy that just gave us two back to back NCAAT appearances, with us going slightly farther each year.

Having said that, I've been "Bz Gotta Go" from pretty much day 1. The hire baffled me beyond belief, and have never been happy about it.

You sir, are a fucking idiot.

Obviously, I didnt think that Dino was a long term solution, but I definitely was not one of the "Gotta Go" crowd either. Thought the timing and everything was just bad and done in poor taste for a guy that just gave us two back to back NCAAT appearances, with us going slightly farther each year.

Having said that, I've been "Bz Gotta Go" from pretty much day 1. The hire baffled me beyond belief, and have never been happy about it.

This

I'm presently in a community theatre performance, and there are lots of teenagers in the cast. One of the cast members is a high school kid who wore all black clothes, painted her fingernails black, wore eyeglasses with heavy black frames, and lots of black/gray makeup. Early on, I jokingly asked her if she was planning to burglarize some businesses in her black attire, and she just gave me a bad look and didn't say anything. Over time, I started talking to her (along with the other teenagers) during practice about school, hobbies, friends, etc., and she began engaging in conversations in complete sentences without making a bad face. In the course of talking to her, I realized that she didn't have a father or father-figure in her life, so I started encouraging her especially with school, her part-time job, her singing ability, and so forth just to provide whatever little positive influence I could. A couple of weeks ago, she showed up to practice wearing contact lenses and a fashionable haircut. It was more of a "Joan Jet" style of haircut rather than a "Kate Upton" style, but it was stilll more fashionable than what she previously wore. And she had these strikingly deep dark eyes that I'd never noticed before. I casually told her that I liked her eyes. When I said that, it was the first time I'd ever seen her smile. Over the course of the next few days, she gradually started wearing colorful and fashionable clothes and more normal makeup. Now she looks and acts like a normal teenager, and she holds her head up and talks without scowling. I'm sure a lot of factors went into her dropping the goth act, but I hope I had a small part in it.

Back