• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dino: WFU source sez atmosphere in AD is "toxic"

Change will happen, but it will happen at Wake Forest speed.

The scenario I see playing out: Hatch finishes Wake Will campaign (scheduled to end in 2018) and then announces retirement probably 6-12 months thereafter (sometime in 2019). New president search takes a year or so. Sometime not long after that, Wellman retirement will be announced.

Wellman is 68.He has been WF AD for 23 years. Gene Hooks was AD for 28. Wellman may want to hold on until he has the longest tenure of any Wake AD. That would occur in 2021, when he would be about 73 years old and, coincidentally, would be about a year after a new WF president is in place if my guessed at timeline holds.

Hatch has recently concluded two significant non-Wake Forest positions: Chair of the National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities (NAICU) and the NCAA Division I Board of Directors. He has one more big job to finish: Wake Will. Hatch serving as WFU president until 2021 would put his tenure length shorter than that of his four most recent predecessors, and 6 of the last 7.

If Wellman is still here until 2018, much less 2021, I will find something else to do with my time than follow Wake sports.

If Wellman is still here until 2018, much less 2021, I will find something else to do with my time than follow Wake sports.

I've already found other shit to do. Maybe with a new AD and competitive programs I'll get back in. I pretty much auto delete every email I get from Wake athletic or otherwise. It's sad really. I liked being a student there and alumnus until a few years ago.

Yeah. Doubt I'd ever return as a donor or season ticket holder if that happens. It would take a couple more years still to clean up his mess. And Wake would be losing out on my children, and many others, becoming fans as well. I'd hate to be the next AD dealing with 12+ years of lost fans, graduates and future fans.

Yeah. The next AD will be stuck with culture warriors more concerned with class and image than running a successful athletic program.

Change will happen, but it will happen at Wake Forest speed.

The scenario I see playing out: Hatch finishes Wake Will campaign (scheduled to end in 2018) and then announces retirement probably 6-12 months thereafter (sometime in 2019). New president search takes a year or so. Sometime not long after that, Wellman retirement will be announced.

Wellman is 68.He has been WF AD for 23 years. Gene Hooks was AD for 28. Wellman may want to hold on until he has the longest tenure of any Wake AD. That would occur in 2021, when he would be about 73 years old and, coincidentally, would be about a year after a new WF president is in place if my guessed at timeline holds.

Hatch has recently concluded two significant non-Wake Forest positions: Chair of the National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities (NAICU) and the NCAA Division I Board of Directors. He has one more big job to finish: Wake Will. Hatch serving as WFU president until 2021 would put his tenure length shorter than that of his four most recent predecessors, and 6 of the last 7.

So, just long enough to make sure Wake is completely irrelevant in football and basketball and then another year or two to shit on top of that grave. I am trying to remain optimistic about basketball and Danny Manning, but I don't think I (or Wake sports) can take another 6 to 8 years of Hatch and Wellman in charge.

ETA: FUCK YOU RON WELLMAN!

The BoT are a bunch of self-serving, arrogant, demanding caricatures who know ZERO about running an institution of higher education.

They might know how to run a business or a political campaign, quite well, but they have no clue how to run a University or Athletic Department (disaster).

Don't agree? Just ask a BoT member the last time they had a conversation with a student or faculty member. Not a meeting or glass of wine at a fundraiser, but a conversation.

I think that's a broad generalization. I was at Wake the same time as Ben Sutton and Jay Helvey, and I can assure you that both of those guys are big hoops (and overall athletic fans). In the case of the former, that's pretty obvious.

One policy that was instituted within the last 10 years or so is the almost complete banishment of JuCo students from Wake Forest.(and I'm not just talking athletes.). JuCo grads can be admitted, but very few credits transfer, thus, effectively, they are starting as freshmen, even after completing an AA. Wake used to accept high quality students from JuCo and they graduated from Wake and went on to successful careers. I have never heard a good explanation as to the change to not accepting JuCo credits.

Got to be trying to inflate the USN&WR ranking- to no avail so far as we've actually DROPPED from #23 to #27 IIRC.

To make sure as many graduates as possible pay as much as possible.

One policy that was instituted within the last 10 years or so is the almost complete banishment of JuCo students from Wake Forest.(and I'm not just talking athletes.). JuCo grads can be admitted, but very few credits transfer, thus, effectively, they are starting as freshmen, even after completing an AA. Wake used to accept high quality students from JuCo and they graduated from Wake and went on to successful careers. I have never heard a good explanation as to the change to not accepting JuCo credits.

Example of a buddy of mine form the 70's:
Surry Community College AA
WFU BA
Wake Law

Got to be trying to inflate the USN&WR ranking- to no avail so far as we've actually DROPPED from #23 to #27 IIRC.

The highest Wake Forest has ever been ranked was 2014, when we were #23.

Pretty much been looking for an attic to rearrange, finding a greeter job at Sams Club or Walmart to occupy my time with or maybe even studying to finally go into the monastery. By the time I am done with that friar thing we might be decent again and I can at least pray for us.

I think that's a broad generalization. I was at Wake the same time as Ben Sutton and Jay Helvey, and I can assure you that both of those guys are big hoops (and overall athletic fans). In the case of the former, that's pretty obvious.

Sutton a good guy no doubt, but culture change in athletic department needed.

Back