• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN's John Saunders -- Passes Away at 61

Are you guys being facetious? He talked about being Canadian and playing hockey tons of times, especially on The Sports Reporters.

From all corners, John Saunders seemed to be beloved by all those around him. A poster who knew him said how truly nice a man JS was.

He will be missed. Thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

RIP

Who the hell watches The Sports Reporters?

Very sad. Seemed like a stand-up dude, which is rare in ESPN's macho d-bag culture.

Berman's leaving after this NFL season. Wanted the retirement tour

Compare that to TJ announcing his retirement a week before it happened and leaving after the HOF ceremony.

Reminds me of Kobe and Duncan.

He did talk about Canada and hockey a lot. Didn't realize Sports Reporters was still on. Did it move to ESPN2? That was a good show when it was the only one of its kind years ago. Now ESPN has about 6 similar shows a day instead of 1 a week....plus Lupica, Ryan, Whitlock, Rhoden, etc. could all be very annoying.

RIP John Saunders. You were one of the best.

Tirico was just talking about him on NBC. You could tell he was devastated.

I have pet peeves which are at war with each other. On the first hand, I cringe when the media plays 9-1-1 tapes. I feel like that is voyeurism at its worst and might have a chilling effect. My vague memory was the caller from the 9-1-1 call for Michael Jackson was shrouded in secrecy and evasive. Those things should be confidential.

On the other hand, I don't like it when a person dies unexpectedly and they don't announce a cause of death. Last thing I'd want is to go Tango Uniform tomorrow as a micro-old and have no explanation circulated because I'm sure people would be like "No cause of death? When did he get into AEA?" I feel like the dead, who can't defend themselves from improper conclusions and inferences, deserve some kind of voice. Even if you do go full-Caradine, something like "He was found deceased in his home Saturday night". Utter silence seems like an invitation for speculation.

Either way, this sucks. Saunders seemed like a good dude. Heard plenty of unflattering things about Berman and Tirico, but not a peep regarding Saunders. Colleagues coming out in force to rep the guy. Sucks.

Gotta be heart attack if not an accident, right?

And if it was something like a car accident, I'm sure the news would have come out about a bad wreck in Bristol or something.

Gotta be heart attack if not an accident, right?

And if it was something like a car accident, I'm sure the news would have come out about a bad wreck in Bristol or something.

<reckless speculation> he was outspoken about depression and mental health. I wouldn't rule out suicide.

Nor a hockey player...can't ever recall him mentioning it in all the years I've heard him....

Because it was never about him.

<reckless speculation> he was outspoken about depression and mental health. I wouldn't rule out suicide.

I hate that I had the same thought, but I did. "Died unexpectedly" is technically true (at least from the POV of the audience), even if that's what happened.

It entered my head as well, especially with the "no signs of foul play" being mentioned.

I don't watch Sports Reporters either but I did see a clip of him last month when his parting shot was about Duncan retiring. He did it the Sunday after Duncan retired and it was very good and tasteful.

Back