• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"Dino Gotta-go"

I guess Rico is too dense to understand the Dino firing and Bzzzz hiring were 2 separate events. Personally I felt Dino should've got another year, but there were legitimate reasons to fire him. That didn't mean Wellman had to go hire Jeff [Redacted], I'm sure he had about 100 better choices. Sure it's easy to say in hindsight we'd be better off keeping Dino than hiring Bzzzz, but the problem was and still is the choice Wellman made in replacing Dino, not the choice he made in firing Dino.

Was never a Dino fan, didn't think he was right long term for the program, didn't think he was a particularly honorable guy...but it was the right move to have him as HC after Skip. His collapses in March meant he had to go...we became a late season joke, so I was glad to see him move on.

But with the incumbent ass-clown I only wish we had a chance at a March collapse. We can't even get out of the gates. LOWF.

Let's get back to the NCAAT.

Dino had to go. He was in over his head. The problem is I had faith in Wellman to not hire one of the few coaches in the country who were worse than Dino.

I disagree that firing and hiring are two separate events to be judged independently, but I've made that clear on a dozen other threads in the past 3 years so I'll let it go this time.

I'm not afraid to admit the Dino firing was NOT a step forward. He was a fantastic recruiter and not the best X's and O's guy. People who overstate his baggage are dumb, nearly every successful coach has had some baggage here and there. Sorry but I don't see us landing a coach who is a top tier recruiter AND a great coach anytime soon. And if we do... this won't be his last stop. Therefore I believe firing Dino was a MISTAKE. Hiring Buzz was a totally separate and MUCH BIGGER MISTAKE, although you can't deny that Wellman probably already had Buzz already in mind as he was contemplating the decision to fire Dino.

'Dino Gotta Go' was also a hurtful attack on the man's Italian heritage. If we can't say 'pickle sniffer' we should not say 'Dino Gotta Go'.

I disagree that firing and hiring are two separate events to be judged independently, but I've made that clear on a dozen other threads in the past 3 years so I'll let it go this time.

You can only disagree that the firing and hiring were separate events if you are to believe that Jeff [Redacted] was the only choice we had to replace Dino.

Firing Dino wasn't the wrong choice - when Dino was fired was the wrong choice. Hiring Bz was the worst choice.

You can only disagree that the firing and hiring were separate events if you are to believe that Jeff [Redacted] was the only choice we had to replace Dino.

The idea that there were other possibilities should be dead by now, based on how quickly we hired Bzz. Bzz was on the hot seat in Colorado, so his hiring required no necessity, yet we hired him barely a week after Dino was canned. I believe that Wellman fired Dino in order to hire Bzz. Even if that weren't the case, the decision to fire someone based on production, barring extra circumstances, is only as good as the production you get from their successor.

Should have waited one more year for Dino. That team was awful, Dino might have won 10 or 12 games (instead of Bz, who won 8), and then everyone would have been united around firing Dino, who was a terrible game coach and not a long term solution, at all. Make a good hire, and things are great, but you are making a bold move by pulling the trigger on Dino, so you HAVE to have a great hire lined up.

Instead, Ron made two very bold moves: (1) firing a successful coach; and (2) rolling the dice on a wildly unsuccessful coach. In hindsight, he should have waited another year to get rid of Dino, and clearly should have hired a much better coach than Bz. It is the public persona of Bzz that, to me, is the biggest indictment of Ron's hiring him. The guy was never going to win a press conference. If you can't do that, how can you recruit effectively? You simply cannot hire that guy on the heels of the bold move of firing Dino a year early.

But, I absolutely supported getting rid of Dino when he did.

Guess not

The idea that there were other possibilities should be dead by now, based on how quickly we hired Bzz. Bzz was on the hot seat in Colorado, so his hiring required no necessity, yet we hired him barely a week after Dino was canned. I believe that Wellman fired Dino in order to hire Bzz. Even if that weren't the case, the decision to fire someone based on production, barring extra circumstances, is only as good as the production you get from their successor.

The decision to fire Gaudio, and the search for a new coach began 3+ weeks before we officially fired him. We struck out on our targets and still carried through with firing him and hiring BeenSuckingDick.

The decision to fire Gaudio, and the search for a new coach began 3+ weeks before we officially fired him. We struck out on our targets and still carried through with firing him and hiring BeenSuckingDick.

Links?

Even if you believe Wellman didn't CONSIDER other options that doesn't mean there WEREN'T other options. It's not that damn hard to understand. The question as it stands is: Could Wake have upgraded its basketball coach when Dino Gaudio was fired? The answer is unequivocally yes. End of story.

Should have waited one more year for Dino. That team was awful, Dino might have won 10 or 12 games (instead of Bz, who won 8), and then everyone would have been united around firing Dino, who was a terrible game coach and not a long term solution, at all. Make a good hire, and things are great, but you are making a bold move by pulling the trigger on Dino, so you HAVE to have a great hire lined up.

Instead, Ron made two very bold moves: (1) firing a successful coach; and (2) rolling the dice on a wildly unsuccessful coach. In hindsight, he should have waited another year to get rid of Dino, and clearly should have hired a much better coach than Bz. It is the public persona of Bzz that, to me, is the biggest indictment of Ron's hiring him. The guy was never going to win a press conference. If you can't do that, how can you recruit effectively? You simply cannot hire that guy on the heels of the bold move of firing Dino a year early.

But, I absolutely supported getting rid of Dino when he did.

LOL

Back