• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Disco Dan crushes Manning and Wellman from the clear eyed seats in Mytakeonwhatever

Yeah. He did.

The points are valid but using dook and UNC as examples of teams that lost talent to the pros? Really? When Wake can bring in 4 ACC starters and NBA 1st rounders in the next year we can talk about that.

Also talks about losses that FSU had and Clemson and Notre Dame having huge injuries this season and not performing nearly as horribly as Wake did. Good points all around by Dan.

Not to go dv7 but its amazing to me people are invested enough to know the specifics of other team's injuries and roster situations.

Not to go dv7 but its amazing to me people are invested enough to know the specifics of other team's injuries and roster situations.

sports_sm.jpg

Also talks about losses that FSU had and Clemson and Notre Dame having huge injuries this season and not performing nearly as horribly as Wake did. Good points all around by Dan.
Those are teams that weren't trying to dig out of a huge hole though...and then lost the 2 best players in the first two classes.

His key point is totally legit. "You play with who you have and Manning, in his four years as head coach, hasn’t stockpiled enough good players to overcome the loss of two others. That’s on him, and no one else." Last year everyone thought he recruited great and now it doesn't look very good. Besides seeing guys go to the pros (or other schools) and not recruiting well the year of the Giles war, he seems to like developing projects, and that's a bit risky too. He's just not a good enough coach to win with lesser talent.

I think we’ve been very fortunate to have Dan Collins and now Connor O’Neil as Wake beat writers. I’m sure Dan had to have a certain level of diplomacy in his writing in order to continue somewhat favored access throughout the athletic department while he was writing for the Journal. I always enjoy his writing and I have been reading all his articles since I was advised of his blog through this board several months ago. He essentially writes on Wake sports, his music favorites and some national issues. He writes clearly and enjoyably and takes more of a position now than he was able to previously.

Those are teams that weren't trying to dig out of a huge hole though...and then lost the 2 best players in the first two classes.

His key point is totally legit. "You play with who you have and Manning, in his four years as head coach, hasn’t stockpiled enough good players to overcome the loss of two others. That’s on him, and no one else." Last year everyone thought he recruited great and now it doesn't look very good. Besides seeing guys go to the pros (or other schools) and not recruiting well the year of the Giles war, he seems to like developing projects, and that's a bit risky too. He's just not a good enough coach to win with lesser talent.

That's the biggest takeaway for me as well. Not only hasn't Manning stockpiled enough depth of talent, but he hasn't gotten enough out of the guys whom he's invested the most faith, usually erring on the side of experience, even when that experience has proven that the flaws haven't been mitigated sufficiently through teaching, reinforcement and game flow management. There often seems to be a disproportional allowance toward the mistakes of "experienced" players while often being less tolerant of the mistakes of greener charges. But even more maddening is when he pulls a player, such as Donovan Mitchell, in a tight game when said player has a "hot hand", better match up or just a better chemistry fit for what we're trying to do.

we have the players

we should NOT be this bad this year

Indeed, we should have enough talent on this roster to have won at least 5 or 6 more games overall. And we should probably have another 2 or 3 ACC wins, especially when the large majority of the ACC is pretty ho hum mediocre. We've been in just about every game, but turnovers, bad defense and poor player combos have cost us a .500 record at the very least.

sure, but the guy needed to keep his job

Sort like people that helped the Nazi's in the war 'I didn't agree with them but what was I supposed to do'?

Lunardi thinks ND can make the Tourney, his argument is that ND was 12-4 with Bonzi - that gives them 6 whopping wins with out him. If we were spotted 12 wins we'd probably have 18 like ND, maybe.

Sort like people that helped the Nazi's in the war 'I didn't agree with them but what was I supposed to do'?

yes, Dan Collins is similar to a low ranking SS guard at an extermination camp. Except the extermination is of the hopes and dreams of WF fans.

Back