• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

DirecTV NFL Ticket - might be worth a phone call...

I read up on the Madden offer and it seems to be legit. Only trick to it is that you can't watch it on your TV (mobile and computer only) unless you hook up a computer to your tv. The DirecTV app might have the AirPlay capability but I'd highly doubt it. Mine should get here tomorrow so I'll update after I try it.

As of last season the Sunday Ticket app did not have direct AirPlay capability, but the newer iPad / AppleTV software lets you mirror the iPad screen so it should be pretty much the same thing if you just full-screen the video player portion of the app. From what I've found in prior years, the streaming quality on an iPad or iPhone through the app is far superior to the web-based version on the computer. I've tried running a cable from the computer to the TV and the streaming quality is not good.

Sounds like FiOS is currently unavailable at our new place (currently in the 13th month of a 2-year contract for FiOS), so Verizon is offering phone/internet + a DirecTv package instead of charging early termination fees. I'm interested, but not sure if our condo would receive a signal well (ground floor, backs to woods pretty much). NFL Ticket sounds money right about now.

Does it give you a DVR-like option to start a game late or watch later that night?

I'm about ready to give up Directv, but like starting games at 2 or 3 and catching up. I've also got kids, so pausing and replaying is a huge deal for me.

if you're ready to give it up, call them and get all the way to the final cancellation desk (2-3 layers in) and see if you can get the free deal. Then just set your genie to record 5 games at a time.

bump - anyone made the call yet for this season to try to get it for free? any new angles?

So far most forums are full of people striking out. The AT&T deal may have put the brakes on all the wheeling and dealing. Couple CSR's said to try back after the free week preview is over when they may be able to offer more deals. Some people have gotten discounts but nothing like the 50%+ that has been offered in previous years.

Pretty much works exactly as it did for the OP back in 2011. You say no, they put you through to a retention agent. He started at 10% off, then 20%. Nice guy but I told him I wasn't interested (get all 16 Panther games here w/o issue).

So far most forums are full of people striking out. The AT&T deal may have put the brakes on all the wheeling and dealing. Couple CSR's said to try back after the free week preview is over when they may be able to offer more deals. Some people have gotten discounts but nothing like the 50%+ that has been offered in previous years.

I mean, I was the OP from 2011. For now I wouldn't waste my time on it because the deals pretty much suck. The rumor is the compensation for the sales reps has totally changed under AT&T.

Does anyone here have experience with sling tv? I was thinking about cutting the cord with TWC. I really only use cable for sports anyway. My concern is losing Wake games. For $25 dollars a month I could get all of the espn chanels with sling tv. I know most of wake football/basketball is now on espn/raycom or NBC for the ND game. Are all of the ray com games now simulcast on espn3? I will also lose NFL and Canes games. I was thinking about also getting an hdmi antenna for the local channels.

I called and cancelled my Sunday Ticket this week. It was something like $41/month for 6 months - they offered me $32/month. I still declined and cancelled, but that is >$50 savings for anyone that already has Sunday Ticket and will continue this season.

Good idea. When do they charge it? Before or after the free Week 1 preview?

It automatically continues each year unless you cancel it. The first charge was in the my 7/27 statement - they bill one period ahead, so that was for the period through late August. They removed that charge entirely when I cancelled. I am not sure what happens if you start Sunday Ticket after the season starts - I assume it is just prorated, but dunno.

American airlines offering 25000 miles for making the switch

It automatically continues each year unless you cancel it. The first charge was in the my 7/27 statement - they bill one period ahead, so that was for the period through late August. They removed that charge entirely when I cancelled. I am not sure what happens if you start Sunday Ticket after the season starts - I assume it is just prorated, but dunno.

They told me you can cancel up until the sort of the season.

Just got off the phone with DirecTV (who are always pleasant to speak with, thankfully, as opposed to those clowns at TWC) and the cancellation deal they offered wasn't great, but it's something I suppose...they offered 20% off the NFL package and an additional $10 off the overall bill for a year. I guess $20/month total isn't a terrible deal, but it's not the free package you used to be able to get with cancellation threats.

ETA: Called to remove another channel I didn't even realize was on my bill and they knocked off another $5/month. So there's that, too.

Last edited:
if you're ready to give it up, call them and get all the way to the final cancellation desk (2-3 layers in) and see if you can get the free deal. Then just set your genie to record 5 games at a time.

Yesterday, They offered Sunday Ticket max to keep me. I still declined though as my parents have Sunday ticket and Dish was $40 less a month for the same programming and gave me Redzone Channel for free. When I'm wanting to watch specific games I'll visit the parents, otherwise I'll do like I usually do and watch Redzone along with my fantasy stats.

I just re-upped for the Sunday Ticket to-go app only ($200) as I don't have DirectTV, and it automatically upgraded me to Sunday Ticket Max ($360). It looks like they've added Google Chromecast to their connected device availability, so I'll finally take mine out of the box that someone gave me for Christmas last year.

I'm pissed at myself for not taking a closer look at the Panthers' schedule and my own schedule before letting my Sunday Ticket renew. I had plans Weeks 2 and 3 although I got to watch the end of the Texans game. Watching today's game on Fox. Bye next week followed by 3 national games. I didn't need Sunday Ticket to watch the Panthers until Week 9.

I'm pissed at myself for not taking a closer look at the Panthers' schedule and my own schedule before letting my Sunday Ticket renew. I had plans Weeks 2 and 3 although I got to watch the end of the Texans game. Watching today's game on Fox. Bye next week followed by 3 national games. I didn't need Sunday Ticket to watch the Panthers until Week 9.

#defeated

Alright so the wife and I just moved and have been working with Comcast/contractor about getting wired up, and in the location we want it, the current cable apparently loses too much in signal to be able to run both TV and internet. To get that jack wired up the electrician/contractor estimated it would be like $800-$900. Comcast didn't seem to care when I called today, being unwilling to offer really anything to keep us as a customer once I explained this added expense to them. So seems like DirecTV is the option - anyone make this change and what are your opinions?

Back