• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN writer Eammon Brennan blogs about Wake censorship (post 31)

Doesn't really sound like the fanbase had bailed on him. Probably helped for recruiting......I wonder how recruits feel about our no-shows and constant disparaging of our coach.

The probably feel like their coach should get his shit together.

Our recruits saw the Joel last year before signing. You act like this is the first year that it is empty. Buzz cleared it out upon arrival.

IU after the 2010-2011 season (the THRID of 3 bad seasons) was 12th in the nation in attendance at over 15k fans per game.

Doesn't really sound like the fanbase had bailed on him. Probably helped for recruiting......I wonder how recruits feel about our no-shows and constant disparaging of our coach.

#BOOYAH

If Crean would have lost by double digits to Stetson on his debut I think IU fans would not fill that 7,000 seat venue

If Crean would have lost by double digits to Stetson on his debut I think IU fans would not fill that 7,000 seat venue

That's the thing, even with similar win/loss records, IU was more competitive than Wake, as evidenced by their KenPom standings in the 2nd year.

The Indiana super fans were very similar to the folks on this board in dealing with Crean in year 3.

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/24/tom-crean-brings-hype-not-hope-to-indiana-basketball/

Even calling for Stevens...

http://kentsterling.com/2010/03/30/...head-coach-for-indiana-university-basketball/

Internet Posters:

"I blame everyone who was ever associated with IU basketball, except Coach Knight and his players and assistants.
IU needs to fire Crean and hire Todd Leary- he knows Knight's system, and I hear he's looking for a job."

"Lumpy, you are correct. It is a coaching issue. There is talent on this team but they lack leadership. Leadership starts with the coach. The team also lacks discipline on the court as evidenced by the pathetic free throw shooting. Discipline starts with the coach."

"are you actually sticking by Crean? I just don't see how any rational IU fan can say that he is doing a good job. Sure, he has landed some recruits, and hopefully they pan out. But not eving making the NIT is a freaking joke. "

"I think its insane to keep a coach while his team has somehow regressed in year three of the "rebuilding plan." There is no evidence to support your previous claim that IU is even "slightly" better than last season. Is Crean really worth it to keep around for 10 years? he is stealing money from Indiana University, and its sickening. "

"This team is so pitiful. 4 Big 10 wins last year, 3 this year. Gotta love the improvement. "

"The thing is, people give Crean a pass because he is a good recruiter. I disagree. He recruited horribly his first three seasons, and if Cody Zeller wouldn't have picked us over UNC then his first four seasons would be utter recruiting disasters. He's not the right guy for the job, but we're stuck with him. "

"None of these guys improve. If anything, they regress. That is something that's very alarming when you're evaluating a coach.
Too bad Sampson was a cheat. We'd be a powerhouse year after year if he was still around. "

Now, I'm not saying [Redacted] is anywhere near the coach or recruiter Tom Crean is. But this is how fan bases react to 3 years of sucking. Pretty funny to read hundreds of posts calling for Crean's head knowing where they are now. Some of those were even written after they landed the killer recruiting class.

The Indiana super fans were very similar to the folks on this board in dealing with Crean in year 3.

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/24/tom-crean-brings-hype-not-hope-to-indiana-basketball/

Even calling for Stevens...

http://kentsterling.com/2010/03/30/...head-coach-for-indiana-university-basketball/

Internet Posters:

"I blame everyone who was ever associated with IU basketball, except Coach Knight and his players and assistants.
IU needs to fire Crean and hire Todd Leary- he knows Knight's system, and I hear he's looking for a job."

"Lumpy, you are correct. It is a coaching issue. There is talent on this team but they lack leadership. Leadership starts with the coach. The team also lacks discipline on the court as evidenced by the pathetic free throw shooting. Discipline starts with the coach."

"are you actually sticking by Crean? I just don't see how any rational IU fan can say that he is doing a good job. Sure, he has landed some recruits, and hopefully they pan out. But not eving making the NIT is a freaking joke. "

"I think its insane to keep a coach while his team has somehow regressed in year three of the "rebuilding plan." There is no evidence to support your previous claim that IU is even "slightly" better than last season. Is Crean really worth it to keep around for 10 years? he is stealing money from Indiana University, and its sickening. "

"This team is so pitiful. 4 Big 10 wins last year, 3 this year. Gotta love the improvement. "

"The thing is, people give Crean a pass because he is a good recruiter. I disagree. He recruited horribly his first three seasons, and if Cody Zeller wouldn't have picked us over UNC then his first four seasons would be utter recruiting disasters. He's not the right guy for the job, but we're stuck with him. "

"None of these guys improve. If anything, they regress. That is something that's very alarming when you're evaluating a coach.
Too bad Sampson was a cheat. We'd be a powerhouse year after year if he was still around. "

Now, I'm not saying [Redacted] is anywhere near the coach or recruiter Tom Crean is. But this is how fan bases react to 3 years of sucking. Pretty funny to read hundreds of posts calling for Crean's head knowing where they are now. Some of those were even written after they landed the killer recruiting class.

This is complete apples to oranges here. You already addressed the coaching ability. Tom Crean stepped into a situation where the school was under sanctions because of the previous regime. Bzz walked into a roster that had enough talent that it should have been competing to at least make the NIT and not been setting records for futility. He walked into a situation that had a roster of 2 walk-on's. Tom Crean came in as a coach whom had previous success on this level, Bzzz made 1 freaking NCAA tourney in his career. Crean had to completely rebuild an entire program from the ground up, and anyone that couldn't understand that is completely fucking stupid. Bzz went to a proud program, that was under no sanctions and was coming off a 2nd round NCAA appearance. Indiana fans that were unsatisfied and wanted him fired, are complete and utter morons. People calling for Bzz right now have every right. He has never proven anywhere to be a winner, Crean had been a consistent winner in his career.

The point is its funny to read their posts because they're exactly like this board. It's not a commentary on [Redacted]'s capabilities.

All that matters is wins. When crean was losing he was a crap coach and awful leader who got lucky Dwayne wade carried him to a final 4. Now Indiana is good and nobody wants him fired because he's winning.

The point is its funny to read their posts because they're exactly like this board. It's not a commentary on [Redacted]'s capabilities.

All that matters is wins. When crean was losing he was a crap coach and awful leader who got lucky Dwayne wade carried him to a final 4. Now Indiana is good and nobody wants him fired because he's winning.

Holy fuck! You just figured out how fandom works! You must be some kind of fucking genius!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to deacvision7 again.

I could guarantee you, that if Bzz had come into this job with the similar background as Crean, people would be a little more understanding. There would be grumblings but it wouldn't be the full outrage that we see today. Problem is Bzz was offered this job despite not meeting the qualifications Wellman (remember his mention of postseason issues for Dino) put out there.

IU is also a huge flagship school. Big difference. People in Indiana are obsessed with IU basketball. Wake Forest is 3rd or 4th in popularity in North Carolina (possibly in the Triad).

I guess logical consistency is overrated.

Hey thanks for making my point..........Buzz has it much harder to take a program from the bottom back up to respectability.

#Winning

Did Crean blame his players for those three years of failings? What are Tuesday's like at IU?

Most of the folks that have listened to Ron are pushing 80 and the idea of more wholesome players really appeals to them. Theysee Bz as a kind of overgrown boy scout going through the awkward early teen years. As Tories they are very slow to believe that these hardworking players won't turn the corner because Ron says they will.Generally speaking they are well meaning but they have been deceived. The next few months will make this painfully clear to most of them.

Most of the folks that have listened to Ron are pushing 80 and the idea of more wholesome players really appeals to them. Theysee Bz as a kind of overgrown boy scout going through the awkward early teen years. As Tories they are very slow to believe that these hardworking players won't turn the corner because Ron says they will.Generally speaking they are well meaning but they have been deceived. The next few months will make this painfully clear to most of them.

You mean they're demented and he is a charlatan.

They like Ron, Glenn Beck, Sinatra and scotch but not in that order.

Hey thanks for making my point..........Buzz has it much harder to take a program from the bottom back up to respectability.

#Winning

the way I see it, he's done exactly the #Opposite

Back