• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN/Dinich post-spring football report: WF #7

94Deac

Grouchy SOB
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/ncf/notebook/_/id/9239853/acc

7. Wake Forest: The Deacs are a senior-laded team, and as such, they should be expected to make it back to a bowl game. Watch out for a more versatile offense and some more explosiveness out of Tanner Price, Michael Campanaro and Orville Reynolds. After the nightmarish injury bug that hit this team last season, everybody should be healthy and ready to go for fall practice.

7 in the ACC or Atlantic?

Geez really? Is the league that bad this year?

It's not good. Syracuse loses Marrone, Pitt is nothing special, MD is god awful, and UVA and historically competitive VT are in the tank. There is no good football north of South Carolina.

And yeah, we should be good. We have most everyone back and on paper should have a winning team. Though I doubt there will be any repercussions if we don't win.

I have question about Nikita and the NFL. Dude is a fantastic player at this level at 260 pounds. But ain't no way he can play NT at the next level at 260 pounds, or DT in any system. And he's not big enough to be a 3 technique. Is he a 4-3 DE or maybe a 5 technique? Or is there any way he switches to play OLB in a 3-4?

Orville Reynolds emerged as a "potential star?" I guess I missed that.

It's not good. Syracuse loses Marrone, Pitt is nothing special, MD is god awful, and UVA and historically competitive VT are in the tank. There is no good football north of South Carolina.

And yeah, we should be good. We have most everyone back and on paper should have a winning team. Though I doubt there will be any repercussions if we don't win.

I have question about Nikita and the NFL. Dude is a fantastic player at this level at 260 pounds. But ain't no way he can play NT at the next level at 260 pounds, or DT in any system. And he's not big enough to be a 3 technique. Is he a 4-3 DE or maybe a 5 technique? Or is there any way he switches to play OLB in a 3-4?

No

Not fast enough for the OLB position....

We have most everyone back and on paper should have a winning team. Though I doubt there will be any repercussions if we don't win.

Can someone explain why "having everyone back" from a bad team means we will be much better than last year. Players get better, I get that, but we need major talent infusion rather than a slightly better version of last year's players.

Can someone explain why "having everyone back" from a bad team means we will be much better than last year. Players get better, I get that, but we need major talent infusion rather than a slightly better version of last year's players.

Because it has been one of the models where we have had good seasons in the past.

It also means the return of injured players.

I still don't know what to make of the Presby game, but that team that I saw play UNC was pretty damn good. Then injuries derailed the entire thing. That team that played UNC, but a year old with some talent infusion is going to be a solid team.

Really if you look at what Duke did last year (gawd, comparing Wake FB to Duke FB), that was a 5-7 team of Juniors that became Seniors and all of the sudden they are a bowl team. It isn't that hard to expect the same out of Wake.

6th in the Atlantic... behind BC
http://insider.espn.go.com/college-...2013-projected-acc-standings-college-football

6. Wake Forest Demon Deacons
Projected finish: 5-7
Win total range: 3-9 to 7-5
Chance to win ACC: 0 percent
The Demon Deacons have 16 starters back this fall, but those players have a lot of work to do to make Wake Forest a conference contender. Wake Forest ranked last in the country last year in generating value drives, possessions that start on the team's own side of the field and reach at least the opponent's 30-yard line. The defense gave up 2.5 points per drive (81st nationally), and special teams cost Wake Forest 2.5 points per game (117th nationally). Those units need to improve significantly this fall for the Demon Deacons to sniff the upper end of their projection window. Our data gives Wake Forest only a 59 percent chance of winning three or more conference games.

Historically uncompetitive.

Love those points per drive and drive start stats. It's tough to get really good college football data.

Wake Forest ranked last in the country last year in generating value drives, possessions that start on the team's own side of the field and reach at least the opponent's 30-yard line.

But we have Lobotzke. How can this be?

Because it has been one of the models where we have had good seasons in the past.

We returned more talent in the past. We peaked as a team when returning talent that was competitive and that everyone hated to play, win or lose. Now we're returning talent that no one fears and thinking it's going to result in a good team because we "return everyone." We got our asses handed to us 5 times last season (52-0, 42-13, 37-6, 38-0, 55-21), lost to Duke and barely won games over Liberty and State. It was 5-7, but it was ugly. We peaked as a team with talent that led some major statistical categories leading up to the Orange bowl and following seasons, even if it didn't translate to wins. Last season we were awful on offense, defense and special teams.

Last edited:
We returned a talented freshman class and some good juniors in 2006.

Do we have a Sam Swank waiting in the wings? That's the biggest key.

It all comes down to the OL. IF it can push people off the line, Josh Harris makes all-ACC. IF they can pass block, Tanner can find someone other than Camp to throw to. IF they can sustain drives, our defensive stats will be better just because they'll be sitting on the bench. LOBO failed to develope the OL, let's see what Himey can do. The spring game has shown us that he has a long way to go. I think we have too many IFs.

Do we have a Sam Swank waiting in the wings? That's the biggest key.

Exactly. People forget just how much our offense was built around our kicker. We won on special teams in the past. Our specials teams were absolutely awful last year.

Back