• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN/Dinich post-spring football report: WF #7

Exactly. People forget just how much our offense was built around our kicker. We won on special teams in the past. Our specials teams were absolutely awful last year.

Exactly. Forgotten in WF's other struggles; WF's special teams were rated at the very bottom of the 120 FBS schools. It went far behind struggles in the kicking game; kick-off and punt coverage was pathetic as was WF's return game.

Exactly. People forget just how much our offense was built around our kicker. We won on special teams in the past. Our specials teams were absolutely awful last year.

Some special teams rankings for you:

9th in FGs made per game (Swank)
1st in net punting
20th in punt return yardage defense

We were near the bottom (100 or below) in punt returns, kickoff returns, and kickoff return yardage defense.

4th in FGs made per game
9th in net punting
14th in punt return yardage defense

33rd in punt returns
63rd in kickoff returns
96th in punt return yardage defense

So from 4-7 in 2005 to the ACCCG in 2006, we got a better at some things we did poorly, but mostly kept doing what we did well as far as special teams.

Last edited:
Apparently that's the plan. People seem to forget that 2006 was one of our most injury-riddled years.

Watched the place kickers in the spring, and believe me, the only Sam Swank we have is our defensive graduate assistant.

With Lobo remaining as OC, not sure there's any point getting fired up about talent on offense. Defense and special teams, and a weak conference, will be the keys to success.

FWIW, and answering my Nikita question earlier, CBSSports draft site has Nikita ranked as the #21 DE in this next class. I think 4-3 DE prolly makes the most sense for him at the next level.

Charlotte is an overgrown community college Commuters who can't get into unc state asu or wilimgton

With Swank, we were essentially guaranteed 3 points when we crossed the other team's 40 yard line. Changes the way your opponent plays defense especially in late game situations.

Seems to me I remember a game at Virginia where Logrobo ran wasted plays up the middle not trying to give his kicker better position and left Swank a game loser 50 yarder - and we got the loss we played for but hell we kept it close- was not the only time ...... you build your team around kickers and punters and you play to lose.

Seems to me I remember a game at Virginia where Logrobo ran wasted plays up the middle not trying to give his kicker better position and left Swank a game loser 50 yarder - and we got the loss we played for but hell we kept it close- was not the only time ...... you build your team around kickers and punters and you play to lose.

Yep. Played to avoid Chris Long and set up a long FG.

cville -

FWIW, and answering my Nikita question earlier, CBSSports draft site has Nikita ranked as the #21 DE in this next class. I think 4-3 DE prolly makes the most sense for him at the next level.

I don't follow the NFL much....how many 5'9" 255lb. DE's are there ? Seems to me most are of the 6'4"-6'6" 275-285lb. variety, no ?

And....

rgb -

So we're not going to have any injuries this year?

Plus for sure, absolutely, positively nobody doing weed or gathered 'round the sideline heaters not caring 'bout their supposed teammates, eh ?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight !!!

Oh and did someone mention somethin' called 'special teams' ?

We practice that alot, right ? Right ? We have a designated 'coach' for that right ? Right ?

And the Offensive Line ? Honestly, we've had TWO - correct that - ONE ( Degeare ) decent OL guy in like 6 years and once again we have NOBODY within 'Honorable Mention' reach of All-ACC !

Somebody want to check the UNC basketball boards for Lectro, tell him that football season is almost here.

Looney was good. Oh, and I completely agree about Whitlock at DE - no chance. Just look at those dudes in the NFL at DE...not even close.

cville -

I don't follow the NFL much....how many 5'9" 255lb. DE's are there ? Seems to me most are of the 6'4"-6'6" 275-285lb. variety, no ?

And....

rgb -

Plus for sure, absolutely, positively nobody doing weed or gathered 'round the sideline heaters not caring 'bout their supposed teammates, eh ?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight !!!

Oh and did someone mention somethin' called 'special teams' ?

We practice that alot, right ? Right ? We have a designated 'coach' for that right ? Right ?

And the Offensive Line ? Honestly, we've had TWO - correct that - ONE ( Degeare ) decent OL guy in like 6 years and once again we have NOBODY within 'Honorable Mention' reach of All-ACC !

Back