• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Economics & Trade

Can you flush your toilet in the interim ?
Thankfully I could (after waiting the 8 days it took just to replace the whole thing and complete the work), but I couldn't take my trash or recycling out around the giant hole that was dug, which especially compounds with recycling because it's a 2 week schedule 😭

Goddamn the government is totally fucking you over. You should pay more taxes.

Goddamn the government is totally fucking you over. You should pay more taxes.
Happily!

Does it ever get tiring being such a prick? I'm sharing my recent experience with inspections/regulations. FWIW the tradespeople who worked on this were also bewildered at how long inspections could take and how hard they were to predict timing wise (makes their lives harder to because they have to be ready to come back on-site at the drop of a dime presumably). I think they (inspections/regulations) are a net good but to me it sure seems like they could be understaffed for the area.

While not 100% relevant/the same as what 2and2 was talking about, I think 2009's point is quite relevant as far as pointing out why folks not involved in that type of work feel like the local governmental staff is underpaid and overworked when there are wait times like that.

Happily!

Does it ever get tiring being such a prick? I'm sharing my recent experience with inspections/regulations. FWIW the tradespeople who worked on this were also bewildered at how long inspections could take and how hard they were to predict timing wise (makes their lives harder to because they have to be ready to come back on-site at the drop of a dime presumably). I think they (inspections/regulations) are a net good but to me it sure seems like they could be understaffed for the area.

I see you.

I’ve enjoyed getting the info about the affordable housing market. I’m doing something in that space now.

This is one of the few things I have in agreement with Elizabeth Warren. https://www.cnbc.com/2024/01/29/war...well-to-cut-rates-ease-housing-pressure-.html

at this point the Fed should just cut 100 basis points and revert the yield curve. They need to do that and then stop screwing with everything. Most of the issues we have relate to the Nanny state management like we are some planned economy. Again, I say it Is NOT the Feds job to hammer wages, Housing has a supply problem which they have made worse.

I’ve enjoyed getting the info about the affordable housing market. I’m doing something in that space now.

This is one of the few things I have in agreement with Elizabeth Warren. https://www.cnbc.com/2024/01/29/war...well-to-cut-rates-ease-housing-pressure-.html

at this point the Fed should just cut 100 basis points and revert the yield curve. They need to do that and then stop screwing with everything. Most of the issues we have relate to the Nanny state management like we are some planned economy. Again, I say it Is NOT the Feds job to hammer wages, Housing has a supply problem which they have made worse.
People who are more familiar with economics can chime in - when rates lower, the financing cost of a house will go down, but won’t the competition for loans/competition for houses go up as interest rates go down?

Yes, in theory. But SFH prices have held up for the most part since the increases in mortgage interest rates. What has slowed in the Charlotte market is transactions, and inventory is down about 30%.

J Powell lord! The same day he speaks there is a new bank uh oh. I’m now agreeing with Elizabeth Warren on something wow yes rates need to come down,

the banks are the transference mechanism for monetary policy. revert the yield curve. Just cut 100 now boom! curve is inverted banks can lend.

then we need raise tax revenue. Somehow.

Definitely need these rates to come down. This is bullshit.

Another strong jobs report.

The picture of a U.S. economy that has defied recession predictions has also been bolstered by stronger than anticipated GDP growth in the final quarter of 2023. A hardy labor market and rising wages have allowed households to spend liberally, fueling a resilient economy.
Payrolls swelled across a variety of industries, after months of job growth concentrated in a few industries that aren’t sensitive to interest rate hikes. Professional and business services added 74,000 jobs in January, soaring past the sluggish average monthly gain of 14,000 jobs in 2023. Fueled by a rapidly aging baby boomer population, health care added 70,000 jobs, with the strongest gains in ambulatory health care, hospitals and nursing homes.
Retail gained 45,000 new jobs mostly at general merchandise retailers and manufacturing added 23,000 jobs though both industries have shown little overall change since early 2023. Government added 36,000 new roles, mostly in federal and local government, as wages have risen enough to keep up with the private sector.

Back